Carmaking: Disappearing fenders

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Anoniusz

Carmaking: Disappearing fenders

Post by Anoniusz »

Hi!

I'm onto making some cars, and I ran into a wall. :headbang:

Thing is, that I made a Porsche 911 and at some angles, front fenders disappear, revealing tires. I've attached a pic, that should explain everything. As you probably notice, that ruin whole design so I was wondering, is there any way to solve that problem?
Garbre
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Carmaking: Disappearing fenders

Post by Garbre »

I hate this effect too! :mad: Not so long ago, I've tried to make a gokart. I've designed its outlook on paper, even counted the vertexes and polies it needed. But the modell had polygons which crossed each other. In the game it looked like GR couldn't decide which one to show on top of the another. Unfortunetly I don't know how to solve it, but there are some carmakers here who knows everything about the art of carmaking. I want to know the solution too!
Last edited by Garbre on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always sign your every work in GR! Or use .txt files to inform us about ownership!
*My tracks* Contact me on garbregr1.2@gmail.com
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

I suppose it should be a poly order problem, although neither I do know what would be the best solution... :?
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Anoniusz, if you email me the car, I'll look at fixing it for you. I doubt it's a poly order issue, more a vertex/wheel value issue. ;)
Anoniusz

Post by Anoniusz »

Lukeno94 wrote:Anoniusz, if you email me the car, I'll look at fixing it for you. I doubt it's a poly order issue, more a vertex/wheel value issue. ;)
Thank you Lukeno94. Is it ok, if throw a *.zip file as an attachment to this post? As if for the car, I would like to have the wheelbase as it is, since I made a pack of cars on the same "chassis" and I would like to keep them competitive.
Herbal wrote:I suppose it should be a poly order problem, although neither I do know what would be the best solution... :?
I did check that, and I'm quite sure that polys are ok, but thanks anyway. :bg:

Porsche_911_GT3_RS_WIP.zip
Work in progress...
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, I couldn't fix the front-on glitch (although it looks a bit better perhaps?), but I've fixed the others:

Also, a couple of pointers:

1: Your Y value was quite high, so I set it to 0.4 for better ride height
2: I moved the car up from -0.1 Y minimum in the modelling to 0 to go with the ride height change
3: I would tweak the wheelbase so it wasn't unbalanced (1.7 Z front vs 1.9 Z rear for the actual body: set both to 1.8) for better crash detection.
4: The wheels have been shrunk in my attempt to fix the glitch: you might get away with increasing them back to 0.38.
Attachments
hmm.png
Porsche_911_GT3_RS_WIP.zip
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Anoniusz

Post by Anoniusz »

Lukeno94 wrote:Well, I couldn't fix the front-on glitch (although it looks a bit better perhaps?), but I've fixed the others:

Also, a couple of pointers:

1: Your Y value was quite high, so I set it to 0.4 for better ride height
2: I moved the car up from -0.1 Y minimum in the modelling to 0 to go with the ride height change
3: I would tweak the wheelbase so it wasn't unbalanced (1.7 Z front vs 1.9 Z rear for the actual body: set both to 1.8) for better crash detection.
4: The wheels have been shrunk in my attempt to fix the glitch: you might get away with increasing them back to 0.38.
Thanks Lukeno94 for your input. I did apply recommended changes, and It does look better, although it's still not ideal. Oh, I guess I will have to live with that.

PS. The file you posted, seems identical with the one I provide. That was on purpose?... :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

There are two cars in the file. ;)