Generally competition App

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
funnyman

Generally competition App

Post by funnyman »

Hey guys I'm glad to announce that I'm developing a web app to manage and organize all steps of the generally competition.
This web app is for you, so I need to know how useful this app will be for you.
I've planned the following steps:

1 - [you] Feedback about how useful this will be app
2 - [you] Take a look at screeans and how app will works
3 - [me] Refine design and correct english errors (English is not my native languague as everyone can realize =))
4 - [we] Test
5 - [we] Have fun

Follow the screens and how will works

*public = logged and not logged users
*private = just logged users

home (public)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/
-list of random active competitions
-button to see all competitions
-form to sign up and sign in

Competitions (public)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/site/comps
-list of all active competitions and search field with some filters to search a competition that fits to your wants

Competition profile (public)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/site/comp
-Name, description, full rules, button to sign in the competition, tab with all races, results and download replay for each race

Driver profile (public)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/site/driver_profile
-Driver informations and last results

Team profile (public)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/site/team_profile
-Team informations and last results of team members
-In the left side i will list all team members

Teams (Private)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/dashboard/teams
-List all teams that you are owner or you joinned
-Create teams and invite drivers to your team
-See the invitations that another teams have made for you

Championships (that you are participating) (Private)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/dashboard/comps
-List of all championships that you are participating
-You can see each race of the championship, date range that the files will be available to race (Here i followed the "login race rules", the file will be available for a range of dates, when driver download the files they have a time to upload the files back with the replay, the date range and the time the driver have to upload the files will be setted for the competition owner)

Championships (that you are owner) (Private)
http://generally-teste.aws.af.cm/dashboard/my_comps
-All championship manager and configuration

IMPORTANT
Follow here some basic bussiness logic that I want everyone's opinion:

- Competitions have a main name and a subname:
Grascar - 2013/2
Grascar main name and 2013/2 subname.
- The combination main name + subname is unique and can't repeat
- You need register a main name of the competition and when you will create a competition you can only use the names that you have the rights
- If you pass 1 year without make a competition for some name that you have the rights, the name will go to public domain an anyone could get the name and make a competition
- You can join a lot of teams but when yo u sign In for a competition you need choose one team that you will race for this competition specific

Thats it guys, i think generally community always claim for something like that, i just wanna cooperate... all bussines logics could be discussed and I'm open for all kind of oppinions.. thanks for the attention
Buka

Re: Generally competition App

Post by Buka »

Something new. :yummy:

I think one thing is necessary - login system have to be included in this app.
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

-You can see each race of the championship, date range that the files will be available to race (Here i followed the "login race rules", the file will be available for a range of dates, when driver download the files they have a time to upload the files back with the replay, the date range and the time the driver have to upload the files will be setted for the competition owner)
It's included!
Buka

Post by Buka »

Well, then I think this is awesome. I really always wanted to have in GR something like this - one web app for all competitions instead of separate pages. Though I'm afraid I'm minority. :hide:
puttz

Post by puttz »

Looks pretty nice, but I'm not so sure that I personally would use it for my compos. I like being able to do my own stuff my way, and I'm sure there are other organizers that think the same way. There would still need to be a separate site for login, anyhow.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

I dnot understand when someone says "I'd rather do it my way" because you will be able to customize the way your compo will be and still further will automate all the boring parts (ordering pilots for time, sum of points etc)

about puttz quote
There would still need to be a separate site for login, anyhow.
I dont understand what you mean bro.
puttz

Post by puttz »

funnyman wrote:
about puttz quote
There would still need to be a separate site for login, anyhow.
I dont understand what you mean bro.
I meant for the login system for the competition, I assume that your web app wouldn't support hosting a php login? If it is able to, that would make it an even more useful tool.

Also, about the "my way" thing, some people like to have their own fancy style of results table and such things (PGRF1 would be one example), and if I'm not mistaken, the web app would put people in a box as far as stylistic stuff goes. Also, some organizers who have organized several series (such as myself) normally have a set way to do things, and it may be more laborious for them, but it is the way they like doing things. Not saying your idea is bad or wrong, it's just not my cup of tea. I'm just trying to point out a few things that may deter people from using your app. If you could make it highly customizeable in style and appearance, that might draw more people to use it. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Look at this Puttz ;)
Buka wrote:I think one thing is necessary - login system have to be included in this app.
Funnyman wrote:It's included!
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
puttz

Post by puttz »

:doh: Somehow I missed that. Ignore the first part of my previous comment.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

So one system failure would put down temporarily all compos at once? :scratch:

No offence intended, to explain - the key thought for me, why to have a compo site, was to keep my compo with all info independently accessible to drivers and running without delays or postponing rounds even when old RSC forum or ATM this forum would be down for a longer period, e.g. 2-3 weeks. For same reasons I refuse to follow practice of some compo organizers to send login info by forum PM here - always by e-mail. And this point seems to be valid for me also in case of any such app, so I think if I'd use it, then only as second alternative - doubling my website, not exclusive environment for the compo. :shrug:
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

Puttz and Triggerhappy I'm just arguing but I respect your opinions ...

The App will organize the sending and receiving of replays, organization and publication of results plus the compo by login is affordable for people who want to organize a compo but is not able to make it available at a login system. Particularly I think is an amazing tool to not use for the argument "wanted to make the result table of my favorite color" but as I said earlier I respect your opinion. The large black square at compo profile page would be like a cover that you will be able to put an image that I think will provide an unique identity for your compo.

Regarding the Triggerhappy said, If we think like that, any App in the world wouldn't exists because every web server in the world is likely to fall, the App can fall? yes.. the Forum may fall? yes.. and your email may fall ? Hell yeahh!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

funnyman wrote:Puttz and Triggerhappy I'm just arguing but I respect your opinions ...

The App will organize the sending and receiving of replays, organization and publication of results plus the compo by login is affordable for people who want to organize a compo but is not able to make it available at a login system. Particularly I think is an amazing tool to not use for the argument "wanted to make the result table of my favorite color" but as I said earlier I respect your opinion. The large black square at compo profile page would be like a cover that you will be able to put an image that I think will provide an unique identity for your compo.
This may be great help for all people, who think about making compo, but also think it's too difficult for them, no doubt.
funnyman wrote:Regarding the Triggerhappy said, If we think like that, any App in the world wouldn't exists because every web server in the world is likely to fall, the App can fall? yes.. the Forum may fall? yes.. and your email may fall ? Hell yeahh!
I no way wanted to say by my reply, that you should not do the app, only wanted to mention another reason, when you'll be thinking, why some of old dogs may be hesitating to join the system with their compos. ;)

Yes, everything is possible, but it is more likely that a forum run by amateurs like me will crash than the gmail. After all I do have some experience with these emergency situations from time of RSC while running a compo and even the 'compo-organizing Trigger Happy' doesn't see a reason why to rely on 'forum admin Trigger Happy' more than relied on James Burgess or would rely on you (and no, I don't think it's too schizophrenic :mrgreen: ).

If this forum or app would go down, I simply still have my site with all, what drivers and I need, I know conditions under which it's hosted, I have its backup and in case of any trouble I can solve it on my own including relocating the site (and switching domain to new server) and I have a relatively reliable way (more than PM), how to let drivers know about important things. This simply is another level of certainty, which I have now, than merely relying on a forum's or an app's maintenance, I'm sure you understand the point. :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

I absolutely support the development of this app funnyman, so you know. I think it'll be great for people who want to organize a compo, but don't have a server or don't want to get one, or simply are intimidated by the process. This would greatly simplify things for them, so if you can get it up and working, perhaps we might see a bit more variety in compos, and also some new faces that want to organize. I can only see this being a good thing for the community. I might recommend that once you get the app completely working, create your own short season (maybe 3-5 races) compo so that you can see first hand how your app works for those organizing a compo, and you might get some ideas for changes from that.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
funnyman

Post by funnyman »

Sure puttz.. I will try finish the App at weekend and launch a short compo for everybody have a better look how everything works