TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: TOTFM - The Official Thread For Musicians - TOTFM

Post by Crowella »

Well, I currently am in a band right now called Of The Red Sea and I have my first gig with them in 3 weeks. Alternate Rock/Indie sort of stuff. - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Of-the ... 8617511523

In the mean time, I've been setting up my bass gear for it and been making effects pedals and this is the result (the three on the right):

View my archived circuits/cars here
NecroPolo

Post by NecroPolo »

Nice stuff folks, it's nice to see so many musicians around ;)

On my part, I've been grinding the axe since 1989 or so, playing in various underground bands in my country. My main instrument is a Warmoth parts guitar that kicks some serious a***es. I use it with Marshall and Laney tube amps and big guitar cabs, some minimal effects by Boss and Jim Dunlop. You can see the whole pack assembled in the background :)

Considering audio productions, I've been working for different radio stations since 1999 as production man making jngles, spots, remixes, whatever - you name it :) Also I run a project studio where I produce albums for other bands and compose music / orchestrate for different other areas and everything in between.

SammieVL

Post by SammieVL »

:bump: I make music too, i use samples and ModPlug Tracker.
And i record myself singing with audacity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7di2ZvtpnQ
Its a dutch song about our cat and dog.
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but nevertheless; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjA8KXjz_4I . Also my web page at http://www.richnagel.net has some MP3s of some of my more recent stuff :)
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I decided to take a part in a challenge called FAWM, which stands for February Album Writing Month. The challenge was to write 14 brand new songs during February, and if possible, record a demo version of them. Well, I managed to meet the challenge and wrote an alternative/metal album, in Finnish.

EDIT: I had some song links here but due to new FAWM coming up, the old links don't work anymore so I've deleted them.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

I composed this piece over the course of the past two weeks or so... a song dedicated to my new baby girl, Lyudmila ( http://www.simpilot.net/~richnagel/#lyudmila ). The music is an extremely pretty sounding symphonic piece, and I think that y'all will prolly like it :)

Listen to the song here -> Lyudmila's_Song.mp3.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Soo yeah, last weekend I went to Assembly computer festival, and obviously took part in the fast music and music compos.

First off is the one for the music compo, the rules were just to have any kind of a song and compete with it. Unfortunately mine didn't get through. I guess the jury liked the more boring music more this year. :P Anyways, here's the song.

But then the happier news. In the fast music compo, the rules were to create a song from the provided chords in 1,5 hours. I misread the timetable so I had just under one hour to make mine... In the end I needed just 30 minutes. :D Aaand... I got a third place with it! \o/ It was such a great thing to get on the stage and handshake the main guy of the whole festival. Aand the song... Made in 30 minutes and by only using headphones, so the sound levels are quite horrible.

Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

I play the guitar and bass :) I prefer the guitar ofc ^^
Trigger Happy wrote:Better to see worse but truly yours than false. :bg:
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

My aunt gave me an acoustic guitar and I'll learn to play it, wish me luck :D
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Decided to release some new experimental electronic music after a long break. I'm sure most of you don't appreciate it but who cares. :D

Here you can find the brand new re:EP as well as all of the old sounds of this project.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

sort of rock song written and recorded by me :)

It's about time
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

Nice one, Dan! :D
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Encore and Thumbs up for Dan's song! :clap:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Ohhohhoo, merry that day! (Play in HD to get rid of some of the distortion and glitching)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

You're so right

another demo
Woppoz

Post by Woppoz »

I just got FL Studio but man I don't understand much of it ghehe ;D

Maybe you could help out a bit, 1nsane? I want to make hardstyle but I can't get the sounds right :(
Listen to my favourite song here

And subscribe to my YouTube account here

aka. Inca4life
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well first of all you should make at least one or two minutes long clip which you are happy of and you think you could play to me. I can't really help too much before hearing your current level. As a general info, you should first just get used to the software for 1-6 months before even trying to focus on the specific sounds. And at the same time get the melodies right, get the scales right etc. etc.

So yeah, I can help, and I'm happy to help, but first you really have to get used to how the software and the synths work.

And the only thing I won't show is how the kicks are done. That is something I have personally used over 3 years to get it right, so it's something I won't be giving away before I have managed to get a few of my songs on a single.

Now, since the synths are quite bad in FL, you might want to look up for some free ones to practice the synthetics. http://bserrano.free.fr/Synths.html These should be a nice start.

Electronic music is a bit different from the normal rock and other sort of live music that you won't be getting the sounds right most of the time while for example an acoustic guitar gives you instantly the sound you expect to have. So don't worry if you seem to get just some strange clicking sounds at first. It's just a matter of getting used to the basics and getting to know what sounds good. :)

To get some more direct help you might want to add me to facebook or msn or somewhere else. It's kinda hard to help through a forum. :P

EDIT:

And just to really show that everything doesn't come immediately in electronic music, here's the oldest work I could find from my computer.

http://kamaa.1nsane.net/1nsane%20-%20Your%20Eyes.mp3

That is definitely not the first one I have done. I just really don't have any older material. That one is from... 2007. Propably early 07's.

Then the first hardstyle track I have done:

Ok, at that time hardstyle as a genre was quite different, but still that is very sub-par even for that time.. That was done mid 08's.

And then the latest:

Finished 31.13.2011. And this is the first track I personally think would be on-par with quality. So it took about 4 years to develop my skills on hardstyle and, what, 6 years from the beginning to actually get to this level. And I still don't know how the best are doing some of the sounds. :D
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Bumpety bump and double post in one. Now that must mean something special. And indeed it is! Finally the fifth edition of my VGM Medleysis finished! Over 7 and half minutes of video game music mashed together into one medley. I started making this in November, so it took almost 3 months to make this. Obviously I had some breaks there too. :P But anyways, listen!

Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

My band's first concert will be in March!!! :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

It's almost February and February Album Writing Month is about start. :band:

It's a challenge (not a competition) where the idea is to compose and, if possible, record 14 brand new songs during February. There's the community to give you constructive criticism so you're bound to learn something, and the challenge itself shows you how much you actually can compose in short time instead of waiting for the inspiration to come. :goal:

I participated for the first time last year and even though it was hard sometimes - I don't want to lie in that, you definitely need to push your boundaries :sweatdrop: - I'm already very thrilled about this year's attempt. It'd be cool if some of you would participate, or at least think about it. Check the FAWM website for more information. :cool2:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

The idea of that is surely interesting. It's just that I can finish only about one song a month, so doing that 14 times would be an overkill to me... :/
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Not perfect but still...

TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

A band I'm singing in is attending a competition. Here you can listen to our entry. Stylistically we're prog metal.

Edit: song address changed at the compo site, voting closed - URL updated.
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

TuomoH wrote:A band I'm singing in is attending a competition. Here you can listen to our entry. Stylistically we're prog metal.

So wait, is it the Rock Starba 3? :D Our band was going to attend there too but we kinda just didn't..

That sounds pretty good btw ^^
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

TuomoH wrote:A band I'm singing in is attending a competition. Here you can listen to our entry. Stylistically we're prog metal.
When I saw new post by you in his thread, I hoped it will be related rather to stuff in progress mentioned few posts above. :D

But this is also a nice piece, just the guy with guitar could slow a bit and leave the strings to do more ''after-noise'' or how can I can it. :mrgreen: