The Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ v4.2

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Hi, guys.

We finally have GR FAQ. :champa:

After some investigation Rich found the latest version of RSC FAQ (4.0 from April 22, 2005) and I updated it little bit with his allowance. Here it is:

==========================================
Compiled and heavily edited by: Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
Last update: June 22nd, 2010 23:00 GMT by Trigger Happy with permission of Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

FAQ Copyrights, Legalities, and General Information
---------------------------------------------------
All content of the Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ, (C)Copyright 2003-2010, Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel, and the contributors as listed below - All rights reserved.

The Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ ("GeneRally FAQ.txt") may be freely distributed in it's original unmodified and unedited form for any non-commercial use. It is an ongoing project based on user input and messages from the members of the official GeneRally forums at RaceSim Central and unofficial GeneRally international forum at http://www.gene-rally.com.

The newest current version of the Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ can always be found in the first message post in the message topic "The Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ" at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=236, contained in the ZIP archive "GRFAQ_##.zip". The latest version available on RSC can be found in the first message post in the message thread "GeneRally FAQ!" at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=104488, contained in the ZIP archive "GRFAQ_##.zip". Sign "##" is the current version number of the FAQ.

The Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ is best viewed using Windows Notepad or Windows Wordpad with "Word Wrap" off, and using Windows "Fixedsys" 9 point regular Western monospaced system font. To search through the FAQ, simply press the "CTRL" key and the "F" key simultaneously on your keyboard while viewing the FAQ file within Windows XP Notepad (in all older versions of Windows Notepad, left-click on "Search", and then "Find"), Windows Wordpad, or your web browser.

Table of Contents
-----------------
1.0 General GeneRally Game Information

1.1 What is GeneRally?
1.2 What are the minimum system requirements to play GeneRally?
1.3 Where can I download GeneRally from?
1.4 What are other players saying about GeneRally?

2.0 GeneRally on the Internet

2.1 Are there any message forums on the Internet where I can discuss GeneRally?
2.2 Is there a live chat room on the Internet where I can discuss GeneRally?
2.3 I have more questions about GeneRally not covered in this FAQ. Where can I find additional help, guides, utilities, and information about the game?

3.0 Game Features

3.1 Does GeneRally support Internet, Modem, or LAN multiplayer games?
3.2 How do I take a full-sized screenshot within the game?
3.3 How do I take a thumbnail-sized screenshot within the game?
3.4 How many drivers can race on a track at the same time?
3.5 I have previously seen screenshots with more than six cars on a single track! How is this possible?

4.0 Game Configuration and Options

4.1 How can I configure my driving controls, such as a keyboard, a gamepad, or a joystick?
4.1.1 What is the function of the "Goofy Reverse" option in the "Advanced Options" menu?
4.1.2 Why is my steering reversed when driving backwards during a race?
4.2 How can I change the sound effects that are used in the game?
4.3 How can I select another language to be used within the game?
4.4 Where can I download additional languages files for use within the game?
4.5 What are the functions of all of the various parameters in GeneRally's "GR.ini" advanced game options file located in my main GeneRally game folder?
4.6 How can I change the palette that is used in the game?
4.7 After playing around I decided to return to original default values of settings. Unfortunately, I don't remember them. How can I restore them?

5.0 Gameplay

5.1 How do I create a new driver for myself or an AI driver to race against?
5.2 How can I select another car for myself or the AI drivers?
5.3 How can I display any of the drivers' current statistics?
5.4 How do I clear the statistics of a driver?
5.5 How can I randomly select a group of tracks to race on?
5.6 How can I display a track's records or preview a track without actually starting a race on the track?
5.7 How can I display the name of any given track's author or any track comments added by the author about the track?
5.8 How do I clear the track records of a track?
5.9 How do I save and load games or seasons?
5.10 How can I see replays of a race? Can I record, save, and load replays?
5.11 What are the colored bars for beneath my car at the bottom of the screen when I'm racing?

6.0 User Created Cars and Tracks

6.1 Where can I download new cars from, and how do I use them in the game?
6.2 After upgrading to GeneRally version 1.05 or higher from version 1.04 or lower, all of the user-created cars that I have downloaded and installed have disappeared from within the game! What happened to all of my car files?
6.3 Where can I download new tracks from, and how do I use them in the game?

