Gaming memories

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Quklis

Gaming memories

Post by Quklis »

What games have been big in your life and ones you have best memories of (No need to mention GeneRally ;) ). I know the theme is overlapping with Games-topic, but it's a bit different :scratch:

For me, the first gaming memory I have is from our old NES, playing ExciteBike. I also remember some variation of Super Mario, but the enemies were too scary for me.. I was about 3 years old back then :mrgreen: (Sadly, the console broke down :shake: )

Then was Playstation 1, and our first games were Crash Bandicoot 2 and V-Rally, very good games both. Also I used to play NHL Powerplay, Crash Team Racing and Driver very much. Then Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was great game when I was 8 or so.

Game Boy Color and Pokemon Red were my first very own console and game, year 2000 or so when Pokemon TV-series and games were very popular for kids. Pokemon Gold wasn't so big thing, but the first generation games are one of the most legendary ever.

Later got Playstation 2 and Game Boy Advance and stuff...
Sutinen

Re: Gaming memories

Post by Sutinen »

Pokemon brings smile on my face, because I used to play them when I was little kid. :D

Also spyro and crash bandicoot at PS1.
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Racing
I started with Daytona USA but... have you ever heard about the touring car association (ToCA)?? I have ALL of them (except for the horrible GRiD).
Sports
My 1st games were FIFA 99 & NBA 99... but the best ones have been Athens 2004 and Rugby 08.
Action
Metal slug series, I started with Metal slug X and now I have Metal slug X, 3, Anthology and 7 for the DS. Problem is I cannot get Metal slug 7XX because it's for the Xbox 360.
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Ah, FIFA 99... I have that on my Win98 machine. :D ToCA is a brilliant game, I've also owned all but GRiD, but I've never played Race Driver 2 - I didn't have WinXP at that point! :D
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I got my first console, PS2, when I was 10 years old, so my first gaming memories are from PC.
I remember that on my first own (well, it was in my room at least) computer was Windows 95 and it had MS-DOS games like Super Mario, Pacman, Tetris and so on. I also remember a very old F1 game. (it had many other games than those too - I got the computer from my grandpa who's a computer expert) At that time I was 4-5 or something.
Then I got a Windows 98 in my room. On that computer I played Age of Empires 1 first, then I got AoE 2 + expansion, and later Heroes 3. I played these games a lot, and also NHL 2003 later. I got new games very rarely, like one new game a year. This is mostly because I didn't use the Internet and didn't get news from other games.
Then I started school, and my friends introduced me the PS1 (I had played them a little bit at my relatives before though), one friend even had the magical PS2 :eyes: I didn't get one myself, even if I begged very much :D But I remember some friends always calling me to play with them, because I was so good at playing and they couldn't get pass some hard spot :D Especially Crash Team Racing was a game I played very much.
I got myself a GBC when I was 8 or so, and it's probably not hard to guess that what's the game I played on it. Yep, Pokemon (silver to be exact). That's probably the game I've played the most.
Until some years later I got myself PS2 slim, but it was already '05 and it was getting to be an old thing. Anyway I played that a lot too, games like GT4, Ratchet & Clank series, NHL 06. And later Guitar Hero. I still played the old Pokemon now and then though :D I got more games for PS2 than to PC, altogether I've had about 25 different games, but I've sold some and now I have about 15.
About the same time I got the PS2 I also got internet connection to my old 98, which was reformated to XP. It was still a crappy 400 MhZ computer, but it did run GeneRally ;) ;) (I joined RSC at 2005 when I was 10 y/o and been active member since then, with some breaks included)
For my 12th birthday I finally got a new computer (1,8 GhZ), which is the computer that I still use. I played some internet FPS games like the free Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and CS. And a bit later a friend introtuced me to World of Warcraft. That caused me to abandon GR completely for ~½ year. I really enjoyed playing the game. (those were the times when the 1st expansion was new) after the ½ year has passed I returned to GR, and my trackmaking career really got kicked off, I won ToM and got some podiums. I still kept playing WoW for another ½ year, and after quitting it, because it was too expensive for me, but mostly because my parents thought, that I play it waaay too much, and didn't allow me to play it more than couple of hours per day. Well, it's quite impossible to be successful in that game that way.
I didn't play anything really for about a year, PS2 seldomly, and also Civilization IV on PC sometimes. Then I started playing WoW again (now we are at '09 autumn), I played it even more than earlier, but my parents didn't this time give me limits. I got to a nice Finnish guild, and we were really on the top of the server, especially when we were the first ones to kill one new tough boss after it had been added to the game. Anyway I didn't enjoy the game now as much as I used to, the 2nd expansion had made it really easy and also my computer didn't run the game properly, and I also had some problems with my wireless connection. In the start of this spring I quitted WoW again, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'll some day start playing it again (especially if/when I get a new computer).
After that I've actually played nothing, very randomly on PC or the old PS2. I haven't got a console from the newest generation, I would like to have one though, but not like it's my biggest dream. I'm quite sure, that when I get my hardware updated (either computer or console), I will start playing more again.

