Beat Them All [R/Login]

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
mplume

Beat Them All [R/Login]

Post by mplume »

I'm happy to open this thread with a new kind of competition where the pleasure of online competitions meets the real fun provided by Generally played offline. :hiya:

About the name "Beat Them All":
It's another way of online racing for GeneRally. Usualy, you have to start from pole and your race consist to be alone and sometimes you have to overlap slow AIs. It will never be the case here because you'll have to start from 6th place and you'll have to overtake AIs from the level you chose. So, expect to have stressful races where you'll really have to Beat Them All...
About the first edition:
The first edition will last 7 weeks with one round per week. It's a login competition and the race length is 5 kms. We'll use the original formula car without any modification. The settings have been defined to be able to make a normal race in one stint without any pitting, so you'll have to beat the 5 AIs on track! :boxing:
About the rules:
Art. 1
Every interested person signs up by a reply in this competition's topic, they declares the necessary information which are:

[list]name
number (#2-#99; please check if the one you want isn't already asigned in the entry list)
nationality
name of the team (or "privateer")
e-mail address[/list]

Art. 2
Teams must be composed by 2 or 3 drivers. On round 1, teams in the entry list with only one driver will be deleted and the driver will race as "privateer". After that, if you want to add a new team, it will only be possible by telling at the same time the 2 or 3 drivers driving for it.

Art. 3
BTA sends login information (nickname and password) for the signed drivers at least one day before start of the season. BTA sends login information for the driver as soon as possible after driver's sign up in case of his sign up after round 1.

Art. 4
Login time (predefined time period for delivering files) for each particular round are available on the calendar. Each round term ends at GMT 23:59:59. You've got 7 minutes after your login to delivered your files.

Art. 5
Mandatory game settings are:
[list]race length: 5 km
tyre wear: 10%
fuel consomption: 10%
fuel mass: 10 kg
damage: 25%
game speed: 100% or higher
nbr of opponents: 5 official AIs (you have to edit their level according to your strategy)
car: Formula (from GR 1.05)
track: downloaded via the login system
starting position: 6th (use SavegameReader.exe to edit the starting grid)[/list]

Art 6.
Driver's race is finished when the mandatory files are delivered to BTA's mail (bta.mplume @ gmail.com - without the blanks). Mail will be only opened after the end of the round to prevent strategic advantage to the BTA staff.

Mandatory files are:
screenshot (.BMP) wich was made in moment of showing standings screen
.gam file with replay of the race

Art 7.
Every late submit (see Art 4.), wrong setting (see Art 5.) or wrong submit (see Art 6.) will be punished by moving on the back of the pack in the online race results.

Art 8.
If a driver shortcut the track (including pit lane) or wallbounce in intention to win time, the driver will be punished by a demotion of one place in his offline race results. If it happens at least 3 times, the driver will be punished by moving on the back of the pack in the online race results.

Art 9.
Online race results are based, in order of importance, firstly on the finishing position in the offline race results (so the drivers results are definitely affected by results of AIs in his race), secondly on the average level of AIs wich was chosen by the driver, thirdly by the racing time of the driver.

Points are awarded to the first 10 drivers of the online race results in following order: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 + 1 point for holder of fastest race time. Team earns points by summing the points earned by their 2 best drivers of the round.

Art 10.
A champion of Drivers Championship is the driver who scored the most points in sum of all seven rounds. A champion of Teams Championship is the team who scored the most points in sum of all seven rounds.
About the calendar:
Round 1: Bro's Hatch (by AleksiNir - 1st ToM 08/2010) - From 14th feb. to 20th february.
Round 2: Bukid (by Maciej1 - 5th ToM 12/2010) - From 21th feb. to 27th february.
Round 3: Runnola (by Gr8player - 1st ToM 10/2006) - From 28th feb. to 6th march.
Round 4: Kayview (by Dragon - 1st ToM 12/2010) - From 7th march to 13th march.
Round 5: Tuiuti (by Trigger Happy - 2nd ToM 10/2010) - From 14th march to 20th march.
Round 6: Slug Wing A (by Egamad - 1st ToM 12/2010) - From 21th march to 27th march.
Round 7: Osknockheim (by Pahkasika - 3rd ToM 11/2010) - From 28th march to 3rd april.
Follow the entry list here:
#07 - tooomek (POL) - privateer
#18 - mizzamar (HUN) - Team Miskolc
#19 - Madd Dogg (HUN) - Team Miskolc
#21 - Cristiano Bohessef (BRA) - privateer
#36 - Martyn (WAL) - privateer
#42 - Manzur (BRA) - BTA Racing
#54 - akouk (GRE) - privateer
#63 - majortom (GER) - privateer
#67 - mplume (BEL) - BTA Racing
My thanks goes for all the track creators (for their gift and permission). Special thanks to Trigger Happy for all the advices he gave me and to majortom for his special "AI detection" tool.
Attachments
gr_bta.zip
Official BTA Pack
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
Last edited by mplume on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 22 times in total.
mplume

