Spammers

Are you experiencing any issue while using this forum? Post it here!
puttz

Spammers

Post by puttz »

Why have there been so many spam accounts recently? Maybe we need some kind of extra way to try to keep out the spammers. It gets annoying to see "oh boy, new posts!" and then find out they are all spam.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Spammers

Post by Marcinho »

I think that forum engine is very old and easy for spambots.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I believe the problem isn't in engine, but in lack of activity of admins and moderators. :meditate: :kickcan:

It had used to be similar in past, but actions had been taken more quickly than after a week.

BTW Happy New Year! :)
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Trigger Happy wrote:I believe the problem isn't in engine, but in lack of activity of admins and moderators. :meditate: :kickcan:

It had used to be similar in past, but actions had been taken more quickly than after a week.

BTW Happy New Year! :)
Why not appoint forum moderators? I could volunteer police-ing the topics.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Is it possible that the database containing email addresses has been compromised? Not sure what to do with this???
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Okay, this is a joke at this point. The entire first page of the off topic section is filled with spam topics, all from different random usernames. If possible, I suggest that all new users need to be manually approved by the admins to stop this nonsense.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Defence against spammers always has 2 parts. Automatised engine, which stops 99% bots and human action promtly removing the spam posted by the 1% of those succesful intruders. The human part is the one, which is failing. Sorry for this mess.
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Trigger Happy wrote:Defence against spammers always has 2 parts. Automatised engine, which stops 99% bots and human action promtly removing the spam posted by the 1% of those succesful intruders. The human part is the one, which is failing. Sorry for this mess.
Why not appoint moderators to patrool the forum? Just saying - by having more members willing to help the chance of spammers breaking in to be decreased
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Since the spam will go on forever, I think the safest bet is to do the following:

Appoint more forum moderators to purge spam from our form
Punish those offenders by banning them from the forum forever and by IP (many spammers go under different disguises under the same IP)
Freeze registration in the forum for undisclosed period of time. (though it may be unpopular choice, but it could be needed to clamp down on spammers)
puttz

Post by puttz »

ivaneurope wrote:Since the spam will go on forever, I think the safest bet is to do the following:

Appoint more forum moderators to purge spam from our form
Punish those offenders by banning them from the forum forever and by IP (many spammers go under different disguises under the same IP)
Freeze registration in the forum for undisclosed period of time. (though it may be unpopular choice, but it could be needed to clamp down on spammers)
Agree. Or if possible, require human authentication of a new user's first post or two before it appears in the forum, or manual authentication of new user accounts. The current level of spam is ruining the forum.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff