New GR version with old OS

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Flinzer

New GR version with old OS

Post by Flinzer »

Hi!

Is there any way to play any newer version of GR than 1.05 with Windows 2000 OS?
I´ve tried all the tricks I know to make this work but none of them have worked.
Basically executing either Track Editor or the game it self, always gives the error "xxx/zzz/GeneRally.exe is not a valid Win32 -application"
which most of the time means that your OS is too old for this application to work.
I´d really like to know if there is any solution to this since this old win2000 computer is the only one on which I can play GeneRally :(
And is it possible to participate in competitions with version 1.05? I´ve now read a couple of competition topics and haven´t found an answer... Or maybe I wasn´t just looking hard enough...? =)

-Flinz
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: New GR version with old OS

Post by Lukeno94 »

As far as I am aware, there is no way to do so. I would advise you update to Windows XP if possible, however I appreciate that there may be reasons that prevent you doing so.
Flinzer

Post by Flinzer »

Lukeno94 wrote:As far as I am aware, there is no way to do so. I would advise you update to Windows XP if possible, however I appreciate that there may be reasons that prevent you doing so.
Well it is possible for me to update to Windows XP, but then again this computer has so out-dated hardware that I seriously doubt that even GR would run smoothly on that configuration. I remember once having XP installed on this computer and it was seriously slow and laggy in every way. I think that for this computer Win98 would be the best choice, but that won´t really help me at all...

On every day tasks I prefer to use my laptop, but it has Ubuntu 10.10 installed on it. I saw a topic discussing about wine but it was on a mac. Would it be okay to make new topic about GR on linux? I think that with correct settings I´d be able to play 1.10 with linux+wine.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I think there will be a topic involving GR on Linux if you search. ;)
Flinzer

Post by Flinzer »

http://forum.gene-rally.com/search.php? ... mit=Search

Well...

It says that I am able to run GR on Wine, but as I´ve noticed most of the games won´t work without a little tweaking here and there.
I wondered if someone would´ve given me some advise on that. Maybe I´ll just try again myself then. :/
If I can make it run this time I´ll probably post some info here if that is okay :D