7.0 Game Hints and Tips

7.1 How can I play GeneRally without closing all of my other applications that are currently open and running? Can I play GeneRally for a while, and then switch to my other open applications without exiting the game?
7.2 Help! My Boss/Parent/Teacher/Spouse is coming! How can I quickly exit GeneRally before getting caught playing the game on my computer?
7.3 Can I listen to my favorite MP3s or other music files while playing GeneRally?
7.4 Why can't I hear MP3s or other music files playing in the background when playing GeneRally?

8.0 Miscellaneous Game Information

8.1 How can I determine which version of GeneRally that I have installed?
8.1.1 When will a new version of GeneRally be released? Are there plans to add any new features to the game?
8.1.2 Is there a way to get more objects for basic TrackEditor? If not, how do people get advanced objects and custom houses?
8.2 My race car just disappeared into the grandstands, what happened?
8.3 Help! I have accidentally run over several members of my pit crew! My car has landed in the grandstands and I have injured the spectators! How can I get medical attention for them? Will my fans hate me for the rest of my life?
8.4 I like to race with the "Damage" option enabled, but the AI drivers always knock me around and damage my race car! How can I minimize damage to my race car caused by the other AI drivers?
8.5 What is the difference between tarmac 1 and 2 in cars physic, if not in colors?

9.0 Troubleshooting

9.1 I get an error message that says "A required .dll, DINPUT8.DLL is missing." when trying to run GeneRally. What is the problem?
9.2 GeneRally crashes back to the Windows desktop when trying to run the game or when starting a race. How can I fix this problem?
9.3 I am using a joystick or a gamepad as my input device, and GeneRally crashes back to the Windows desktop when trying to start a race. How can I fix this problem?
9.4 When I try to race with one or more human drivers on the same computer, the keyboard seems to lock up when four or more keys are pressed simultaneously. Is there any fix for this problem?
9.5 I can not select any video resolution higher than 640x480. Is there a workaround for this problem?
9.5.1 I started to use Win7 and since that I cannot select any video resolution higher than 640x480. How to solve it?
9.6 I recently said goodbye to XP and switched over ton Win7 64bit. But unfortunately it seems that GR didn't like that too much. The colours are all messed up!

1.0 General GeneRally Game Information
--------------------------------------
1.1 What is GeneRally?

GeneRally is an excellent freeware top-down arcade racing game created by the Räbinä brothers, Hannu and Jukka. [Contributed by RFNagel]

1.2 What are the minimum system requirements to play GeneRally?

Not much. GeneRally will run on most computers with only a 120MHz CPU, and as little as 16MB of RAM. However, some add-on tracks may contain many objects which may impact performance significantly.

The recommended system requirements to fully enjoy GeneRally is a 200MHz or faster CPU, 16MB of RAM, 2MB or more of free available hard drive space, a DirectX compatible display adapter, Microsoft Windows 95 or higher, Microsoft DirectX v8.0 or higher, a mouse, a keyboard, a sound card, and optionally a gamepad or joystick. [Contributed by GPR]

1.3 Where can I download GeneRally from?

GeneRally can be downloaded from the official GeneRally home page at http://generally.rscsites.org or http://generally.cjb.net on the Internet or from alternative GeneRally home page at http://alternative.gene-rally.com/. [Contributed by RFNagel and Trigger Happy]

1.4 What are other players saying about GeneRally?

"GeneRally... It's got yer damage modeling, yer pitstops, yer racing season, yer ghost car, yer nice AI, and yer track editor. It's one megabyte, it's fun, it's free... so go get it!" [Contributed by RRevved]

"GeneRally will never die... only the players." - Modified from a famous quote from another PC game, author unknown. [Contributed by RFNagel]

"GeneRally... The power of racing. Small cars, big fun!" [Contributed by SpeedCruzader]

"Real men drive 40 polygons." [Contributed by Lazer PsEG]

"Hannu's Prayer... Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!" [Contributed by Gibernau Fan]

2.0 GeneRally on the Internet
-----------------------------
2.1 Are there any message forums on the Internet where I can discuss GeneRally?

The official GeneRally message forum was placed on the Internet at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199, but after end of RSC project the official forum was closed. It will be opened in read-only mod as soon as RSC staff will be able to restore data from failed discs. (Note: the text of this FAQ presumes in several places, that this process is finished already). The community moved on http://www.gene-rally.com, where is placed unofficial international forum now. [Contributed by RFNagel and Trigger Happy]

2.2 Is there a live chat room on the Internet where I can discuss GeneRally?

No, no live chat room is available at this moment. In past existed The official GeneRally IRC chat room, which was available as a Java chat applet at http://generally.rscsites.org/chat.shtml, as well as via IRC at address irc.gamesurge.net or irc.us.gamesurge.net, port 6667, channel #generally. [Contributed by RFNagel and Trigger Happy]

2.3 I have more questions about GeneRally not covered in this FAQ. Where can I find additional help, guides, utilities, and information about the game?

You can find more help in message topics "Help & Advice" at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=10. Or check the message thread of official forum "Have any questions about GeneRally?" at http://forum.racesimcentral.com.org/sho ... hp?t=80314 for other guides, utilities, information, tutorials, and Internet links related to the game placed on official forum. [Contributed by RFNagel and Trigger Happy]

3.0 Game Features
-----------------
3.1 Does GeneRally support Internet, Modem, or LAN multiplayer games?

Currently, GeneRally supports multiple drivers playing on the same computer, but unfortunately at this time there is no Internet, Modem, or LAN multiplayer features. However, there are single-player "hotlap" competitions, as well as several offline multiplayer "league" competitions. In the offline league competitions you compete in a race against other AI drivers, and then your final results are judged or ranked against other human drivers who do the same.

Announcements, information, and rules for these competitions can be found in the "Championships" section of the unofficial international GeneRally forum at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=11, and information about past competitions organized at official GeneRally forum can be found in the "Competitions" at http://generally.rscsites.org/forumdisplay.php?f=307 on the Internet. Fresh competition calendar, standings of world rankings and full archive of international racing events including attendance, pointing, track pictures and many other details can be found on website of GeneRally World Ranking at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/j.sk/Generally/GWR/GWR.html . [Contributed by GPR and Trigger Happy]

3.2 How do I take a full-sized screenshot within the game?

Press the "F12" key on your keyboard within the game to take a screenshot of the currently displayed game screen. The screenshot will be in "BMP" format, located in your "GeneRally\Screens" subfolder, and with the incremental numerical filename of "Shot####.bmp" (i.e. "Shot0001.bmp", "Shot0002.bmp", etc...).

The resulting screenshots will be in the same resolution as your current GeneRally game resolution, which is set within the "Advanced Options" menu within the game. [Contributed by Lwing]

3.3 How do I take a thumbnail-sized screenshot within the game?

Press the "F11" key on your keyboard within the game to take a thumbnail-sized screenshot of the currently displayed game screen. As above, the screenshot will be in "BMP" format, located in your "GeneRally\Screens" subfolder, and with the incremental numerical filename of "Shot####.bmp" (i.e. "Shot0001.bmp", "Shot0002.bmp", etc...).

The resulting screenshots will be small 320x240 resolution images. If you wish, you can change the default thumbnail screenshot resolution by simply editing the "ScreenshotWidth" and "ScreenshotHeight" parameters contained in the "GR.ini" advanced game options file (located in your main GeneRally game folder) to any standard image resolution using Windows Notepad. [Contributed by Lwing]

3.4 How many drivers can race on a track at the same time?

GeneRally supports up to a total of six human and/or AI drivers racing on the track simultaneously. [Contributed by RFNagel]

3.5 I have previously seen screenshots with more than six cars on a single track! How is this possible?

It is simply a fake edited image. Basically, you take two or more screenshots and combine them afterwards using an image editing utility (such as Paint Shop Pro). [Contributed by K3rmiT]

4.0 Game Configuration and Options
----------------------------------
4.1 How can I configure my driving controls, such as a keyboard, a gamepad, or a joystick?

The default human driver controls for GeneRally are the up arrow, down arrow, left arrow, and right arrow keys on your keyboard. If you wish to use a gamepad, a joystick, or simply reassign keys for the game, left-click on "Options", and then "Drivers" from the Main Menu. Left-click on the driver's name at the top-right of the Driver Options menu, and select your driver from the drop-down box.

Then left-click on "Up", to the right of "Accelerate" under the "Controls" section. The very next key that you press, whether it is a key on your keyboard, a button on your gamepad, or an axis that you move on your joystick, will be the control that will be assigned in the game for acceleration. Then left-click on "Down" (Brake), "Left" (Steer Left), and "Right" (Steer Right), and do the same to reassign the rest of the driving controls for the game.

Note that currently GeneRally does not support analog acceleration or braking when using input devices such as pedals and joysticks, although steering is analog in the game. What this means is that there is not much advantage to using these input devices over a keyboard or gamepad, as you can not "feather" the throttle or the brake at all. As an example, if you move your joystick just a little bit forward, you will get 100% full-forward movement, and if you move your joystick just a little bit backward, you will get 100% full-backward movement. [Contributed by GPR]

4.1.1 What is the function of the "Goofy Reverse" option in the "Advanced Options" menu?

When the "Goofy Reverse" option in the "Advanced Options" menu is enabled, your driving controls are reversed when driving backwards.

For instance, if you have your left and right arrow keys on your keyboard configured for "Steer Left" and "Steer Right" respectively, when you press the left arrow key on your keyboard while driving backwards the car will turn right, and vice-versa. [Contributed by RFNagel]

4.1.2 Why is my steering reversed when driving backwards during a race?

The "Goofy Reverse" option is enabled in the "Advanced Options" menu. To disable "Goofy Reverse", left-click on "Options" and "Advanced". Then simply left-click to the right of the "Goofy Reverse" option to toggle it from "On" to "Off". [Contributed by Topi]

4.2 How can I change the sound effects that are used in the game?

Left-click on "Options" and "Advanced". Then simply select another set of sound effects from the "Sound Set" drop-down box. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

4.3 How can I select another language to be used within the game?

Left-click on "Options" and "Advanced". Then left-click to select your language from the drop-down box to the right of "Language" in the "Advanced Options" menu. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

4.4 Where can I download additional languages files for use within the game?

GeneRally has been translated to many different worldwide languages. If your native language is not displayed in the "Language" drop-down box, check the download section of the official GeneRally home page at http://generally.rscsites.org/download.shtml for additional or download section of alternative GeneRally home page at http://alternative.gene-rally.com/index ... e=download. ".LNG" language files available for download.

After downloading a ZIP archive containing language files, simply unzip them to your "GeneRally\Lang" subfolder. [Contributed by SirRally]

4.5 What are the functions of all of the various parameters in GeneRally's "GR.ini" advanced game options file located in my main GeneRally game folder?

Below is a heavily commented example "GR.ini" advanced game options file, with complete descriptions of all of the parameters contained in it. Note that you can edit the "GR.ini" file using any text editor (such as Windows Notepad). [Contributed by RFNagel]

--- cut here ---
[Replay]
; Replay length and memory settings.
; Memory required for replay can be calculated using the following formula:
; Memory_Usage = 1800 * Number_of_Players * Length / FrameStep
Length = 600 ; Maximum duration of recorded replay in seconds (default = 600).
FrameStep = 5 ; Record every FrameStep(th) frame (default = 5).

[Graphics]
; Graphics and video settings.
VideoMemory = autodetect ; Total amount of video memory in kilobytes (default = autodetect). The game uses either this value, or the automatically detected value (whichever is greater).
FasterTrackPreview = 0 ; Faster track info preview window (0 = off (default), 1 = no object drawing in track info preview window).
TyreAutoSort = 1 ; Tire drawing method (0 = off, 1 = automatically sort the tires drawn for higher visual quality of the vehicles (default)).

[Viewport]
; Camera override settings.
ViewAngle = default ; Track camera view angle override in degrees (default = track default, 10 to 90 (track editor limits), 0 to 360 (maximum limits)).
Rotation = default ; Track camera rotation override in degrees (default = track default, 0 to 360 (0 to 180 = 0 to 180 in track editor, 181 to 359 = -179 to -1 in track editor)).
Zoom = default ; Track camera zoom override in steps (default = track default, 10 to 255 (track editor limits), 0 to 255 (maximum limits)). Use lower values for closer zoom.

