GeneRally Online ?

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
VitorLovatto

GeneRally Online ?

Post by VitorLovatto »

Hello, GeneRally all know is a game that long is not updated because its creators and hence owners of the source-code of the game are gone most players do not, disputed championships despite not having a multiplayer option, but with some programs who help us. More these days I was playing a game here on my computer called "GTA SA: MP" which is the famous San Andreas ONLINE, and by the way they did for the program that they could play GTA ONLINE was very interesting and I think it could be used in GeneRally.
The program works with two types of files, the server and player / lobby server is the file that is downloaded and configured to connect to get served and a player / lobby to get into it, the sa: mp also has a system of scripts leaving the game with far more options, so my question is this: is it possible to use the same system as the "SA: MP" with Generally?
Because if so we would talk with the creator of "SA: MP and'd see how it does or ask him advice on how to do.
Credits:
VitorLovatto the idea.
GeneRally BRAZIL for the help, translation and accessories.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: GeneRally Online ?

Post by Lukeno94 »

This question has been asked a thousand times over. Currently, there is no progress with the new version of GR.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I think, that he doesn't focus on new version, but he's talking about try of making a modification in present version by our own force. Bu these things are out of my knowledge, I have no clue, if it's possible.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, we can't modify the source code without permission, and since it would require that one way or another to make an online feature... ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Then all mods in games would be illegal. If somebody release an file, which would after installing in your PC would rewrite a part the gr.exe placed in your computer (on your own risk), everything would be OK, I believe. If those things can be done for commercial titles (like GTA:SA mentioned above), for GR it would be OK too.

Only thing is, that you cannot release a edited fexe directly (to place on a website the final edited exe). But if you would offer just file, which will make the editing in a particular .exe file by installation, in fact the person, who installs it, would be the guy, who edited the code (and for his own private purpose). You, as author of the mod, would just give him way, how to edit it. 99% legal.

Edit: We have clear gr precedence of this problem: Rich's track toy is nothing different from the a mod proposed above (only edits the trackeditor.exe instead gr.exe). If the Rich's patch is legal, why other ''third party patch'' should be illegal (banned)? I see no reason. So some skilled guys in community can try to test if it's technically possible or even evolve an ''online patch'' for GR v1.05 without any legal worries IMHO.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, I meant editing the exe directly, of course there are no problems with patches. The problem is, any multiplayer in GeneRally would currently be severely hampered by only having 6 grid positions.
VitorLovatto

Post by VitorLovatto »

there's no problem in 6 grid positions haha, generally have a lot of players and this is a good ideia.
the problem is: peoples if a good skill to create or edit.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

gta:sa mp modifies the game data stored in the ram. (Or am I wrong?) So there would be no need of distrubuting a edited GR.exe. The Clients just edit the car positions stored in ram during the Race. Its like a synchronisation.

Cu Crono
VitorLovatto

Post by VitorLovatto »

yeah like this.
we can do generally online!
Santana 2.0

Post by Santana 2.0 »

The ideia here was not modify the game itself, but use that program to play online.
Revenge is never full, it kills the soul and poisons. (By Seu Madruga)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Technically it should be possible; VNC and keyboard mapping?

Don't want to think about the amount of lag through