Modding GR - from where to start?

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
RacerBG

Modding GR - from where to start?

Post by RacerBG »

Im about to start modding GR game, but from where to start? I feel that I can almost everything except sounds. :mrgreen: I love to mod games and that is in my blood. :bg:

So guys give me a suggestion from where to start and links to useful programs which I will use. :)
Gentlemens, start your engines!
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Re: Modding GR - from where to start?

Post by LongBow »

I'm not sure what exactly mean by modding? You mean creating something like an 1967 F1 mod for GR with tracks, cars, sounds, palettes, fonts,... of that time?

I guess you should start with tracks as everyone else did. The tracks are just the first step on the GR stairs :D
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

LongBow wrote:I'm not sure what exactly mean by modding? You mean creating something like an 1967 F1 mod for GR with tracks, cars, sounds, palettes, fonts,... of that time?

I guess you should start with tracks as everyone else did. The tracks are just the first step on the GR stairs :D
From this kind of advice I need, thank you. :up:

So my first target are the tracks.

When I want to build a track, from what I will be needing? And which programs also?

Thanks in advance. :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

For trackmaking, only TE is needed (basically). But to obtain better results you should think about using external programs such as Paint, Gimp, Photoshop, Snakeditor whatever. :)
But if it's a mod of historical tracks, you should maybe look for some, because already good versions of historical tracks exist.
And if it should get a good mod/kind of your "lifework" in GR, I suggest you to make some basic experiences with other tracks first :bg:
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Trackeditor is your main trackbuilding base - it's included with the game. Play around with it's functions to see what it's capable of (a lot). :cool2: After you feel you have mastered the basics, you can export the land map to a .bmp file and edit it with image editing software, like the MS Paint.

My advice to you is to start with small steps. Observe some other tracks that you like here on the forum and try to learn from the trackmasters. When you manage to create something decent, post it on the forum and wait for comments on how to improve your future tracks. I also very much advise you to read THIS.

This should get you started. :ugeek:

EDIT: Ninja'd by XYY.
:evil:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I have got experience with MS Paint and with Paint.NET (creating photoshopped images mainly), well so I have all needed things, tomorrow I will work on that one. :bg:

And by the way I will make fantasy tracks for my fantasy seasons later on.... :cool:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

About tracks - open TE and learn, which colors are available and what they do in game. Same with objects, learn which are available and learn placing them (e.g. how to do smooth wall or which effect has hmap on each particular placed object), check function of other features there (how to work with checkpoints, pits and how to make AI line) and examine effect of changes of track settings (water, various angles and impact of world sizes) by various other experiments - this all will be discovered in few couples of testing tracks with end of making some one ''TE-only'' track as mature test, if you're really standing on solid ground.

Then continue to the tutorial section and tools to learn, how to edit lmap and hmap with higher virtuosity and time savings (the knowledge of Paint.NET will be good advantage), but remember - without mastering the placing of objects and full understanding the matter in TE your tracks won't ever be top - SnakeDitor or external editors will make your life just easier, but will not hide lack of skill in these basic matters - and be sure, people can see.

And as egamad (among many other great hints) says, don't hurry. And have fun! :popcorn:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Thanks I will try to do my best. ;)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

My irst track is maded. :up:

Well for the moment is REALLY boring track but I had learned a lot for the TE and how to use it that was my traget for the moment. :cool:

Its really, really easy to make tracks here its just awesome thing. I hope after some hours I will be ready with version 2 which will be a lot better.

As always the track is fully functionable so you can drive on it. :)

Say your comments......
Attachments
West Mongol.rar
Here is it.
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

RacerBG wrote:My irst track is maded. :up:

Well for the moment is REALLY boring track but I had learned a lot for the TE and how to use it that was my traget for the moment. :cool:

Its really, really easy to make tracks here its just awesome thing. I hope after some hours I will be ready with version 2 which will be a lot better.

Say your comments......
Georgi, if you release a track, you should open a topic in the 'tracks' section and post here. ;) BTW, I won't use PS for creating tracks because it's a so expensive program. :doh: :ugeek: :shake: :hide:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Bob Barker wrote:
RacerBG wrote:My irst track is maded. :up:

Say your comments......
Georgi, if you release a track, you should open a topic in the 'tracks' section and post here. ;) BTW, I won't use PS for creating tracks because it's a so expensive program. :doh: :ugeek: :shake: :hide:
Im not releasing a track yet, because its incomplete. ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Then use the thread in Tracks for discussing WIPs. ;)

http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13