[Misc]
; Miscellaneous settings.
AlternativeSpeedSetting = 0 ; Game speed setting method (0 = v1.03 (default), 1 = v1.02 (may result in smoother gameplay on certain computers)).
ScreenshotWidth = 320 ; F11 preview screenshot width (default = 320, valid standard resolution values = 320, 512, 640, 800, 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600).
ScreenshotHeight = 240 ; F11 preview screenshot height (default = 240, valid standard resolution values = 240, 384, 480, 600, 768, 864, 960, 1200).
ScreenshotFormat = BMP ; File format for F11 preview screenshots (default = BMP). Currently only BMP format is supported.
PaletteFile = GR.pal ; Global game palette in Microsoft palette format used for all gameplay graphics. Path can be specified to the location of the palette file.
--- cut here ---

4.6 How can I change the palette that is used in the game?

Open gr.ini, scroll a little bit down and change palettefile to what you want to have and save the gr.ini.
--- cut here ---
; Default: gr.pal
PaletteFile = gr.pal
--- cut here ---
to
--- cut here ---
; Default: gr.pal
PaletteFile = palettename.pal
--- cut here ---
[Contributed by TuomoH and Darjo]

4.7 After playing around I decided to return to original default values of settings. Unfortunately, I don't remember them. How can I restore them?

Just deleting the "Options.SET" in your GR folder will do the job. Do it and restart the game. [Contributed by The Great Falcon]

5.0 Gameplay
------------
5.1 How do I create a new driver for myself or an AI driver to race against?

Left-click on "Options", "Drivers", and then "Create Driver" to create a new driver. After typing in a name for the driver, left-click on the driver "Type" to toggle it to "Human" to create a driver for yourself or another human driver, or to "Computer" to create an AI computer controlled driver. From the Driver Options menu you can also change a driver's colors, set an AI driver's skill level, assign driving controls for a human driver, as well as delete any driver file.

After creating a new human or AI driver, left-click on "OK" to return to the Main Menu, and then select the driver from the list at the top-right of the Main Menu. Selected drivers will be moved and displayed in the box at the middle-left of the Main Menu. [Contributed by Nielske]

5.2 How can I select another car for myself or the AI drivers?

Left-click on the car name (or car picture) next to the driver's name in the box at the middle-left of the Main Menu, and then select a car from the list of cars in the drop-down box. [Contributed by Nielske]

5.3 How can I display any of the drivers' current statistics?

Right-click on the driver in the list at the top-right of the Main Menu, or in the box at the middle-left of the Main Menu. Alternatively you can left-click on "Options", Drivers", and then "Driver Stats" in the "Driver Options" menu. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

5.4 How do I clear the statistics of a driver?

Right-click on the driver in the list at the top-right of the Main Menu, or in the box at the middle-left of the Main Menu, and then left-click on "Reset". Alternatively you can left-click on "Options", Drivers", and "Driver Stats" in the "Driver Options" menu, and then left-click on "Reset". [Contributed by RFNagel]

5.5 How can I randomly select a group of tracks to race on?

Left-click on the "-" and "+" buttons at the bottom-right of the Main Menu to define the number of randomly selected tracks that you wish to race on, and then left-click on "Select". [Contributed by K3rmiT]

5.6 How can I display a track's records or preview a track without actually starting a race on the track?

Right-click on the track in the tracks list box at the bottom of the Main Menu. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

5.7 How can I display the name of any given track's author or any track comments added by the author about the track?

Right-click on the track in the tracks list box at the bottom of the Main Menu. Then left-click on the author's name to see the track comments added by the author. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

5.8 How do I clear the track records of a track?

Right-click on the track in the tracks list box at the bottom of the Main Menu, and then left-click on "Reset". [Contributed by RFNagel]

5.9 How do I save and load games or seasons?

To save your game or season, press the "ESC" key on your keyboard during a race, and then left-click on "Save" to display the "Save Game" dialog box where you can enter a filename to save your game to. To load a saved game or season, simply left-click on "Load" at the bottom of the Main Menu, and select the saved game from the "Load Game" dialog box. [Contributed by RFNagel]

5.10 How can I see replays of a race? Can I record, save, and load replays?

To view a replay of your race, press "ESC" on your keyboard and left-click on "Replay". Press the "F1" key on your keyboard during the running replay for help with additional replay features and commands. After you are finished viewing the replay, press the "ESC" key on your keyboard to resume the race.

To save your replay, simply save your game as you normally would. Press the "ESC" key on your keyboard during a race, and then left-click on "Save" to display the "Save Game" dialog box where you can enter a filename to save your game to. The race replay for any given single race is stored within the ".GAM" saved game files, which are located in your "GeneRally\Saves" subfolder.

To load a replay, simply load a saved game as you normally would. Left-click on "Load" at the bottom of the Main Menu, and select the saved game from the "Load Game" dialog box. Then as above, press "ESC" on your keyboard and left-click on "Replay". [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

5.11 What are the colored bars for beneath my car at the bottom of the screen when I'm racing?

These are the status indicators for the car's Tires (green), Damage (red), and Fuel (yellow). The car's tires are fresh and new if the green bar is all of the way to the top of the green status bar, the car is completely damaged if the red bar is all of the way to the top of the red status bar, and the car has a full tank of fuel if the yellow bar is all of the way to the top of the yellow status bar. [Contributed by K3rmiT]

6.0 User Created Cars and Tracks
--------------------------------
6.1 Where can I download new cars from, and how do I use them in the game?

New cars for GeneRally can be downloaded from the "Cars" section of the unofficial international GeneRally forum at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=7. Some cars released on official GeneRally forums, which is in read-only mod, can be downloaded from its "Cars" section at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305 or from "Restored cars" section of the unofficial international GeneRally forum at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=22, if they are re-upload there by their original authors.

After you have downloaded the ZIP archive that the car is compressed in, simply extract the ".CAR" car file to your "GeneRally\Cars" subfolder on your hard drive. Note that in GeneRally version 1.05 or higher, all of your car files must be located in the "GeneRally\Cars" subfolder to be recognized by the game. This is the new location for all of your GeneRally car files. Older versions of GeneRally contained the car files within the main GeneRally game folder, and will not be recognized by the newer version of the game if they are located there.

The next time that you run GeneRally, select a driver from the list at the top-right of the Main Menu. Then left-click on the car name (or car picture) next to the driver's name in the box at the middle-left of the Main Menu, and select the car from the list of cars in the drop-down box. [Contributed by GPR]

6.2 After upgrading to GeneRally version 1.05 or higher from version 1.04 or lower, all of the user-created cars that I have downloaded and installed have disappeared from within the game! What happened to all of my car files?

In GeneRally version 1.05 or higher, all of your car files must be located in the "GeneRally\Cars" subfolder to be recognized by the game. This is the new location for all of your GeneRally car files. Older versions of GeneRally contained the car files within the main GeneRally game folder, and will not be recognized by the newer version of the game if they are located there.

Simply move all of your ".CAR" car files from your main GeneRally game folder to the new "GeneRally\Cars" subfolder using "My Computer" or the "Windows Explorer". [Contributed by RFNagel and Trigger Happy]

6.3 Where can I download new tracks from, and how do I use them in the game?

New tracks for GeneRally can be downloaded from the "Tracks" section of the unofficial international GeneRally forum at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=6. Some tracks released on official GeneRally forums, which is in read-only mod, can be downloaded from its "Tracks" section at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=306 or from "Restored tracks" section of the unofficial international GeneRally forum at http://www.gene-rally.com/viewforum.php?f=21, if they are re-upload there by their original authors. The Official GeneRally Tracks Database, which was located at http://generally.rscsites.org/tracks.shtml, is several years out of order.

After you have downloaded the ZIP archive that the track is compressed in, simply extract the ".TRK" track file to your "Generally\Tracks" folder on your hard drive. You can also create new subfolders within your "GeneRally\Tracks" folder to seperate and organize all of your downloaded tracks, such as "Tarmac", "Road Course" or even by author name.

The next time that you run GeneRally, you will see the track in the tracks list box at the bottom of the Main Menu. Left-click on any of the track's names to select them to race on. [Contributed by GPR and Trigger Happy]

7.0 Game Hints and Tips
-----------------------
7.1 How can I play GeneRally without closing all of my other applications that are currently open and running? Can I play GeneRally for a while, and then switch to my other open applications without exiting the game?

Press the "ESC" key on your keyboard at any time while playing GeneRally to pause the game. Then press the "ALT" and "TAB" keys simultaneously, and then release them. This is refered to as "Task Switching" or "Alt-Tabbing". If you keep the "ALT" key depressed, you can also press and release the "TAB" key multiple times to selectively switch to any of your other open running
applications.

Alternatively, once you are finished working in your other applications, you can simply left-click the "GeneRally" icon in the Windows Taskbar, or task switch back to GeneRally as described above. This is a real handy trick once you get the hang of it, and can be used for almost all Windows based games and applications. [Contributed by GPR]

7.2 Help! My Boss/Parent/Teacher/Spouse is coming! How can I quickly exit GeneRally before getting caught playing the game on my computer?

Press the "ALT" and "F4" keys simultaneously on your keyboard to immediately exit the game without a prompt. [Contributed by GPR]

7.3 Can I listen to my favorite MP3s or other music files while playing GeneRally?

While GeneRally does not natively support these music files, you can play them in any media player (such as the Windows Media Player or Nullsoft's WinAmp) in the background and race at the same time. There is no degradation in sound for either GeneRally or the music files.

Note that you will need a 300MHz or faster CPU in order to play GeneRally smoothly while playing music files in the background. [Contributed by GPR]

7.4 Why can't I hear MP3s or other music files playing in the background when playing GeneRally?

In order to play MP3s or any other music files in the background while GeneRally is running, you must first configure and select "DirectSound" as the audio output device for the media player that you are using. Note that this does not apply when playing MIDI format files or standard Redbook Audio CDs. [Contributed by RFNagel]

8.0 Miscellaneous Game Information
----------------------------------
8.1 How can I determine which version of GeneRally that I have installed?

Press the "F1" key on your keyboard from within GeneRally's Main Menu to display the "About" dialog box. The version number is in the upper-right corner of the "About" dialog box. [Contributed by RFNagel]

8.1.1 When will a new version of GeneRally be released? Are there plans to add any new features to the game?

Hannu and Jukka Räbinä are not currently working on any new versions of the game, as they are both busy with their educational pursuits. This does not mean that there will never be any new versions of the game released sometime in the distant future, simply that there will not be any new versions released at this time. Only time will tell, and we can only hope and pray (see "Hannu's Prayer" above).

For now, you can submit new ideas and suggestions for possible future versions of the game by posting a message in the official GeneRally forums within the message thread "GeneRally Features Request List" at http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=171348. [Contributed by RFNagel]

8.1.2 Is there a way to get more objects for basic TrackEditor? If not, how do people get advanced objects and custom houses?

Nope, sorry mate. The guys just combine existing objects or draw them directly to landmap with an external graphics program.[Contributed by die996, TuomoH, The lost Ninja]

8.2 My race car just disappeared into the grandstands, what happened?

The grandstands within the game actually have a small stairwell in the middle of them for the spectators to access their designated seats. Your race car has simply fallen through the opening of the stairwell. [Contributed by Dex Stewart]

8.3 Help! I have accidentally run over several members of my pit crew! My car has landed in the grandstands and I have injured the spectators! How can I get medical attention for them? Will my fans hate me for the rest of my life?

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done for the spectators. Most likely you will need to reload the track with some fresh spectators, and the GeneRally track maintenance team will clean up the mess during the time it takes you to reload the track.

Fortunately, the pit crew is nearly bulletproof, and quite a dedicated bunch of guys! You can run them over multiple times, and they just keep on going back into formation to service your vehicle. [Contributed by GPR]

8.4 I like to race with the "Damage" option enabled, but the AI drivers always knock me around and damage my race car! How can I minimize damage to my race car caused by the other AI drivers?

De-accelerate a little when racing near the AI drivers. You will usually greatly minimize damage to your race car (or may receive none at all) regardless of your current speed. [Contributed by Canadiens1160]

8.5 What is the difference between tarmac 1 and 2 in cars physic, if not in colors?

The values in car physic for Tarmac 1 is the tarmac, which is not tracked by wheels and tarmac 2 is tracked one. And same it is for Sand 1 and Sand 2, Gravel 1 and Gravel 2 respectively. [Contributed by Ryumi]

9.0 Troubleshooting
-------------------
9.1 I get an error message that says "A required .dll, DINPUT8.DLL is missing." when trying to run GeneRally. What is the problem?

