Competition Questions

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Spacethingy

Competition Questions

Post by Spacethingy »

Hi guys, sorry about the multiple questions in one thread, but they're all quite small...

Firstly, lots of competitions provide a downloadable pre-set-up Generally folder for convenience. Do I have to ask the Generally authors for permission to do this? Or does the freeware thing cover this?

Second, bit of a strange question... Do you guys have a kind of etiquette for when to start a new compo? I.e. would it be rude of me to start one quite soon, with quite a few big compos already in full swing?

Thirdly, what are the tags for compos in the Competition Sub-forum? The addon sub-forums have guides on what each tag means (e.g. [stc] = street circuit, [ral] = rally car).

Sorry for spamming... :sweatdrop:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Competition Questions

Post by XYY »

Hi,
I don't think that you're spamming the forum.
(1) I don't think anyone does this.
(2) You can start whenever you want, but you'll always get the advise to first participate in some (rather many) compos before you do your own. Also it's likely that there will be more interest in your compo when there's not so much happening at the moment. On the other hand, if there are 5 compos at a time, people don't really often join the 6th (just an example :D )
(3) [Login] if it uses a login system, otherwise [R] for race, [HL] for hotlap, [TT] for time trial, but I'm not actually sure that we pay so much attention to this... :D
puttz

Post by puttz »

Not spamming at all :)

No, you do not need to get permission to use the GR folder with the game in it. However, you do need to get permission for the use of any content that will be in the compo that does not come with the base game, or that the authors do not state either in the permissions thread or a readme that compo permission is granted to anyone without having to ask them. you should assure that any content authors do not forbid the use of their content in compos, or explicitly ask for you to get permission before using it in a compo pack.

Not that I am aware of, you can attempt to start a compo at any time. However, you might want to take into consideration what other compos are running at the moment and try to avoid doing a compo that is very similar to one that is already running. You might get more entrants if that way (no guarantees, though.) If you make something that is unique and appealing, that will also garner more interest.

I don't believe there are any established tags, but for the most part it seems like tags similar to these are used:
[R] or [Race]- For compos that include Race rounds
[HL]- For compos that include Hotlap rounds
[TT]- For compos that include Time Trial rounds
[Login]- For compos that utilize a login system
[Surprise]- For compos that utilize surprise login

Good luck with creating your compo :bg:

Edit: XYY beat me to the punch :angrywait: :boxing:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Spacethingy

Post by Spacethingy »

Very helpful and encouraging, thank you all!