Your Computer Configuration

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Crono
Forum Admin

Re: Your Computer Configuration

Post by Crono »

My Hardware:

PC
Case: Cooler Master Elite 330
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP35 DS3
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quadcore @ 2,4 GHZ
RAM: Corsair Value Select 2x 2GB
GPU: Gainward GTX 260 GS (Golden Sample, OC)
Sound: Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
PSU: Chieftech CFT-650A-12B
HDD: 4HDDs internal / 3 HDDs external (all together ~ 3,5 TB)
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 223BW 21,6'' @ 1680x1050
Keyboard: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Mamba
Headset: Razer Cacharias
Detailed Information: Sysprofile

Laptop
Samsung R60 Donna
CPU: 1,5 GHZ Dualcore
Ram: 2GB
GPU: ATI X2300
HDD: Samsung 500 GB
Mouse: Logitech V450

Cu Crono
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

@Crono: Yeah. Killer system :bg: You can run any games you want at about any resolution I guess? (with full details, off course :D)
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Here's my rig (don't expect much, it's a slow, 6yr old PC :rofl:)

Manufacturer: INTEL_
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Hard Drive: 41 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: C-Media Wave Device
Speakers/Headphones: Altec Lansing
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: -
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Motherboard: -
Computer Case: -
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

@The Great Falcon

Thats right, i don't have to worry about graphic-settings ^^ It isn't a highest-end system but powerfull enough and a good price-performance ratio.

Cu Crono
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Processor: AMD Sempron LE-1150 - 2.0GHz
RAM: 1GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1200 - 320MB
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 733nw 17" @ 1440x900
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Processor = AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!)
RAM = 2 GB
OS = Supposed to be XP Pro SP3, Vista SP2 and PCLinuxOS 2010. Supposed to be. :lol:
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS
bhz

Post by bhz »

Intel Pentium D; 3.2 GHZ; 32-BIT
2.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800; 1280x800
Windows XP SP3
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Welp, I just updated my config.
So now it's:
650W of POWARRR
Asus "longstring of letters and numbers" motherboard, with USB3 extension.
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, 4 core processor
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
4gigs of DDR 3 memory, 1333 speeds. Zwoom it goes.

But.. The HD 5770 is just full of... Brown stuff. I've been working on it 3 days trying to get it to actually work... It freezes immediately when it needs to do some 3D processing. So for example even rFactor freezes even in the main menu because of the rotating car. I've tried both of the PCI-E 16x slots, 10.2, 10.4, 10.5 drivers, overclocking, underclocking, forcing the fan to be at min, forcing the fan to be at max, with the control center, without the control center, removed the HD Audio thingie, urff... Done pretty much anything possible that has been suggested around the internet, except for changing the voltage. So tomorrow I'll give it to a friend to try out. If it doesn't work even there, this card will go back to the store. And if the next one will be the same, that will go there too and I want my money back... And then I'll change back to nVidia. This was my first try on ATI (except for some ancient package computers), and this will be my last ATI card...

And this winter I'll add another two 2GB memory sticks. This so I'll have the maximum possible power for the music creation.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Monkfish

Post by Monkfish »

Sony VGN-AW11Z Laptop
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.4 GHz
4Gb of RAM
18.4'' screen ( :( its so impractical) with native resolution of 1920 x 1080
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
HDD: 2 x 320 Gb
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

1nsane wrote:But.. The HD 5770 is just full of... Brown stuff. I've been working on it 3 days trying to get it to actually work... It freezes immediately when it needs to do some 3D processing. So for example even rFactor freezes even in the main menu because of the rotating car. I've tried both of the PCI-E 16x slots, 10.2, 10.4, 10.5 drivers, overclocking, underclocking, forcing the fan to be at min, forcing the fan to be at max, with the control center, without the control center, removed the HD Audio thingie, urff... Done pretty much anything possible that has been suggested around the internet, except for changing the voltage. So tomorrow I'll give it to a friend to try out. If it doesn't work even there, this card will go back to the store. And if the next one will be the same, that will go there too and I want my money back... And then I'll change back to nVidia. This was my first try on ATI (except for some ancient package computers), and this will be my last ATI card...
What operating system are you running again? And I wouldn't let one dodgy card put you off a company, then again, I've never bought from ATI as it didn't occur to me to do so :mrgreen:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Lukeno1 wrote: What operating system are you running again? And I wouldn't let one dodgy card put you off a company, then again, I've never bought from ATI as it didn't occur to me to do so :mrgreen:
Win 7 64 bit. And uhh yeah... It's just that every card I have had from nVidia has worked from the exact moment. Then the first one from the other company doesn't really work at all... I see no reason why I would still want to use ATI... Obviously, we'll see what happens once (and if) I get a new one. The current one will be returned tomorrow/as soon as possible. My friend tested it today with his computer and same thing again.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

1nsane wrote:
Lukeno1 wrote: What operating system are you running again? And I wouldn't let one dodgy card put you off a company, then again, I've never bought from ATI as it didn't occur to me to do so :mrgreen:
Win 7 64 bit. And uhh yeah... It's just that every card I have had from nVidia has worked from the exact moment. Then the first one from the other company doesn't really work at all... I see no reason why I would still want to use ATI... Obviously, we'll see what happens once (and if) I get a new one. The current one will be returned tomorrow/as soon as possible. My friend tested it today with his computer and same thing again.
I read that the HD 5770 had driver problems some weeks ago... Maybe you could try updating those and see what happens...

I would have personally used XFX beside of Sapphire but that's me...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

The Great Falcon wrote: I read that the HD 5770 had driver problems some weeks ago... Maybe you could try updating those and see what happens...

I would have personally used XFX beside of Sapphire but that's me...

Welp, quess what I have been doing the weekend... Yep, trying out every possible driver... (I guess you didn't read the stuff I wrote completely.) And it was Sapphire, because the store happened to have Sapphire on sale. Since it cost about the same as HD 5750(By ASUS, atleast) would have cost... Which one should I take... Yeah, Sapphire HD 5770. Otherwise I would have picked ASUS HD 5750.

And the HD 5770 has been having these problems since the 9.10 drivers, atleast according to the posts at AMD/ATI forums. So... They propably never will even try to fix it completely, if it really is just a driver problem.

Anyways, my friend tried it out too today and he got the same results. So tomorrow I'll be sending it back and... We'll see what they have to say about it.
The Noose

New laptop

Post by The Noose »

Hi.

I'm going to buy a laptop to myself. Because I'm going to high school(lukio in finnish) and I need my own computer for school stuff and well I little bit for playing too. :P I'm going to invest about 600€ to my new laptop.
I've found this laptop here. Do you think it's good for studying and little bit for gaming too?
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prod ... p?id=21957

Finnish guys can understand but I translate the specs to english too.
* Intel Pentium T4500 2.3 GHz processor
* 4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz Random-access memory
* 640 GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard disk drive
* 15.6" WXGA 1366 x 768 Acer CineCrystal screen
* ATI HD 560v 1GB Videocard
* 6-cell battery, 4400 mAh
* DVD+/-RW DL SuperMulti station
* Dolby-optimized sound system
* Gigabit Ethernet, 56k modem, WLAN b/g/n
* 4x USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI
* Integrated 5-in-1 memory card reader
* Integrated 0.3MP CrystalEye web-cam
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Nordic) user system
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: New laptop

Post by Trigger Happy »

try to get more info about processor -value of cache size (in MBs).
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Well here is some information: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42925
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

For €600 I'd expect a 17 inch screen personally, and maybe a better CPU, but I'm not savvy to laptops that much.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

At 600euro, I think you can get a dual core processor which I guess will be better than this single core pentium... Maybe something like an i3 or so... Don't go with AMD IMO and if you wanna pay less, get with without OS and put linux :)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

For 600 euros, I agree, you should definitely get a better processor; everything else looks pretty much OK.
I like short, simple signatures!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

thegreatfalcon wrote:At 600euro, I think you can get a dual core processor which I guess will be better than this single core pentium... Maybe something like an i3 or so... Don't go with AMD IMO and if you wanna pay less, get with without OS and put linux :)
It is a dual core, and I doubt you'd get an i3 at this price - but I would expect a Core 2 Duo personally ;) There is nothing wrong with AMD, if you aren't doing the very high end games then they're a better bet simply because they're cheaper.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well since it's for studying, the first thing you should check out is the battery life. That is the most important factor, it should last at least 2 hours on full power without a need to recharge. This is so it will work through one double class without a chance to recharge.

And well... It is an Acer... Anything else than Acer would be better. Ok, except for HP...
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Acer aren't too bad... they're better than eMachines IMO.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Just got a new desktop... :)

Case: Thermaltake V3
Motherboard: MSI 785GM-P45
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (3.2 GHz, dual-core... for now >_>)
RAM: 4GB, OCZ DDR3 1600
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5770 (has been fine for me so far... >_>)
HD: WD 500GB
Monitor: "TS-Series" (actually a debranded HP) 24"

All for a little over $600 once all the rebates come in, including a DVD drive and wireless card... :)
I like short, simple signatures!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I was wondering what part in that cost so much to get the price up to 600, but then I realized that it included pretty much everything needed. Pretty good a computer for that price.

Oh yeah, and an update for the problems that I had. I got the money back of that dodgy HD 5770 and bought the Asus GTX275. It has been working like a dream now. I just don't really like the size of that card. I had to move the harddrives to new places and cut some excess papers of a few cables to fit the card in. Also the powering of the other harddrive got a bit more difficult, because the wire is nearly not long enough to reach it. And talk about the SATA2 cables..

I also bought 4 more gigs of memory.

Next up will propably be a new harddrive...
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

@bduddy: Interesting config for now I think... I would not actually get bored of it I think...

@1nsane: The GTX275 is such a beast and yes, it's big! Saw pictures and it's longer than a motherboard! :O I hope the performances worth it (I expect it to :P)

I have a 40GB Sata drive down think... Cannot partition or format... So, for the moment, it's dead... At least I could replace with this other Maxtor 40GB drive wich runs I expect a little slower but does the job for my Linux needs... And my Windows is down again...