GR+Win7

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Pahkasika
GeneRally Trackmaster

GR+Win7

Post by Pahkasika »

I recently said goodbye to XP and switched over ton Win7 64bit. But unfortunately it seems that GR didn't like that too much. The colours are all messed up and it only runs with 640x480 resolution. I tried running it as administrator and all the compatibility modes but no luck.

Is there some magic switch to get it working or is GR just a non-Win7 proggie?
A bear! You made a bear! Undo it! Undo it!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GR+Win7

Post by Mad Dan »

I saw something on egamad´s website but I´m not sure how it works ;-)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Does XP Mode not fix the problem? As you've got a valid code for XP, it's worth a try anyway.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Welcome, Pahkasika. :bowdown:

Link to the solution mentioned by Dan on egamad's site is here. ;)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I have also the Problem that i cant switch to a higher resolution than 640x480 :( (Win7 Prof)

The XPMode of Windows7 cant run Gene Rally because of the bad Graphics Card of the VPC. BUT:
Virtualbox can^^ I can run Gene Rally at higher resolutions in Virtualbox (Windows XP) well. It is not that smooth as under a real System but it is verry good. The bad thing is it costs a lot of ressources and some people might have problems with that.

I hope this Problems are gone with 1.06 ;)

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I really don't get why Microsoft chose to emulate a card that isn't matched with the capabilities of your actual card: all new cards today still have XP drivers, surely?
Pahkasika
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Pahkasika »

Thanks for the help, egamad's fix did fix the colours in the menus but while racing they were still messed.

But, I got the colours fixed by checking both Run in 256 colours and Run in 640x480 boxes in gr.exes properties. Unfortunately, 640x480 looks quite bad when you got a 24" 1920x1200 monitor :P
A bear! You made a bear! Undo it! Undo it!
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Using the Graphics Card of your PC in a Virtual Machine isnt that easy. Virtualbox can do this, but only for OpenGL. And Gene Rally is a DirectX Game. But it is old and dont uses much ressources so its possible to run it.
And there are no Problems with colors or limited resolution. And it is like you are running Gene Rally in Window Mode ^^

Cu Crono
Attachments
Gene Rally running in VirtualBox (Windows XP) under Windows 7 in 1152x864
Gene Rally running in VirtualBox (Windows XP) under Windows 7 in 1152x864
Szculkiye

Post by Szculkiye »

For some reason explorer.exe messes up the colours of some games, including Generally.
Just shut it down through the task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc), under the processes tab.
Then open the file menu and click on 'New Task (Run...)', and start Generally from there.

Alternatively you could make a BAT-file using this code:

Code: Select all

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start c:\generally folder here\GeneRally.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
This closes down explorer and starts generally. Then, when you're done playing you just press enter and explorer starts right up again.

Edit: D'oh! Remind me to read the entire thread next time. This is essentially the same as Egamad's fix. :flip: