Making sounds for GR v1.10

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Making sounds for GR v1.10

Post by XYY »

Hello everyone.
I remember there was a discussion about the Sounds for GR v1.10 once (page five and six of this topic)
Now I wanted to make a sound, recorded with Audacity from a YT video. Audacity records with 44100HZ and as it seems we need 22500HZ. No problem. So I converted it to 22500hz. Testing in-game, it sounds good at first, but then there's no engine sound anymore. It always changes: 1sec sound, 1sec no sound. (approx. :D )
Back in Audacity, converting to 44100hz, it works all the time. It's waay too high-pitched then, not a real problem though, I can change it easily.
Should I make my sounds in 44100hz or in 22500hz? And what do I have to do for a constant 22500hz sound?

PS. If someone needs an example, I can post it.
Zaekyr

Re: Making sounds for GR v1.10

Post by Zaekyr »

I had some old sounds for my open wheel at 36k and they didn't work at all.I tried going to 22.5 and 44.1 and 44.1 is the way to go.It has something to do with how Generally and the Win 7 version of direct x don't get along (it seems they get converted to 44.1 k in processing anyway).What I did is rework the sounds (changing pitch and tempo and using filters) in audacity and I used power sound editor to make them mono since stereo doesn't interpret well either.I know it sucks to have to rework them,ends up being alot more work,but 44.1 k is tried and true compared to other rates that aren't "stable".At least that is what I found in my attempts.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Okay, then I'll try to use the 44khz's.
But it can't be W7 DirectX: I still use good old XP :)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Maybe this thread can help...and maybe asking Rich how he dealt with the update of his GeneRally Sound Pack Pro v8.0 can also help.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Ah, I remember this topic, but forget aobuht wit when I made this topic :sweatdrop:
Thanks, I'll make a 44khz sound then ;)