What other games than GeneRally you play?

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
The Noose

Re: What other games than GeneRally you play?

Post by The Noose »

I highly recommend F.E.A.R. to everyone. One of the best horror FPS games. :yummy: Have any of you guys played F.E.A.R.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
1nsane

Camper Wars

Post by 1nsane »

So, hello everyone! Urh, I'm do bad at starting new threads... :D
Anyways.

Everything started in April when me and my friend noticed that "darned, we won't be getting any summer jobs, stupid recession!". So we decided that we would study some coding languages and some internet stuff during the summer, while going to the summer school too to get atleast some money.. And then we had already planned that we would go to Assembly festival together + with some other people. And then BOOM! Why don't we try to create a game for the game compo!

Since we both like racing games we decided it would be a racing game. But we didn't know what kind of a racing game it should be. Behind the car, tabletop, arcade, simulation(ish)? Well, ones the friend slapped a comment in Google Wave that the cars should have a caravan that they would pull. Obviously it was first just a joke, but... We will see how it progresses. :D If everything goes well, there should be multiple cars and caravans to choose from. And no, camper doesn't mean a FPS camper this time..

Now, the funny part is that we have zero experience in creating a game. I have practically no previous coding experience, except for the languages that I had this year in school. So this means C, Java, Javascript, PHP... My friend propably knows more about some of the languages, but surely not nearly enough for this to be an easy task. I can do the music, the sound effects and some graphics. I don't know much about 3D-modelling. My friend... Well... Nothing really. :D But luckily we both are quick learners and willing to do work to get everything done. This was proved in the Java class very well. We really worked to get the code done, but I can easily say that we propably did the best code and best programs. And this pair works so well together that everything should click.

We will have 2 months of time to actually create the game and everything that is needed for it. We have 2 months to learn 3D-modelling, more languages and scripts, pretty much everything you could imagine being a part of a computer game. And since we have NO MONEY to spend on the equipment and software, we will be using freeware software. This means Gimp, Blender, Unity3D... And everything that needs some software.

The brother of my friend also joined in, so now we have 3 rookies in one. Hopefully this makes it atleast a bit easier to accomplish the goal.

Here you can follow a little (private) progress blog sort of thingie. I will try to update this as often as possible, although I can't promise anything. You'll be the first ones to know when we are pulling hair out of our heads and screaming at the screens because THE STUPID PROGRAM JUST WON'T WORK GAHHH! :D

So, today was day one for me in the project. My friend had read some little stuff this weekend, but hadn't actually done anything. He started studying Blender today, and progressed nicely. He started modelling Camaro, and has now finished the hood of it. I started on studying and getting used to Unity3D.

Luckily Unity is pretty similar to Endorphin and Second Life, for example. Thanks to this it was pretty easy to get into the software. Obviously some of the quick keys are missing, but overall everything were where they were meant to be. Most of the evening went with playing out with the software and getting used to it, so nothing too special was saved yet. I also checked on some of the scripting that other people have done. And... It looks pretty nice. I managed to create an island with a road. This is propably what it will be like in the end. Just with more details and stuff like that.

The first picture shows what I have done and the second one shows what my friend has done.

Assembly, here we come!! :cool2: Wish us luck! (And laugh at us once we fail miserably...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Camper Wars

Post by Trigger Happy »

Good luck! :bg:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

It would be great if you try to pick layouts of few most famous GR tracks and build some tracks :)
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Good luck. Can't wait to see it when it's done :D
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

FogoRJ

Post by FogoRJ »

Cool! Good luck to you! :bg:
ECOlogic Racing Team
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Hahaha. :D I guess we can't use it as that but... Somekind of a hidden cover might be possible... :nod:
Dan Hakulín wrote:It would be great if you try to pick layouts of few most famous GR tracks and build some tracks :)
Hehe, we'll see how it works out. :) Yeah, the layouts are still to be decided and drawn. But there might be some little hints of GR too. Now in more polygons! :D

I just finished the everyday stuff so now it's time to work on this again! Today I will try and add a car in the map that I did yesterday. This is to try out the scales mostly. And to see if the current road is any good. I'm quite sure creating the texture for the roads will be a challenge. I'm hoping we can just use the current way of creating the roads. Otherwise it must be done externally too. And that means I will have to start studying Blender too...
Well actually... Maybe not! Someone at school hinted today that we will get every AutoDesk software for free since we could get a student license! This would be a huge boost! We'll see if this is actually true or not.
I guess I will start drafting some layouts on paper today too.

Ok, a little poll... Which GR original track you would like to see the most in the game? In some kind of shape, propably not as an exact copy..
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

I just started to watch the 24 hours of Le Mans at Racedepartment.com, great racing! Only today! :D

Edit 1: A certain David Garcia is at the 9th place now, this HAS to be the 'famous' Black Rebel, I suppose! :scratch:
Edit 2: David Garcia just went off the track, getting back at a 10th position.
Edit 3: Went off the track again!
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

At the moment I play Colin McRae Rally 2005 and F.E.A.R.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I just remembered a game I used to play as a kid, but can't remember the title. :sorry:

It was a side-view platformer, pretty graphics for back then. You were some sort of miner/digger and had to defend from walking fruit (apples, bananas, pineapples, coconuts,...), each new fruit being harder. To defeat them you had to dig a hole with your pickaxe and wait for them to get caught and then quickly fill the hole up.

Any ideas? :idea: :?:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

MMMhhhhh, when was that?
Could you tell us which year this game came out?
On what console did you play it?
Sounds like a mix between Lode Runner and Dig Dug, but I can't place these 'walking fruits' anywhere. :shrug:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

PS1 games anyone?

Tokyo Highway Battle
NFS: Porsche Unleashed
Rally de Africa
Rally de Europe
Twisted Metal 3, 4 and Small Brawl
and others

Are my games played since I was having PS1. Thank God I have an emulator so I just have to buy some PS1 CD that I like :D
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

The lost Ninja wrote:MMMhhhhh, when was that?
Could you tell us which year this game came out?
On what console did you play it?
Sounds like a mix between Lode Runner and Dig Dug, but I can't place these 'walking fruits' anywhere. :shrug:
It's looks much like Lode Runner, but about 10(?) years after it and prettier graphics. It was on pc and couldn't be larger than 10mb. Why can't I remember the title? :headbang:
Visit My GeneRally site!
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Well I have PS1. :D

I play:

Wu-Tang: Taste the pain
Metal Gear Solid
Colin McRae Rally
Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy I and II

The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

GRF wrote:
I play:

Wu-Tang: Taste the pain
I still have an unfinished version of it's predecessor, 'Thrill Kill'.
The publisher thought it was too violent, and never released it.
Somehow this version leaked onto the market. :scratch:
Strange characters, lots of blood, gameplay...soso.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Rendy wrote:PS1 games anyone?
NFS: Porsche Unleashed
I played this a lot, on my PC 4-5 years back. But then it wasn't running on my new system. :( Last NFS, which gave me fun (mainly when I haven't bought parts to improve the car's performance). :bg:
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Does anyone play rfactor? I might buy rfactor. Then I need a G25! :boxing:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
ZeroCool

Post by ZeroCool »

Yep, I played rFactor for some time with my Logitech FFEX ;) It's a nice game with drift mod and some good tracks :bg: Anyway I prefer LFS Yes I'm S2 licensed :D
Hiken17

Post by Hiken17 »

for ps3:
COD Modern Warfare 2 and
Crash Comando
for pc:
Generally :P
Mad Skills Motocross
Trackmania
Sparta
Toca Race Driver 2 and 3
Super Mario War
Triumph War 2099 (recomended to play with friends) and
Lemming Ball Z
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my gr creations
GeneFans/The official spanish forum
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

ZeroCool wrote:Yep, I played rFactor for some time with my Logitech FFEX ;) It's a nice game with drift mod and some good tracks :bg: Anyway I prefer LFS Yes I'm S2 licensed :D
I may buy it, because I can buy a CD of it. I wont get S2 license, because they dont ship the CD's from german where they are sold and my parents wont use their credit cards in internet.
Im going to get JDM car drift mod for rFactor :trampo:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

I finally found the title to that game I was looking for - Drilling Billy. It's a fun little game, if anyone wants to try it, he/she can DL it from the site. But it's a 40mb DL. :!:
Visit My GeneRally site!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I atm play TDU and ToCa 3
Monkfish

Post by Monkfish »

These ATM
Borderlands
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
RedLynx Trials 2: Second Edition