Pics & DL

Are you experiencing any issue while using this forum? Post it here!
Genetleman
GeneRally Carmaster

Pics & DL

Post by Genetleman »

Hi, can you please allow to see the track pics and to download files also for non-registered users / users that are not logged in, I think this would 1st make it easier for all users that are just stopping by from time to time and 2nd may attract more Generallyers that don't want to join but just consume.

Thanks,
Gen(e)tleman
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need more X tracks and cars? Check out
http://genetleman.jimdo.com and / or http://jolly.yoll.net

MBX6-T driver
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Pics & DL

Post by Herbal »

Moved to support section. BTW, it's a good question, Genetleman, maybe the mods circle will have its say. ;)
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1. It saves resources of hosting (primary reason).
2. It helps to create community - 1st step registration, next possible in future are comments and even later maybe more.
3. It is common for other game forums and communities too.
4. Registration is free and very easy, so it's not problem to anybody.

So I think we will keep it.
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I also think we shouldn't open attachments to everyone. It would just allow people to direct-link to the downloads and the bandwidth overload would probably slow down the forum, and could maybe even cause fallouts. Besides, as Ivo said, the registration is quick and painless. :rofl:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Genetleman
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Genetleman »

These are good arguments. Still I would like to understand this site more as a service and would like to avoid a more "egocentric" community that gives the impression to hide away stuff from newbies or tries to build loyalty by that - I think we don't need to do this because all of the people here are happy to share good stuff and this is reason enough for everybody to stay. I would expect the other attitude might turn people away and therefore we would lose more than we gain.
I enjoy a service to be simple and easy to access and always avoid to administrate everything that can be administrated. I like this site and how it evolves and if it is really a bandwidth problem then by all means better keep it quick, otherwise we could perhaps give it a try to be more open.

Thanks & regards,
Genetleman
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Need more X tracks and cars? Check out
http://genetleman.jimdo.com and / or http://jolly.yoll.net

MBX6-T driver
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I think Tom is absolutely right. :)

Cu Crono
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I don't see any problem, even pro are bigger than cons IMHO.

BTW all other forums do same - GRITA, F1 Cup, PlanetGeneRally (it has own database of stuff out of forum, but in forum has tracks too) shows attachments after logging in. Polish forum is even completely hidden for non-registered users including topics (!). I don't know much other gaming forums, but the few, which I know, behave same - e.g. SRMZ, nogripracing, RSC before its end. So I would say, that this forum is not strange or different from others - we not hide anything in front of newbies - they can read and simply register (registration is out of admin power - activation is automatic, so no selection is possible) and they don't need to do anything other to have full access to downloads - no limit like 5 posts before allowing something or other obstructions. This forum runs very standard like other forums and it will stay as it is IMHO.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

PlanetGeneRally (it has own database of stuff out of forum, but in forum has tracks too)
In the forum there is a small problem: The upload function is connected with the download function. Downloading without registration means also uploading without registration ... :( To protect my homepage from spam I simply cant allow uploading for unregistred users.
BTW all other forums do same
But that doesnt mean that this is goood ... For example: I have a lot of accounts on various websites - just to see links or download one file :(
no limit like 5 posts before allowing something or other obstructions
This is good, because this function is just annoying and helps no one.

Cu Crono