Re: Beat Them All [R/Login]

Post by mplume »

Some recommandations:

-When you are the first to register in a team, please tell us if the team is open to everybody who wanted to join it or tell us the driver specifications you are searching for (seeded driver at GWR for example).

So, my team - BTA Racing - is open to every motivated driver who think he can participate to the 7 rounds.

-Choose the color you want for your car expect the one used by AIs (255-255-255 x 0-0-0)

-Please don't create new AIs, don't change their names (as I want to make stats on AI's results too) and don't change their color. But feel free to change their levels the way you want...

About the way I'll sort your results, here's an example which explain how it will be sorted out...

You can see for example that driverD is better place than driverE even if in his race he was slower than E and even if the average level of AIs was lower than driverE. Why? Because driverD succeed to finish first in his race and driverE not succeed...

So you have to adjust the AIs levels carefuly. To win a round, you'll have to take some calculated risks but if you take too much risks, you'll lose big.

Last, there will be no merged replay as it's a non-sense in this kind of competition. But I'll provided the 3 full replays (with AIs) of the podium.
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Manzur
Brazil
I want to enter on BTA Racing, if not, "It's a Team"
cdlyokoh@hotmail.com
LorSong

Post by LorSong »

all AI have identific level? ...
will be only one attempt?
mplume

Post by mplume »

LorSong wrote:all AI have identific level? ...
will be only one attempt?
You chose the level of the AI so you do what you want. Same level for all or you can make variation.

Only one attempt as it's a login competition but you can train to know at which safe level you can beat the AI.
majortom
GeneRally Wizard

Post by majortom »

Interesting Concept.

But I see a problem. How will you check the AI Levels?
Checking with SaveGameReader don't work.

Example: Set all AIs to 50, make you starting grid.
Before loading starting game, change AI values. In the race AIs will
drive with 50, but in savegame you see the changed values.

Maybe this could be a problem in other competitions, by lowering AI value.
Never thought about this before your new race concept :scratch:
Attachments
1st_ai200.zip
(355.35 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
mplume

Post by mplume »

majortom wrote:Interesting Concept.

But I see a problem. How will you check the AI Levels?
Checking with SaveGameReader don't work.

Example: Set all AIs to 50, make you starting grid.
Before loading starting game, change AI values. In the race AIs will
drive with 50, but in savegame you see the changed values.

Maybe this could be a problem in other competitions, by lowering AI value.
Never thought about this before your new race concept :scratch:
Well I doesn't know about that trick...

But if you lower the AI value in race, I still can see it because
-the fast lap of AI will be anormaly slow.
-the global pace of the race will be also anormaly slow.

So everyone who want to do this trick, just try it and do it; but if I detect something, you'll be ban from the competition. :misch:

C'mon guys lets join it, it's only 5kms on beautiful tracks... :yummy:

PS: After "private investigation", I'm now 100% sure to detect the kind of fraud explained by majortom. (so you still can put your trust on this competition)
Last edited by mplume on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LorSong

Post by LorSong »

tracks is incredible difficult. I'm afraid to take part)
mplume

Post by mplume »

You can adjust the level of AI in a way to match the difficulty of the track. The aim is to finish first and have a close and good race with AIs, the aim isn't to face AI too strong for us...

Tracks have been nominated at ToM, a majority of players like them. ;)
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Interesting concept! I have some questions:
1. can AI level be different in each round, or does it have to be the same for the whole championship?
2. what if I use a very low AI level (close to zero) in case of four AIs, and only one high level AI (80-100)? This way you can quickly overtake the slow AIs and can spend your time beating the only one real opponent. I guess it makes the race a lot easier - but is it legal?
3. When I use different levels for the AIs in my race (just like in the example above), which AI level are you going to take into account when you make the results: the highest / slowest / average AI level?
Thanks!
Formerly known as mizzamar, the GRC veteran Team Miskolc racer and occasional track-maker.
My new website: ZsoltBartokGames
majortom
GeneRally Wizard

Post by majortom »

It is mentioned by the example above: average AI

@mplume: I found the problem with AIs in savegame because I wounder,
if I must build a new starting savegame every time I change AI level.
Result: I must!

In case of true game checking (maybe I can help you ;) ) I will try:

majortom
255 255 255 / 0 128 0
privateer

tommylowbug at t-online.de
mplume

Post by mplume »

mizzamar wrote:Interesting concept! I have some questions:
1. can AI level be different in each round, or does it have to be the same for the whole championship?
2. what if I use a very low AI level (close to zero) in case of four AIs, and only one high level AI (80-100)? This way you can quickly overtake the slow AIs and can spend your time beating the only one real opponent. I guess it makes the race a lot easier - but is it legal?
3. When I use different levels for the AIs in my race (just like in the example above), which AI level are you going to take into account when you make the results: the highest / slowest / average AI level?
Thanks!
1 AI level can be different at each round, you do what you want.
2 It's legal but that way you'll have a very poor average AI level...
3 Average AI level.

Merged double reply from Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 am:
majortom wrote:@mplume: I found the problem with AIs in savegame because I wounder,
if I must build a new starting savegame every time I change AI level.
Result: I must!
Yeah that's annoying but I can't do nothing to it... :(

EDIT: As my host seems to have more stability now, here's the link to the competition's website.
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Okay, fair rules!
I think this compo will be good (and difficult too) and I wouldn't want to miss it! The only reason I don't sign up right now is the lack of free time in these weeks, I can barely practice for GRF1 or GRACE. I hope things will get better and I can join, and that others will come too!
:bg:
Formerly known as mizzamar, the GRC veteran Team Miskolc racer and occasional track-maker.
mplume

Post by mplume »

Still one week before the start, feel free to join and don't hesitate to ask questions about the rules if you want.

It's 5 kms, race will only took you 3 minutes...
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Okay, I think I'll give it a try:

mizzamar
Hungarian
255-255-0 0-0-0
mizzamar :shhh: gmail.com
edit: Team Miskolc
Last edited by zsoltbartok on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MD

Post by MD »

mizzamar wrote:Okay, I think I'll give it a try
and me too :)

Madd Dogg
Hungarian
Team Miskolc (if mizzamar would like to team up :D )
maddog.bs :gr: hotmail.com
GuEss what's coming up nExt!
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Yes Madd Dogg, we can race together in Team Miskolc!
I have edited my sign up post!
mplume

Post by mplume »

The competition is open. :bsmile:
(Feel free to join, there is still plenty of time before the first deadline...)

Login info send.

You can login here: http://mplume.olympe-network.com/bta/in ... &Itemid=55

Deadline: Sunday 20th february (GMT 23:59:59) - You've got 7 minutes to send your .zip after your login.

Good luck :cflag:
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Login link doesn't work for me.
mplume

Post by mplume »

mizzamar wrote:Login link doesn't work for me.
My host seems to have a problem, it worked this morning.

I will made a mirror in few hours, sorry about that...

EDIT: Here's the mirror link.
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Race sent, it was OK. Thanks for the quick response!
mplume

Post by mplume »

Race done also, my replay will be very interesting, a lot of unexpected move overthere...
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

I mistaked much and retired.
majortom
GeneRally Wizard

Post by majortom »

Race done. Login only worked on mirror.

Finished first but AI-Level <100 :scratch:
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

Well, I was also below 100 so don't worry :)
This compo is not easy because the damage value is higher than I got used to. I have to be careful with aggressive car-to-car battles, so pushing the AI out of my way doesn't always work. And I am not really good with the Formula, I always found it difficult to conserve monumentum with it (of course, I am not much faster with other cars either :) ) So my battles with the AI are very tough here. My login was also pretty close.