:hattip:
FogoRJ

Post by FogoRJ »

You'll laugh at me.:lol:
I had an early version of Atari (version 2600). in 1979 (purchased in the USA)
I remember with nostalgia of the games: Space Invader, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Enduro, Donkey Kong, etc. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600
In the late 80s, received a gift from a girlfriend. A Nintendo console, but has not played much (it was the end of my university) ... but remember the Super Mario, Castelvania among others.
It's fun to remember this time! :bg:
ECOlogic Racing Team
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Talking about systems, I have had a little bit of everything... in chronological order...

· Super Nintendo (from my older brother, about 25 games)
· Gameboy (from my brother, 29 games)
· SEGA Mega drive (7 games)
· Playstation (48 games)
· Gameboy advance (16 games)
· Playstation 2 (59 games)
· Playstation portable (8 games)
· Wii (11 games)
· Playstation 3 (18 games)

Best thing about my gaming experience?? All, except the SMD and the PSP, still work pretty well.
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
Buka

Post by Buka »

FogoRJ, the same to me. I've had ZX Spectrum in early and mid 90-ies and there were 3 games which I played the most and which I will always remember (though now they seemed to be soooo boring): Dynamite Dan, Saboteur! and also Destructo (or something like that. Can't remember exact name). Nothing much to say about them, but it was difficult time, and I was just a small kid, and I had computer (one between all classmates!) and I was on the seventh heaven playing them.

Nostalgy. :weep:
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Dad telling me he was able to get a new race game for the pc: Grand Prix 2.

Started off doing a championship in a McLaren being absolutely hopeless (I was 6!). Being hopeless slow, nothing did work out, except for Barcelona. Qualified 14th (very good, as I was usually last!) and got up to 7 into the last lap, where Bergers car died, me finishing 6th and scoring a point!

I remember I was so proud, that I printed the result to show it to my grandmother :goodvibes:
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Quklis wrote:our first games were Crash Bandicoot 2 and V-Rally, very good games both.
V-rally 2 was my first consolegame. For me, it's the best game in PS1 evermade. I had a great battles with my dad. In computer I also had supaplex and formula game called "Accelerate" which contained 6 or 8 tracks (at least Brazil, Germany, Italy, Monaco, USA, Japan) and 3 cars (ferrari, Williams, McLaren) Thet were driven in cocpit camera and they have a huge steering wheel and awesome 8-bit sound :D Does anyone remember that?
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Accolade Grand Prix Circuit :)

Maybe the first game I ever played.
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Alonsomania wrote:Accolade Grand Prix Circuit :)

Maybe the first game I ever played.
Yes. This was it. Y´Thanks :roses: That music is AWESOME!!
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

I have my old NES and SNES lying somewhere in here... On the NES I once enjoyed Super Mario World 3 but since it's a quite hard game, I mostly played Tetris, with the 10 levels of difficulty and the color changing shapes - The second best game in 2D :D (My other games on this where SuperMarioWorld2 TeenageMutantTurtle2)
On the SNES, I had few games... A Pool game and the best 2D in the world: SuperMarioWorld... With the Yoshi and all... Possibility to save... Just awesome!

