time trials are faster than races?

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Mari

time trials are faster than races?

Post by Mari »

Hi everyone,

I noticed that when I drive in a race with other AI-cars, my laptimes are much slower (more than a second) than in time-trial mode with a ghost.
Even if their is just one other Car that doesn't bother or blocks me and I drive exactly the same way I did when I was hotlapping alone, laptimes are much worse.

I already searched for it, but couldn't find any relating topic.
I wanted to ask if this has happened to you before and if this is normal (and if yes,why?) or some kind of bug.

Thanks,
Mari
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: time trials are faster than races?

Post by egamad »

Hello Mari, welcome to the forums. :)

I've opened a thread asking the same thing..I just complicated it a lot more. :lol: Just skip to the first reply from TuomoH, and you'll find the answer.
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Paw

Post by Paw »

In GR you are usually faster when driving over skidmarks (depends on car). While in race you start with clean track, and the marks appear during through the laps, in time trial the track always acts like there were skids all over the tarmac. And that's why you are faster in TT ;)

@edit
egamad was faster then me. So that's the same answer you can get from his link :sweatdrop:
Mari

Post by Mari »

Thanks again you two :)

and sorry for opening another thread.
But isn't it more a bug than a feature?
I mean the idea of more grip on skidmarks is good and makes it a bit more realistic, but then it should work in time trial,too.
I'll maybe post it in the bug report thread,not sure if it will be fixable though.(they finally got souce code,right?)
Would be good as an overall on/off feature.

Thanks again,
Mari
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Mari wrote:I'll maybe post it in the bug report thread,not sure if it will be fixable though.(they finally got souce code,right?)
Since it's not really a bug (a bug being an error on the code whereas this seems more deliberate by the original coders, giving you the optimum circumstances for hotlapping), don't post it there. But feel free to add it to the Official Generally feature request list. :)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I like it this way, and the reason is: In a time trial, of course everyone wants to get the fastest lap possible. If the skidmarks worked like they did in races, you would have to drive many, many laps to lay down rubber all around the circuit before you could get the optimal amount of grip. With the way it is now, you can start driving as hard as possible right away...
I like short, simple signatures!
Mari

Post by Mari »

bduddy wrote:I like it this way, and the reason is: In a time trial, of course everyone wants to get the fastest lap possible. If the skidmarks worked like they did in races, you would have to drive many, many laps to lay down rubber all around the circuit before you could get the optimal amount of grip. With the way it is now, you can start driving as hard as possible right away...
Of course it's not a really "bad" thing and i get your point, that's why I thaught it could be made an Option to turn it off/on