This indicates that you do not have Microsoft DirectX version 8.0 or higher installed, which is required in order to run the game. Download and install the newest version of DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.asp. [Contributed by RFNagel]

9.2 GeneRally crashes back to the Windows desktop when trying to run the game or when starting a race. How can I fix this problem?

One common cause of this problem is if the "Options.set" general game options file (located in your main GeneRally game folder) becomes corrupt. Simply delete this file and run GeneRally again. [Contributed by RFNagel]

9.3 I am using a joystick or a gamepad as my input device, and GeneRally crashes back to the Windows desktop when trying to start a race. How can I fix this problem?

One common cause of this problem is if you are using a joystick or a gamepad as your input device, and it has accidently become disconnected from your computer. Power down your computer, reconnect the game controller, power up the computer, and then run GeneRally again. [Contributed by The Orange Mage]

9.4 When I try to race with one or more human drivers on the same computer, the keyboard seems to lock up when four or more keys are pressed simultaneously. Is there any fix for this problem?

Many computers and keyboards ignore certain combinations of keys when pressed simultaneously. Simply put, this is a limitation of your hardware. The keyboard controller chip on your computer's motherboard can not process that certain combination of keys pressed at the same time, or the buffer on your keyboard is relatively small. You may find that another combination of keyboard keys will work properly. If so, simply reassign your driving controls (or another human driver's controls) in the "Driver Options" menu within the game to different keys on your keyboard.

To determine which key combinations will work properly on your keyboard, download the ZIP archive "TM_Keytest.zip" at
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/attachm ... ntid=68989. This ZIP archive contains the file "Keytest.exe", which is Thrustmaster's "Keyboard Test Utility". This utility will display a picture of a keyboard on your monitor that will highlight keys when keys are pressed on your keyboard, and can help determine which combination of keys will work properly on your keyboard when playing GeneRally. [Contributed by RFNagel]

9.5 I can not select any video resolution higher than 640x480. Is there a workaround for this problem?

GeneRally has problems autodetecting the installed amount of video RAM on certain video cards and onboard video chipsets. To fix this problem, edit the "VideoMemory" parameter contained in the "GR.ini" advanced game options file (located in your main GeneRally game folder) using Windows Notepad.

Change the "autodetect" setting to the total amount of video RAM installed on your video card (in kilobytes). As an example, if you have eight megabytes of video RAM installed on your video card, edit this parameter to read "VideoMemory = 8192" (minus the quotes). [Contributed by RFNagel]

9.5.1 I started to use Win7 and since that I cannot select any video resolution higher than 640x480. How to solve it?

The reason of this problem is not really clear. And the XP Mode of Win7 cannot run GeneRally because of the bad graphics card of the VirtualPC. But VirtualBox, which yo can download at http://www.virtualbox.org/, can. You can run GeneRally at resolutions higher than 640x480 in VirtualBox well by launching GeneRally there under Windows XP. It is not as smooth as under a real system, but it is very good. Using the graphics card of your PC in a virtual machine isn't that easy, but VirtualBox can do this, even if only for OpenGL. And GeneRally is a DirectX Game, fortunately it is quite old game and doesn't use many resources, so it's possible to run it. And there are no problems with colors or limited resolution. It is like, when you would run GeneRally in a Window mode. [Contributed by Crono]

9.6 I recently said goodbye to XP and switched over ton Win7 64bit. But unfortunately it seems that GR didn't like that too much. The colours are all messed up!

For some reason explorer.exe messes up the colors of some games, including Generally. Just shut it down through the task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc), under the processes tab. Then open the file menu and click on 'New Task (Run...)', and start Generally from there.

Alternatively you could make a BAT-file using this code:
--- cut here ---
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start c:\generally folder here\GeneRally.exe
pause
start explorer.exe
--- cut here ---

This closes down explorer and starts generally. Then, when you're done playing you just press enter and explorer starts right up again. [Contributed by egamad and Szculkiye]

--- EOF ---
Attachments
GeneRally FAQ v4.2.zip
(14.08 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: The Official Unofficial GeneRally FAQ v4.2

Post by Trigger Happy »

I forgot to say, that the FAQ is updated. New points are: 4.6, 4.7, 8.1.2, 8.5, 9.5.1 and 9.6.

Thanks to all contributors. :bg: