Various Questions on this wonderfull game.

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
velve

Various Questions on this wonderfull game.

Post by velve »

I am really loving GeneRally but it leaves me with quite a few questions. Please bear in mind these are in no way mean't to be derogatory I am simply curious and would like to learn more about my new found love.

(1) Why no online play? : Imagine how great it would be, just want to know why the developers didn't implement it. Imo Generally would be way more fun than trackmania.

(2) Why does the ai slide so much? And are they even aware you are there? Most of the time I feel they don't have any awareness

(3) Why are the cars only 30 polygons?

(4) Why the spherical tyres?

(5) How do you keep a record of each cars hotlaps, I feel once I drive the fastest car around a track I have no idea of how the other cars can perform relative to it. Because in 5 or 6 laps Only that single cars statistics are displayed?

(6) How can the developers be such great people to allow us to play such a great game for free! It gives me a new found faith in humanity and I cannot thank them enough for doing this! And I wish them the best of luck in every endeavour and will support them in the future.

I will muchly appreciate replies and help on these topics but for now.....im off to the track!
Paw

Re: Various Questions on this wonderfull game.

Post by Paw »

Okay, I'll try my best to answer your questions :goodvibes:

1. The game was made by two brothers, and perhaps they started it as a side-project, not a full-blown game. Programming online game might be complicated, and they had other jobs to do, so it never happened.

2. The AI doesn't "see" the track, it just follows the AI-line defined by trackmaker. They can't "see" or "sense" you either. How well they drive depends on the car they use and what cars is the AI-line designed for. For some odd combinations, like AI-line designed for formula, but the track driven with low-grip cars, the AI drivers might perform porly.

3. Not sure, but here is my hyphothesis: the authors made very simple defaut cars and set the limit that way. I don't know if it would be possible to change it now without breaking compatibility or whatever, maybe James could explain it with more detail.

4. Perhaps just a simplification (you don't have to rotate the spheres) used in early development which was later kept in place.

5. You can reset the track records if you with, but it will remove all of them.

6. :up:

What might make you interested: there's a sequel being made! More info on the official GR site: http://gene-rally.com/ You might also read about GRs history here: http://gene-rally.com/history/
There will be Kickstarter for the GR2 project very soon, so make sure to return here for informations!
velve

Post by velve »

Thanks for the replies Paw, as a side project it is pretty awesome haha imaging what they could do if they focused on a game entirely!

One more thing though, ive just picked up juans car editor and im having a veeeery slight problem. Is it possible to make a front wheel drive car by any chance? I've tried messing around with the balance and grip values to try and "recreate"a FF car but its just not happening, the balance merely dictates the responsiveness of your steering it seems.

What I was thinking was perhaps a grip level value per tyre, that way you could simply set the rear tyres at 0 and add a decent amount on the front, it would seem that would be the easiest way to trick the game into thinking the car is FF im not sure how clued up the fella's here in the community are but perhaps someone could implement it. That is of course only if im missing something and it is actually possible.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I'm not a car maker but I seem to recall that two of the tyres are always powered, and they are usually in the rear. So maybe try switching the rear tyres to the front and vice versa. If I'm mistaken, somebody else correct me. :)

Oh, and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your stay here! :cool2: