about a rule

Are you experiencing any issue while using this forum? Post it here!
akouk

about a rule

Post by akouk »

(following this lead)
forum rule wrote:Please don't reply to one month old or older threads unless you have something extremely important to say as it only confuses other users.
I have observed several occasions where a member wants to give positive feedback or even express gratitude for a certain matter (topic).
And it has always bothered me when that expression has been treated as "unwanted behaviour" if it has happened to occur in a later time from the creation of the subject (topic).

And it makes me wonder: what's wrong with saying "thanks"? Is it a matter of less importance when somebody acknowledges and supports the contribution of somebody else?
Should that expression been banned from being spoken? Does it have an expiration date?

"Sent a pm" one could say. And what about saying publicly? Isn't that what forums are about?

Also, the fact that a member reaches info at a later time only proves that many topics are not noticed at once by everybody. And a meaningful "out off date" post may serve as a lead to others -who have also missed the info- to discover something useful.

These are my thoughts. I hope I'm not "off topic"...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: about a rule

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's indeed good to say thanks and even nicer to hear it for everybody of us, who made some stuff, but if it would be happening many times at same time, it would just confuse other people. Recall in mind the 7-10 bumped threads of rwl tracks few weeks ago by one guy and imagine everybody will do it anytime. Yes, we're a forum - place where people discuss a point - but if somebody has nothing more to point out than ''thanks'' or ''it's great'', it can be perfectly OK for a while, but with time going it's not enough valuable addon to the discussion later to at least equalize the con of general confusion, which it will make after the long time. It's all about balance between those two principles.
akouk

Post by akouk »

(I'm sure you and other admins have already taken this under serious consideration, so just for discussion's sake...)
I'm confused: where do you draw the line between "extreme importance" and "better not post anything about it"?
Take for example an add-on topic.
What could be important to say about it?
Is it important to urge others to share the add-on, if they haven't already? Yes.
Saying "thanks" works that way and from that point of view it's something worth doing.

Of course, posting a year later to say "thanks" in a topic where a hundred other people have done so already, that's not my point.
I'm also talking about balance. :)

:rofl: after writing all that I went to check how many times my add-on has been downloaded; 100 times.
So I suppose my case does not serve my point :taped: :D
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I can give you examples, which come to my mind, if you want: attachment update, broken attachment/link preventing from the sharing of content, reporting a piracy, reporting of a major bug in addon and so one. Simply not a reply on level of a commonly given feedback. Because the addons' subforums are something like forum with bit of database flavour, I'd rather expect strict view. On the other hand in general discussion/off-topic the rule isn't so strictly enforced, usually enough to say a sentence or two with sense and to the topic. :shrug: