Which software is best for GR gameplay recordings?

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Soltys
GeneRally Trackmaster

Which software is best for GR gameplay recordings?

Post by Soltys »

As in subject I wonder which recording software is the best for recordind GR gameplay, I tried Fraps and it didn't go smooth, other apps didn't record a thing from GR :(. Does anyone has some experience in that?
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Re: Which software is best for GR gameplay recordings?

Post by LongBow »

I have used HyperCam for all my videos, however I have noticed that hc had some problems working under win XP back than.
There are some tricks that you can use for better GR recording (it works with all programs):

- dont use any compression method while recording. You will get bigger video files but the CPU usage will be lower, allowing you capture more frames per second.
- dont capture direct GR gameplay but the gameplay replay instead. Set the replay rate to 1/2 or even less and that record with the software with less frames per second that usual. This will lower CPU usage giving you smother video in the end. Of course you will need to speed up the recorded video in order to get a "realistic" GR gameplay. But all this is done in post recording phase.
- record only the desired area and not the full screen (unless is strictly necessary). Most program allows to set a recording window. This will lower the CPU usage.
- after you have the recording software and GR running as well, go back to desktop and run the task manager setting the CPU priority for the recording software. This should help you in the recording process.

Of course you need to play a little bit with all those tips in combination with the recording software settings tt get the best result :roll:

I remember that I used 10 hours to make my first video and it was only 10 seconds long :sweatdrop:

I hope this can help you Soltys :wave:
Soltys
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Soltys »

Thanks Mate! I thought you'll be the one who can help with that as you were the first who introduced video to the GR :) I'll inform you as soon as I test it out! Thanks again!
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Soltys wrote:...as you were the first who introduced video to the GR :)
...well not really :roll:
As far as I can remember It was RFNagel who did the first :gr: videos...

Let me know how you are doing with you videos :mrgreen: