TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
thegreatfalcon

Re: TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Post by thegreatfalcon »

@1nsane: You could try to make a song using a 3/4 or 3/8 time signature... could be interesting... (And maybe trying to go a little bit off your hardcore usual style with big bass one every two times... :hide: )

Your friend is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Haha, I don't always do just hardstyle and hardcore. :D I can do stuff like this too: http://koti.mbnet.fi/gameboy/Piilo/lost.mp3 They just very rarely get finished and thus released. This one is from a project I started today... The process of getting a song done from the beginning to the final stages just takes easily multiple weeks and I tend to lose the interest on these songs before they ever get finished. A trance song should be about 7 minutes long anyways.

There are many reasons on why I have been doing mostly just hardstyle for the last 6 months or so. First of all, I really want to improve on that genre so I can send demos out there in the next year or two, or three. I studied the kick for 3 months, trying to master it. Now I have finally found a good base for it to evolve it forward. At the same time I studied how to create extremely fat and wide leads, and now I think I know how to do those too. There is no problem at creating a catchy lead anymore... The next thing I really have to learn is how to create all the different screeches and other distorted effects and sounds. And I have to study the transitions more. The same goes for hardstyle intros. But that's a part where the screeches and transitions combine together.
I still haven't done a song where I have learnt nothing new. I always try something out while doing the tracks... And I have been using a tactic of using the audio editors atleast 30 minutes a day to either try some melodies, continue existing songs or come up with new sounds. I also use this time to experiment with other electronic genres.
Every now and then it brings out some good stuff, like this: http://koti.mbnet.fi/gameboy/Piilo/summer.mp3 I'm actually planning to finish this, I'm just having a hard time coming up with the lyrics and stuff.

And what comes to other time signatures, no...
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

:hide: ...

Please tell me what you think about it :)
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

aleksinir wrote::hide: ...

Not that bad for a 3-4 month old drummer :bg:
Paw

Post by Paw »

When I heard the beginning, I thought that I didn't stop my Winamp and it shuffled to Token of Time! Well, very good choice of song :up: And very good drumming :up:

Btw. did you play by ear or used some transcriptions (GP5 perhaps?)?
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Is there any tab-maker here?? I love OutRun's "Risky ride" (OutRun 2 or special "guitar mix" version) and I know a couple of good amateur guitarists. They both love the song and want to make a cover... but nobody has ever made the tabs for this song. I just hope some of you can make it (doesn't have to be EXACT, just DECENT). Btw, I know that quite a lot of guitarists will be very thankful since this song is both GREAT and HARD.

OutRun's Risky ride
OutRun's Risky ride (guitar mix)
Btw, this song can also more than good for drummers.
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

It's not impossible to tab (I think I could do it), but it's quite very long.
Signatures are overrated
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Paw wrote:Btw. did you play by ear or used some transcriptions (GP5 perhaps?)?
By ear. I know the song very good, cause I've been listening to it quite much (it's the most played song on my last.fm account).

Thanks from the nice words, you both... :D
@TGF: In fact I'm 15 years old... :really:

I just couldn't resist :D
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

To prove that I still can do a song meant for "normal people". :D Well ok, I also had to take a little break from the hard kicks.

Last night I got a mail from a new label asking me to join it.. I guess it's time to start reading all of the material around internet to be prepared. But still, yaaay! cheerleader:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Darjo wrote:It's not impossible to tab (I think I could do it), but it's quite very long.
I can tab the drums if ever you get the guitar... :coffee: Looks pretty simple...
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Hey guys, what about playing a song together? Me on drums, Darjo on Guitar while Haq has a go on the bass? Something in the kind? I personally like *many* metal bands and know song songs well... Thinking here of some of those: In Flames (Mostly the whole Whoracle album and some other songs), As I lay Dying (The Darkest Nights), SOAD (Deer Dance, Toxicity, Aerials, Kill Rock and ROll)... On the RUSH side, I can always play Subdivisions which opens a door for a Keyboarder... Test For Echo and Limelight are potentially playable to me while Fly by Night is near Easy... These are the Ideas I got just now...

What you guys think? Who's whiling?
Paw

Post by Paw »

Hey, so at first I would like to say, that I got my electric guitar finally. The pictures are from internet, as I'm too lazy to take them myself.

Washburn X12
+
Peavey Backstage
+
Korg AX3G

The last two are not that important to me, as I'm mostly using GRig.

And what about the idea TGF suggested?
Well, more popular songs are easy to find tabs for, so that's no problem. But maybe an own GR song? Eg. drummer would start with drum track (giving time signature and approx. bpm would help) with some beat and tempo changes, then guitarist would record some riffs. Then bassist would roll in (or maybe just after drums) to give a groove to the song. There will be always some place for additional guitars or keyboards to throw some melodies.
And you can count me in for a short and simple part, if there would be any :sweatdrop:
@edit Ah, and I can play program some synths/keys/pianos/etc.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Paw wrote:And what about the idea TGF suggested?
Well, more popular songs are easy to find tabs for, so that's no problem. But maybe an own GR song? Eg. drummer would start with drum track (giving time signature and approx. bpm would help) with some beat and tempo changes, then guitarist would record some riffs. Then bassist would roll in (or maybe just after drums) to give a groove to the song. There will be always some place for additional guitars or keyboards to throw some melodies.
And you can count me in for a short and simple part, if there would be any :sweatdrop:
@edit Ah, and I can play program some synths/keys/pianos/etc.
I sticked to the idea and watch out for a drum kinda soon...
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

I was thinking about showing to the community my (mediocre) skills by doing a guitar cover of Gyroscope by In Flames since yesterday I managed to do a run without any mistakes :)

Btw, a girl asked me to teach her guitar (for free I think, since we didn't talk about money :hide:).
I already prepared the lesson, after talking a bit on how fretting notes and posture, I'll teach her some chords, and then I'll teach her how to play Wild Thing. Any suggestions? :)

@ Paw: I'm very happy for you, looking forward to seeing you playing :)
@ Paw/TGF: I'm in if you want to do some covers, if you want to do an original song what kind of genre are you thinking about?
Signatures are overrated
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

Meh, quite many mistakes and my camera just stopped recording :doh:
Signatures are overrated
zsoltbartok

Post by zsoltbartok »

@Darjo: Well, after the lesson ask her what she thinks about a date... :D

But serously, I like this video, partly because I like those people who are not afraid to show their skills, but mainly because you have the talent and the technique too! You play better than me for sure, and obvoiusly you are patient enough to practice (which I'm not anymore :) )!
@aleksinir: I have just discovered your vid and it is simply great!
Formerly known as mizzamar, the GRC veteran Team Miskolc racer and occasional track-maker.
My new website: ZsoltBartokGames
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

mizzamar wrote:@Darjo: Well, after the lesson ask her what she thinks about a date... :D
I'd date her first :D

And off course I liked the video :P
Jim451

Post by Jim451 »

That's great there is a lot of musicians there!
Here are my guitars:
- Cort strat ( a stratocaster copy I never use)
- Yamaha APX500 (I love that guitar small and good sounding)
- Line6 Variax (Great guitar that reproduce the sounds of a lot of guitars)
- Agile AL3000 (I've been surprised by the quality, very warm and deep sounding)
- Agile AD2300 (Love the P90's specific sound)

For the amp I use a Fender BluesJunior which I love because the tubes sounds amazingly
Phil Lynott is god...THIN LIZZY RULES
Join GR Seasons now! ---> http://www.generallyseasons.com/
"Forces of nature go wild, do you dare to defy them?"
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

aleksinir wrote::hide: ...

Awesome double bass! :D
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Actually it's now very accurate double bass. But still good drumming. :bg:
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

:bump:
anyone play Bass here?
I'm learning to play bass...
(img found on the web!)
Washburn XB98 (i think).jpg
20 years old bass that i have :D
almost identical to the image one, mine have frets and have a knob instead of a key
the bass is older tham me :cool2:

Actually im playing 4 songs
Assassin - Muse (easy song)
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Take me Out - Franz Ferdinand
Cmon Cmon - The Von Bondies (way too easy one)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

I made a version of What I've done on drums. The beginning (stick/chicks) is a bit messy and shall be killed by who ever has Audacity (or other)... The sound isn't as nice as in a pro studio but, I don't own one so... Also, It's recorded with a simple recorder which don't captures the basses too well. I would see the casting like this:

Darjo: Guitar
Paw: Second Guitar (?)
Dan: Bass
1nsane: Mixing
Someone: Piano

What do you guys think? Just ask ever you want the audio file... I'll send via email :)
Paw

Post by Paw »

I can try to add some guitars, right, but don't expect anything special, as I'm still noob (and didn't touch mine for ~month). I can add some synths or whatever, too. But I think, that someone else should go in out Song JE. Who's willing?
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Paw wrote:I can try to add some guitars, right, but don't expect anything special, as I'm still noob (and didn't touch mine for ~month). I can add some synths or whatever, too. But I think, that someone else should go in out Song JE. Who's willing?
If you can make the piano background it would be really nice :bg: And record your own track not over the file because this way, the guy who mixes will be able to do his job... :D
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yaay, Mixing! :D This should be interesting.
Although I haven't done much of work on a non-electronic song before, but... We will see! :P