GeneRally in Windows 8

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Txizzle

GeneRally in Windows 8

Post by Txizzle »

I had a bit of a look on the forum, but coudn't find it *please tell me if I grocely overlooked something*, so I will ask the question here...

Does it run properly in Windows 8? I've heard about several problems in W7.
I am at the point of needing to order a new laptop. And since the new ones immediatly come with W8. Will it work?
To finish first, first you have to finish!
FRUKIScze

Re: GeneRally in Windows 8

Post by FRUKIScze »

I don't know, but I have a solution. Just go to your closer Electronic shop, where you can try a new laptops, play on xBox,... , then put your flash disk into laptop with win8, and try generally there. :D
Simply, huh?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Don't buy a Windows 8 laptop whilst you can still get your hands on Windows 7 ones (I just bought a Windows 7 laptop myself). Trust me, you'll immediately regret it.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Txizzle wrote:... I've heard about several problems in W7. ..
BTW you've possibly heard wrong, its updates were done by James and Markku precisely for that reason - to optimize the game to the current OSes like W7. :) If any suspecting W7 of any problems ever arose (e.g. here in help subforum), it later turned the issue was neither in the OS nor GR, but in other software or somewhere between chair and keyboard of the PC, where particular trouble was experienced on. ;)
Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Thanks for the info, folks.
To finish first, first you have to finish!
mayfly

Post by mayfly »

I have Windows 8 and do have problems running Generally =( It doesn't load in full screen mode, and in windowed mode it plays sometimes and freezes and crashes a lot. Any one else had this issue? I've tried compatibility with XP and Windows 7 but still get the 'Generally has stopped working' =(
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I think you may well be the first (or one of the first) users to try GeneRally on Windows 8 mayfly - most people will avoid Windows 8 like the plague (I did). Are you running an NVidia, AMD or integrated graphics solution?
mayfly

Post by mayfly »

Indeed personally I still love XP. My desktop which I got in 2006 and had XP on still final died on me end of last year. I got a laptop the other week but they only had windows 8 ones where I live. =( Gutted. Specially as Generally was still one of my favourite games.
I've just realised what was making the error. I feel embarrassed, but I had the effects up at about 13000% somehow. Turning that down looks to have solved my issue =)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That... is one of the most epic fails I've ever seen in my life. :D
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

mayfly wrote:I've just realised what was making the error. I feel embarrassed, but I had the effects up at about 13000% somehow. Turning that down looks to have solved my issue =)
EPIC FAIL!!!
:uglylol: :dnfnoob:

How did you do it???
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
ariefansori

Post by ariefansori »

It's run perfectly on Windows 8,
just change compatibility mode to Win XP
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

To get back to topic i attached a Screenshot of GeneRally running in Windows 8 (inside Virtualbox - because i dont like Win 8 very much ;) ). I had to use the compatibility-mode (Set to Windows 7) because i was getting a an error that GeneRally could not find supported Resolutions. With compatibility-mode it was no problem. For any Fullscreen-Problems i recommend this solution - it works perfekt (also under Windows 8, i just tested that).

Cu Crono
Attachments
GeneRally in Windows 8
GeneRally in Windows 8