Colours In Trackmaking

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Niko K

Colours In Trackmaking

Post by Niko K »

I'm trying to get through the basics of trackmaking and couldn't find any info on this from search.

When working on the landmap with paint or any other external program, how do you guys do the custom colours on tracks? As an example the yellow and black kerbs, the yellow I understand as it can be found as a default colour in generally colour palette, but the black I don't, because if I use pitch black from Paint, it appears ok in editors, but in-game it becomes transparent. If I use the oil colour it's no surprise that it makes the handling on kerbs rather akward.

Do you guys go absolutely freestyle with all of the colours in Paint (or Gimp/Photoshop) and if so, how do you diffenciate if or not you're using a colour that GeneRally identifies as some kind of pre-defined surface, such as gravel as an example? I'd really enjoy trackmaking more if I wouldn't be constricted to the basic GeneRally colours only.

I'm an advanced user of Photoshop, but I'd rather use Paint to make the landmap as it works better for pixel by pixel kind of work and I really lack knowledge in that area.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Colours In Trackmaking

Post by TuomoH »

Can't answer to all of your questions but here's at least something:
Fake Messiah wrote:When working on the landmap with paint or any other external program, how do you guys do the custom colours on tracks? As an example the yellow and black kerbs, the yellow I understand as it can be found as a default colour in generally colour palette, but the black I don't, because if I use pitch black from Paint, it appears ok in editors, but in-game it becomes transparent. If I use the oil colour it's no surprise that it makes the handling on kerbs rather akward.
Black is always oil.
Do you guys go absolutely freestyle with all of the colours in Paint (or Gimp/Photoshop) and if so, how do you diffenciate if or not you're using a colour that GeneRally identifies as some kind of pre-defined surface, such as gravel as an example? I'd really enjoy trackmaking more if I wouldn't be constricted to the basic GeneRally colours only.
You can only use the predefined surfaces, there are no workarounds. In other words, there are only 14 possible colors than can be used for lmap art and they all are certain surfaces.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I use the combination of Paint and PS in trackmaking, as you said, pixel by pixel things with paint, and for example textures and dithering with Photoshop.

You can make a lmap with TE where you put all the colors of the game on the map, and then choose the colors with eye drop tool in paint or photoshop. You can also create a pallette with GR colors in PS.

Darjo made a couple of video tutorials, with them you might learn some usage of Photoshop for trackmaking. http://www.youtube.com/user/GRDiSi
Niko K

Post by Niko K »

Both replies were immensely helpful and left no further questions. :bg:

Cheers guys!
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I have a question: what are the RGB colors for gravel2 and sand2?
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Gravel 2 not at all, it will appear on the track when you drive over gravel 1.
Sand 2 is also known as "border". if you put tarmac on grass e.g. in TE, it's the border colour, beyond the white line.