Your Computer Configuration

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Your Computer Configuration

Post by Lukeno94 »

Guess I might as well comment on my rig, as it stands, here:

Intel Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz (planning on replacing with an i5 soon)
Gigabyte LGA1155 ATX motherboard
12GB DDR3 RAM @ ~1374 MHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 2GB
Sandisk 120 GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD + Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1
24x Lite-On DVD-RW + 10x LG BD-RE
LG Flatron IPS224V 21.5" HD LED monitor

Who is jealous? :p
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Lukeno94 wrote:Who is jealous? :p
FRUKIScze wrote: My computer has this configuration:
Intel Celeron 1,00ghz
256mb RAM
64mb integrated graphics
40gb HDD
win XP sp3
me!!! :rofl:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Glen wrote:I found that topic with the search engine. I wanted to ask about Computer configuration,

[...]

Did I forgot something? some modification suggestion?
I was just asking about what do you think about it?
Buka

Post by Buka »

Lukeno94 wrote:Who is jealous? :p
I hope you use it not only for playing GeneRally? :D
Glen

Post by Glen »

Never mind... it does not matter...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Glen wrote:I was just asking about what do you think about it?
To me it sounds reasonable choice. :up:

BTW Luke, not jelous, rather still not used to see 2GB in case of only graphic cards, it still sounds to me like over the top, when recall my nbk has it for all running. :lol:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Lukeno94 wrote:Intel Core i3 2120 3.3 GHz (planning on replacing with an i5 soon)
Why don't you directly buy an i7? :D Or doesn't it work with your mainboard? ;)

And no SSD? That sucks :rofl:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I have an SSD, and I can't, at present, justify the cost of an i7, to be truthful. My motherboard will take an i7, if it's a LGA 1155 variant.

2GB graphics RAM is actually necessary if you're playing at HD resolutions and above, with lots of anti aliasing and such. It's pointless on a bargain-basement card that doesn't have the horsepower to benefit from it, but on a high-end card, it's useful. I play GTA IV, DiRT 3, etc, absolutely maxxed out on the top settings, with good framerates.

@Glen: The computer is very good, but I don't see why you'd buy a computer with an i7 and a GTX660, to be honest - GTX670 and i7 at least.
Glen

Post by Glen »

the 670 is far more expensive, I'll have 2 slots on my motherboard to add the same card later :)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well at least make sure it's a GTX 660Ti, which is only a bit more expensive, but considerably faster than the GTX 660.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I finally decided to buy a new computer. Think I'd been running my last one for way too many years. Did mean I lost a few WIP's but that's life.

My Machine I call "Fury":
Tower : Antec 100
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Gen 4
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.0GHz (Slightly overclocked :bg: )
GPU: Radeon HD 6870 (To be replaced soon with 2 x GTX670)
RAM : G.Skill RipJaws 2x4GB (To be replaced with 4x8Gb Ram)
Processor Fan : Stock Intel (Even though I had a fan to replace it, it works well)
PSU: Corsair 850W
HDD 1: Samsung 120GB Solid State
HDD 2: Samsung HD322HJ (320GB)
HDD 3: WDC WD1600JS (160GB, the same drive that I had my old stuff on but I wiped it)
Tower Fans: 2x Antec Stock Fans
Screens: Acer AL1916W (19") and a Samsung S23B350 (23") (Will soon have another 2 Samsung's for a triple monitor setup)

I have no CD/DVD/BluRay Drive at the moment though. We don't own any in the house that is new enough :doh:

The last machine I had while I had no PC is a 2004 iMac G5, Dual Core 2GHz with 4GB of Ram. Sounds pretty decent on paper but it was pretty slow.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

^Someone had to try and beat me. :p 32 GB of RAM? How much video editing do you intend to do? XD
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Crowella wrote:RAM : G.Skill RipJaws 2x4GB (To be replaced with 4x8Gb Ram)
32gb!?!?! Why so much?!? 2x8gb will be enough IMO.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well, I'm actually also going to be getting 32 GB of ram on my next upgrade. It's needed for producing music. So no, seeing that much isn't a big of a deal these days really.. I'll be also pumping the money to get a top of the line processor simply so the hardware won't die on me as I produce. (As it does now...) It just remains to be seen WHEN I can actually buy these. :P I'd have to change the whole package at the same time anyway so it's going to be a costly change again..
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

1nsane got it right. It's to help with any music production I do considering I just spent a bit getting some music gear to do so. I do occassionally like to make/edit videos and I do a bit of graphics work from time to time with websites so it helps there. The machine right now is brilliantly fast, the best I've ever used by a lot but I want to make it last for a few years.