My most recent console was my Nintendo DS... No 360 or PS3...
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

Alonsomania wrote:Dad telling me he was able to get a new race game for the pc: Grand Prix 2.

Started off doing a championship in a McLaren being absolutely hopeless (I was 6!). Being hopeless slow, nothing did work out, except for Barcelona. Qualified 14th (very good, as I was usually last!) and got up to 7 into the last lap, where Bergers car died, me finishing 6th and scoring a point!

I remember I was so proud, that I printed the result to show it to my grandmother :goodvibes:
That almost made me cry :weep:
:D

I remember that the first game I played was Golden Axe (on PC). I remember that I had managed to finish it with my dad and I was really proud.
Signatures are overrated
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Darjo wrote:
Alonsomania wrote:Dad telling me he was able to get a new race game for the pc: Grand Prix 2.

That almost made me cry :weep:
:D

I remember that the first game I played was Golden Axe (on PC). I remember that I had managed to finish it with my dad and I was really proud.
I recall flying downstairs in an absolutely amazing pace to tell my dad in which position I have finished :P

Always had to go to the swimming pool during the swimming lessons of my sisters. God, that was boring. Two hours doing nothing but walking around :kickcan: I still remember how happy I was when my dad was free on that day every other week so I could stay home and I was allowed to play games on my fathers work pc (which was super fast - 500 mhz!)
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

FogoRJ wrote:Atari (version 2600)
FogoRJ wrote:I remember with nostalgia of the games: [...] Pac-Man
Man, Pac-man on the Atari 2600 is the worst game ever...
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

that was an epic story :bowdown: i loved GP2 so much (i would have been 7) it was the first f1 game i had (i had Indycar racing 1 and 2 before that)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

OlafK wrote:
Maybe today but in 1979? :P
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

It took me years to figure out how qualification worked, I was always 14th or 15th (the slowest of those who driven) yet I was always starting 26th!
I was so slow at Monaco I stopped racing, turned around, drove the track backwards and steered right into Hill who was leading :lol:

Every sunday or so, dad would allow me to go on the internet (56k!) to check if new GP2 carsets were released. Downloaded them (must've taken atleast 10 minutes for every set!), copied them onto floppies, put the floppies in my pc and copy them onto my pc.

Aah, those were the times.

I must have spent 40 hours playing Midtown Madness, just wandering around wrecking everything left and right.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Gran Turismo for the PS1 was the game that really dragged me into liking cars.

I remember I could pass all of the B-license tests except for the first two, and I never figured it out until I was nine years old.
(By then I had Gran Turismo 2)
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I vaguely remember fighting for the lead in GTR Evolution before someone clipped my rear and threw me straight off. Also for getting a stop-go penalty in said game for "shortcutting" - at Anderstorp, coming off the end of the airstrip straight, most of us fell off, I fell off by the least amount and jumped from 10th-ish to 4th. Then got a stop-and-go. Needless to say, I was annoyed. :D
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

TuomoH wrote:
OlafK wrote:
Even in 1979.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_(A ... #Reception
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2p2ANFlQ4
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

OlafK wrote:
TuomoH wrote:
OlafK wrote:Man, Pac-man on the Atari 2600 is the worst game ever...
Even in 1979.
Not even close to being the worst. ;)

Some of my gaming memories?

Playing a game where you flew in a side-scrolling cave with a spaceship. VIC-20 at cousin's place circa 1982.

Rambo First Blood Part II was the first game I played when I finally got Commodore 64 in 1989. That I absolutely loved.

Microprose Soccer for C64 as well, I loved the crazy curve ball that you could get coming back. And the slippery field when raining.

For Amiga, Monkey Island I was absolutely fabulous when it came out, even though I got my Amiga a bit later. I loved those LucasFilm adventure games - I still do.

The first F1GP was great as well. I had one season with a friend, we both drove Ferraris. You could only play multiplayer so that you drove in turns and the AI handled the other player's car while the other played. In Monaco I was in lead, both in points and race, and I thought it'd be cool that we both came to finish side by side so I slowed down in the last curve - too bad I couldn't accelerate as fast then while the AI driving my friend's car passed me. That pass literally costed me the championship...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Ok... This comes exactly as I remember, without looking at any of the games I have had. I know I have many, but this way I remember the games that are actually worthy to remember. The timeline might bounce a little because some stuff comes up from other and things like this. I also haven't read your posts yet so I won't get any of those "ah yes, there's that game too!" ideas. I will read them after this post. I will also give a picture of the "gaming rig" I have in the next post I put here, replying to what people have written.

But let's go!

I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure on which game was the first one I played. I'm pretty confident it was some of the first test drives on my dad's computer. It was a laptop, so it was something pretty special for the beginning of 1990's. It had a Windows 3.11 or 3.1 or something I guess. We also used to play a "game" on paint with my sister. It was pretty much like that cannon game. I'm quite sure my sister cheated, she always won. There were no clear rules anyway, it was just Paint after all. But anyways, the Test Drive. It was soo much fun. Driving next to the canyon and having to refuel. The cops chasing and giving tickets, and everything. I didn't understand anything of the game back then, I was maybe 4 years old, but it still was fun!

But then there was also the SNES that my sister had. And here is the problem, which one was first. The laptop or the SNES. I know the first game I played on SNES was Super Mario. Super Mario 3 to be more exact. That was the funniest one of all of them on the package. The game was that one, that had SM1, SM2, SM3 and SM Lost Stages in it. It came with the console. It was, and still is a great game.

But also! There's the snoopy game. I can't even remember what was supposed to be done in it. Maybe carry something. The game was a single game type. It was a huge machine just dedicated to snoopy. Sort of like a portable arcade system. I was pretty good at that, I guess.

Since the SNES was the first actual gaming machine we had, that machine brings out many memories. Rocky & Pocky, a game which propably no one else knows. A great Japanese top down shooter, where you fight either as a miko (well, a shrine maiden) or a raccoon. It had a two player mode and that's what we used to play. I wasn't very good at the game, to be honest. But still, we managed to play through the game many times.
Jurassic Park 2, I was the only one who could beat so many stages. We never got through the game though, because of the lava world that we didn't find out how to beat.
That darned ball puzzle game where you can transform yourself so you can get past the obstacles. We had to keep the machine on for maybe a week to play through the game. No saves, and a darned hard game. I never liked it really, mostly because I was too young for that sort of a game.

We got the first PC for home use when I was 7. That's the moment when I became a nerd. While others were playing soccer outside, I was playing Screamer 2 and that funny WRC game at home. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 was also a great game. I used to fight a lot with my sister over who's time it was to play. I mostly played these three games or then just tried some demos. We got a magazine every month that came with a demo CD every time. I did this until none of the games would load on the PC anymore. In 2000, the PC was already too old.

During the first 6 grades of primary school, my best friend had a PlayStation. We always played that strange racing game where you could hit the competitors and stuff like this. Almost like Mario Kart. We also played Tekken, but it was just a demo. Oh, and Crash Bandicoot. I didn't like the game really, but whatever, it was fun to watch. I also tried GTA on my other friend. That was just mind blasting. If it just started to work. It was a pirate version. But the console had a good cracking chip in it, it allowed colourful picture. Some of the hacking chips provided just black & white.

