Issues with car suspension.

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Maxaxle

Issues with car suspension.

Post by Maxaxle »

Hopefully this quote from an earlier thread of mine (showcasing the beta version of a car I'm working on) will explain my problem.
Maxaxle wrote:
Haruna wrote:Y-value in physics editor might be that "suspension" thing you're talking about. Avoid using 0 at all costs.
I was messing with it earlier, the problem was that either it was riding too high and/or having weird traction problems (like it was riding on a ball bearing mounted in the middle of the underside) or it was pressed to the ground and impossible to flip (in a bad way).
Paw

Re: Issues with car suspension.

Post by Paw »

If you can reproduce the issue, upload the car here, so we will have closer look.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Paw wrote:If you can reproduce the issue, upload the car here, so we will have closer look.
1st case, car is too high, its tires don't touch the ground: the regular version of the Furore GT has that issue:
http://forum.gene-rally.com/viewtopic.p ... 914#p55914
2nd case, car is a touch too high: I've attached it as "Furore GT2.zip".
3rd case, car is glued to the ground: I've attached it as "Furore GT3.zip"

EDIT: Thinking fairly seriously about leaving it at 0.25 or 0.3...
Attachments
Furore GT3.zip
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 176 times
Furore GT2.zip
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 180 times
ACM

Post by ACM »

The problem you're having is you have to physically move the entire model in the actual model editor in order to compensate. I've opened all three cars, and noticed you kept all their models in the same position in the editor, even though the Y value is changing their elevation in-game. The Y value you set for your car should be seen as the ground level in the model editor(in minus value).

Take for example; you've built a car model around the Y value of 0.6, suddenly you want to change the value to 0.2. What you have to do then to keep the same elevation for the model is raise every vertex, wheel and head by 0.4.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

ACM wrote:The problem you're having is you have to physically move the entire model in the actual model editor in order to compensate. I've opened all three cars, and noticed you kept all their models in the same position in the editor, even though the Y value is changing their elevation in-game. The Y value you set for your car should be seen as the ground level in the model editor(in minus value).

Take for example; you've built a car model around the Y value of 0.6, suddenly you want to change the value to 0.2. What you have to do then to keep the same elevation for the model is raise every vertex, wheel and head by 0.4.
I thought so, thanks, but now the problem is finding the best ride height (which is dang near impossible).