Ubuntu vs GeneRally

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
kuba

Ubuntu vs GeneRally

Post by kuba »

Hi everybody,

I recently bought new notebook and decided to have only Ubuntu, because there is only one thing I need Windows for - it's our beloved game.

I installed wine, run the game - I've learned that full-screen only makes with biggest resolution, but that's not important. What's important that on both, full-screen and windowed mode GeneRally is far from running smoothly.

I'm not sure, but I believe that Visual Studio is managed by wine - if it wasn't I won't be able to launch GR in the first place, right?

It's Lenove notebook with processor AMD A4-5000M, 8 GB of RAM, and graphic card AMD Radeon HD 8330M.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to make GR working well on that?

I can accept workaround with some virtual machine, but if so what would you suggest? Virtualbox or VMware Workstation, Windows XP or 7?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Last edited by kuba on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Ubuntu vs GeneRally

Post by Crowella »

I know it sounds like a silly question, but have you installed the correct graphics drivers for your Ubuntu installation? I found last time I ran Linux (Fedora), programs/games never ran smoothly and I found that was the issue.
View my archived circuits/cars here
kuba

Re: Ubuntu vs GeneRally

Post by kuba »

I had to reinstall fglrx to even have X so I assumed I fine with graphic drivers. Do you know if DirectX might be a problem too?