I know after saying that you would probably wonder why the i5 instead of the i7? Simply put it's to do with cost. I needed a machine as soon as I could for University and while I will be programming and running code that takes a few hours to generate data (!), this is more than enough. Also should mention for gaming, the difference between the i5 and i7 is minimal
Lukeno94 wrote:^Someone had to try and beat me. :p 32 GB of RAM? How much video editing do you intend to do? XD
Not intentionally going for the win with this PC. I just wanted one that was the best for the money I had. It's an overkill system for GR and a few other things but suprisingly I can edit LMAP's a bit quicker :rofl:

You at least have a GTX670, which is better :bg:
View my archived circuits/cars here
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Here's my setup. Kinda low-end by today's standards, but it can still play Minecraft at a smooth 60fps with Optifine.

Tower: Simbadda SimCool
Number of fans: 7 (inc. processor fan, largest is about 8cm in diameter)
Motherboard: ASUS P5G41C-M LX
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4600
RAM : V-GEN DDR3 2GB
Processor Fan : Stock Intel
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 (240GB)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster E1920 19", 1366X768
Last edited by resir014 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I am here to say hello from my new notebook, which arrive a hour ago. First think, what i downloaded was generally :D It´s ASUS X75A-TY034H (you can find configuration on google :-P) It cost 10.000Kc, that is something about 500dolars/400euro/300pounds, so it´s not gaming machine, but it´s enough for student + for gaming i have PS3
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

My main computer is now my laptop ( Toshiba Satellite L740) since my PC is prone to CPU breaks and I mostly use this for stuffs...

My laptop has:
- 2GB + 4GB RAM
- Toshiba 1TB HDD x3 partitions - two for OSs and one for files (formerly Seagate 280GB HDD)
- Windows 7 64bit + Windows 8 64bit
- Intel HD Graphics 2GB VGA
- Intel Core i3 CPU

Any recommendations for VGAs/configs so I can run games @ full FPS? My computer can run games faster with 2GB but I forgot what the VGA was since it's broken right now...

PS: Upgrades are in bold; I also repaired my LED screen at the same time I am upgrading those
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

You upgraded to Windows 8? That's what we call downgrade :D.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Mad Dan wrote:You upgraded to Windows 8? That's what we call downgrade :D.
It isnt as bad, as I expected. i have WIN 8 too. There is deskop mode, which is same as WIN 7.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

It's more than that :).
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

You lose the ability to watch DVDs unless you get a program that comes with the codecs for them, for example. Which is just pathetic.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

No, actually I splitted my HDD's partition into three and one of them is reserved for Win8. Win7 is still intact but both are 64bit

As an Informatics Engineering student, I could use it for game-making purposes (hello Construct!) and whatnot, though I haven't used Win8 since I have lots of stuffs in Win7... But maybe if my college has a program where every student develops an app in a semester I'd love to do, especially making games. Talk about Microsoft partnership :p
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
resir014

Post by resir014 »

I don't understand the excessive hatred over Win8.

Yes, I know that the Metro UI makes it look like a closed platform, but hell, Windows is known for it's customizability. You CAN ALWAYS find a loophole to it.

Just remove all the Metro apps from the start screen and pin your favourite desktop apps there. Wasn't that so hard? You are NOT forced to use the existing Metro apps. If you don't like it, you can just remove them from the start screen, and just start working as usual.

I'm looking forward to the 8.1 update which bring some enhancements that I truly need, and I won't doubt buying a Windows 8 laptop for when I start college. No way would I spend $200 for an operating system.
Lukeno94 wrote:You lose the ability to watch DVDs unless you get a program that comes with the codecs for them, for example. Which is just pathetic.
VLC. K-Lite Codec Pack. As I said, no-matter how they started to make it sort of look like a closed platform, Windows is known for its customizability. There's always a loophole to everything.

/rant
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I said unless you get a program, and that involves getting a program. :rofl: Windows is known for Microsoft cutting out more of its customizability in every update. Windows 8 has a worse UI, a bunch of removed features (many of which are actually good/useful), and a lot more incompatibility issues than Win 7. And yes, I've used it.