Hold key is interrupting

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
kuba

Hold key is interrupting

Post by kuba »

Hi guys,

I've changed to newer notebook and while playing GeneRally, from time to time (seems to appear randomly) when I hold key to turn it gets interrupted for a short, but usually making damage, time.

On my much older machine everything is fine, problem is only on new one (both have Windows 7).

Does anyone know what might be a source of this problem?
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Hold key is interrupting

Post by egamad »

It might be the buffer on your keyboard (probably applies for laptops too). Sometimes keys don't respond properly, when you press more of them simultaneously. This happens because the buffer on your keyboard can't handle that much information at once, but only for specific key combinations, that are wired through the same chip.

Try setting different keys to handle your car. If you now use direction keys, try WASD or any other combination that suits you. Let us know if this helps! :)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
kuba

Post by kuba »

I've compared buffer's settings in Registry and are the same. I use "A Z Comma Dot" steering, I hold maximum 2 keys at once, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

My main suspect is SSD drive as Windows in it's wisdom somehow hibernate/sleeps it and when waking it up it may cause interrupts.

It's never that when I turn it ignores me, but always it looks like that: I hold turn key, start to turn, then it interrupts (turn key is hold all the time) which make car drives straight, then it's start to turn again, but usually it's too late end I end at wall.
kuba

Post by kuba »

I still have this problem, tried to stop many Windows services, and other google stuff, but nothing seems to be helpful.

I attached file, there is an example of this - load it, go to the end of the replay and check out corner marked at screenshot, like computer decided for me when to release key to turn left.
Attachments
problem.zip
(250.59 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I've never had this problem in GeneRally, but I do often get it when my computer is cold and I try to play GTA IV, or other resource-hungry games... no idea why it is :D
Paw

Post by Paw »

I think it may be caused by some other program from backgrond stealing focus for a while. Maybe something checks for updates etc.
kuba

Post by kuba »

All the unnecessary processes are stopped (especially these Dell/Intel doing nobody knows what), only critical ones left. I even tried to disconnect with internet, plug off mouse and switch off wi-fi, and problem still occurs. I went through Windows features and disabled most of them. Only good thing is that number of processes dropped from 80 to 50.

I observed also that when I'm playing some other game, and I hold key (for about 2 seconds), even after releasing game thinks it is still hold, until I quickly press it again and release.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Probably silly question, but does it apply to same key combination like you used in GR (A Z Comma Dot) and does in occur with various key setup in GR?
kuba

Post by kuba »

I tried couple combinations, arrows, WSAD, IJKL, and AZNM.

Also I observed it happens 3-4 minutes after start. Like there is some super secret buffer hidden so deep that even Google doesn't know it exists.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

kuba wrote:All the unnecessary processes are stopped (especially these Dell/Intel doing nobody knows what), only critical ones left. I even tried to disconnect with internet, plug off mouse and switch off wi-fi, and problem still occurs. I went through Windows features and disabled most of them. Only good thing is that number of processes dropped from 80 to 50.
May be useful a test under different OS? A Linux pack etc., if you have an installation there.
kuba

Post by kuba »

I pluged external keyboard, it works fine on it. I'll try with different OS when I have a chance.