In 2000 we get a new computer. It was a rocket! And it came with Age of Empires 2. The game looked SOOO AMAZING with the 3D graphics! Or wait, were there 3D graphics yet, or am I confusing it with the 2003 computer? Anyways, it looked good. The intro video was just something mind blowing. In 2000 I also got the second wheel, The Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP. A wheel I still use. And will use until it doesn't work anymore. I played Grammond's GP 3 a lot. And NFS2 and 3. And Simcity 3000. The game just crashed quite a lot because of the computer. Oh, and The Sims! I own almost all of the expansion packs for it too. I didn't buy the last three of them because there was no point in them. And we already got the first internet connection, so I could download some mod packs from the modding sites. But it was just an expensive 28kbit modem, so I didn't get much out of it.
I guess Midtown Madness 2 and Red Faction came during this computer's lifespan too. I played A LOT during 2000-2003. And I really mean it. A LOT. I just can't remember what I played on the computer.
Well, there also was Unreal Tournament actually. That's the game I played during the WTC attacks. I even remember what level I was playing. I just can't remember the name like this, but if I saw it I would remember it. I had made the teams so they were... Wait I had named the players as my classmates. Haha, and then I laughed so hard at some of the deaths and then my father once came and asked wether it was so much fun to kill my classmates. I don't know... It kinda was. Not that I ever wanted to kill them in real life. Except for maybe one, but during the later years. Oh wait, you didn't read that part. :D

I also got GTA 3 the same year it came. Yes, I was "a little" underaged for it. But back then no one cared about the age limits of games. It just didn't work too well on the computer so I couldn't really play it much.

In 2000 or 2001 Christmas I got the Dreamcast. My very first, completely own console! And NOOOOOO ONE ELSE HAD ONE! Seriously. None. None of my classmates had one... There was only ONE store in my city selling the games for the console. And the games cost about... 400 Finnish Marks, maybe about 60-70 euros these days. With inflation, even more. And I was buying some of these games with my OWN MONEY. Others were buying silly toys, I was already buying games. A game costing 400 Marks meant quite a lot of gathering, since I only got about... Maybe 10-20 marks a week, a max. And I was also buying the games for PC. I never actually bought any candy during these years. Never. And this is the reason.

But on to the games... Sonic Adventures was a great game. I never played it through though. My sister did. I have been thinking about playing it again myself, but... Maybe I have enough of time soon. And Crazy Taxi... Ooh yes. The huge jumps of San Francisco! And Worms Armageddon... Then there was also the predecessor for PGR. I can't remember the name. It was sort of fun, but it was just way too hard. So in the end I hated the game. But now the lens in my Dreamcast is broken or something, so it can't read the disc of this game anymore. That sucks hard.
Oh, there was also this great... V8 something game. It had a cool remix of Toggata & Fugue. And it was a great game. It was so much fun to play as a bus and then ram all the other cars while shooting your miniguns and doing the combos for huge rocket attacks. All this while running away from that scary huge ant. That was one of those really scary parts when it showed up the first time. I didn't want to play the level anymore, or wanted to beat the level quickly enough so the ant wouldn't come.
I also got Chu Chu Rocket for free from Sega, because of the difficulties they had in producing some plug for the internet connection. I never could have gotten a connection to the machine anyways, so... It was just a pure win win situation for me. And the game was pretty fun too.

In 2003, there was a GameOn! festival thingie in Helsinki. I went there with a relative. I played Halo there. It was amazing. How could a console shooter feel so exact. And the graphics were so real. The festival had some other games too, it had pretty much all of the historic games in there. I played them all. Everything from the original Pong to... Well... Whatever else there just was. Including Rez. And man, did that game blow my mind. I just kept on playing it there for a long while. I never got to know the name of the game there. Later I did, but that comes in later.

In 2003 we get a new computer. The reason for this was partly because the previous one was too old already, and partly because I... Well... messed up the windows. So a new computer, and more POWARRRR! And now comes the Tycoon Boom too. Railroad Tycoon 2, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, SimCity 4 and 3000, The Sims and Sims 2, All the numerous other Tycoons I can't remember. I guess this is also the first moment I have played Doom2. But already I am losing the grip into gaming a little. To PC gaming atleast. We got the 2mbit cable connection during 2003-2004 too, so this meant the change into what I am more like these days.

I also bought the PS2 started packaged sometime during... Was it 2004 or 2005 when the package was released? I bought it with my OWN MONEY! God, that cost a lot with my incomes. Something like 300-350 euros. I have bought the most games for this console. But still, there aren't really that big gems now that I think about it. Gran Turismo 4 was a great fun until the save crashed and I ditched the game pretty much completely for a year.. San Andreas was great fun, but still nothing too special. Black was the best console FPS I have played... Many driving games. Even more driving games. Oh yeah, FlatOut -series! Especially during Flatout 2 I was just amazed. How could they get so much stuff on the track. And Driven to Destruction. I think it's still the most entertaining game for that console. Wrestling... I liked wrestling back then.

Ah, and here comes Rez again! I searched for the game for at least 2 years around internet. I just didn't know what words to use to search it. I went through all the Playstation song games at IGN, but there was just nothing that was similar. But then, once, just by accident I saw a picture of the game. And there it was, the name! But then came the even harder part. Where to get the game. It wasn't the game meant for masses, so it was nowhere to be found in stores. But then, by a magic accident I decided to look at Huutonet. Something similar to eBay. And someone was selling the masterpiece for 20€! It was completely new, still in the wrapping. And just 20€! There were no questions about it, I bought it. Thank god no one else wanted it. That is a game I will never let go of. I can't wait for the new game from the same creator.

Time goes on and gaming goes on.. I get the real sim racing bug with GTR2. I joined ASW -league. Then I bought rFactor. Yeah... A new season is starting this September. I didn't really play anything else than these and maybe some tycoons.

In May 2008 I bought myself the PS3. The reason? GTA 4. At first I was thinking about buying the console once GT5 comes. But then I saw one video of GTA 4. Just one. And I saw the physics of the game. And I thought... I HAVE TO GET THAT NOW! So I paid 500€ of the console and the game. Again, pretty expensive. But it was well worth it. That single game paid the whole console back. I have played hundreds of hours of it. I had about a 30 hour streak when I got the game. I played the game through on one go.
Motorstorm 2 was another nice game. And I got Rock Band on the same Christmas. And Burnout Paradise was great fun.

This year I have bought the God of War package for PS3. There were nice games, except for some of the silly jump sequences accompanied with a silly camera. And I bought Heavy Rain... Not that good actually. Well it was good, I loved the story. But I never played it again to find out the rest of the endings. I don't think I even want to find out the rest of the endings. That would propably just be heart shattering.

For PC, I have bought many games, thanks to the Steam sales. But most of those are still waiting to be played.

Urf, that was a long post. :P
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Nice to see so many posts in this intresting topic :bg:
1nsane wrote:In 2003, there was a GameOn! festival thingie in Helsinki. I went there with a relative. I played Halo there. It was amazing. How could a console shooter feel so exact. And the graphics were so real. The festival had some other games too, it had pretty much all of the historic games in there. I played them all. Everything from the original Pong to... Well... Whatever else there just was. Including Rez. And man, did that game blow my mind. I just kept on playing it there for a long while. I never got to know the name of the game there. Later I did, but that comes in later.
Oh I remember that too, absolutely loved it and went couple of times there. Pong is about the only game I remember from there though :mrgreen:.

Also now I remembered that we had an old DOS computer with only couple of games.. One that I played most was this game with different winter sports, there was cross-country skiing, skijumping and bobsleigh. I was very proud when I first time got the bobsleigh track through, it was quite hard to keep the sleigh on track. Other games on the computer I can't really remember :shrug: