F1 - Season 2011 *Spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.

Predict the champion!

Poll ended at Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Sebastian Vettel
26%
Mark Webber
3%
Fernando Alonso
23%
Felipe Massa
9%
Lewis Hamilton
6%
Jenson Button
3%
Robert Kubica
20%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Michael Schumacher
11%
Other, who?
No votes

Total votes: 35
Alex

Re: F1 - Season 2011 *Spoiler*

Post by Alex »

Well, suffice to say I won't be watching F1 ever again unless it gets exciting, like it should be. I'll still participate in the prediction game, although I won't be there to see the results.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

That was a boring race? *scratches head*
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yes, it was. The battle for first was over in 5 laps, and most drivers retained their positions throughout the entire race. There were also practically no major incidents, no mechanical failures and no useful replays. Last years' race had much more entertainment. If you thought this race was in any way exciting, then you must have had a heart attack watching Belgium 2009, Monaco 1996, this years' Montreal, Europe 2005, Brazil 2008, and many more races. I might aswell have watched paint dry than watch the last 3 races.
Last edited by Alex on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, I'm not entirely sure if we're both watching F1, because I saw quite a few battles going on throughout the course of the last few races...
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

ok, singapore was dull, but suzuka was thrilling, and ok, this race wasnt amazing, it was disappointing that Vettel managed to get so far ahead in the 2nd stops, but it was a decent battle for 2nd come the end, it wasnt a boring race at all :scratch:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Hmmmwell.. There was that amazing battle between Hamilton and Webber that could be played next to all of those amazing battles in the 50's-80's. So it wasn't all that bad really. Overall I'd say it was more interesting than Suzuka last week. I even managed to stay awake through the race this time. :P And hey, we didn't see anything like this in, say, 2009 or 2010. The races just were "interesting" because of the championship situation, but in reality the races were quite horrible those years.

I have to say that one thing what really made the race less interesting was once again the fact that the cameras were too low, there were too many of them and the had too much of zoom. This meant you could only see practically one or max two cars in a shot and all of the surrounding was just the parking lot, I mean asphalt. They should seriously lift the cameras up a little, make them show a couple of corners at a time (and then have those extra cameras for closeups and replays etc.) and actually show something of the surroundings. Ok, the surroundings of this track are quite horrible and there was about 10 people watching this race but still, you'd get some more athmosphere into the races that way.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1nsane wrote:Ok, the surroundings of this track are quite horrible and there was about 10 people watching this race but still, you'd get some more athmosphere into the races that way.
There was pretty good attendance actually. ;) But you're right with the other thing, this wasn't the flashing Singapore, there was nothing to show out of tons of dirty ground around. Showing it wouldn't fit to carefully built F1's image of fanciest racing series of the world, so bad luck for us - no (almost) bigger sceneries :roll:
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

I don't really care about surrounding, but would definetly see less tarmac areas outside the track
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:
1nsane wrote:Ok, the surroundings of this track are quite horrible and there was about 10 people watching this race but still, you'd get some more athmosphere into the races that way.
There was pretty good attendance actually. ;) But you're right with the other thing, this wasn't the flashing Singapore, there was nothing to show out of tons of dirty ground around. Showing it wouldn't fit to carefully built F1's image of fanciest racing series of the world, so bad luck for us - no (almost) bigger sceneries :roll:
Seeing as so many of the stands were completely empty during the race, even parts of the grandstands, I don't think the attendance really was that good...
But I don't know, I think the theme of this track would be that it is just in a barren lands area with some nice hills in the background. It would work as a backdrop. Although there really is nothing else than mud to show. But it would also be interesting to see the surroundings simply because the area should develop into a housing center. (Well, it's propably never going to happen in the end, but still!)

Edit: And those are exactly the sort of camera angles I would like to see in the races as are shown in the vid by Genesuomi. You see practically one whole sector with one camera. If they used angles like these atleast sometimes, it wouldn't matter that the actual track area was just a parking lot since they would still show what is behind the walls. It would create a better feeling of "being there"
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Yeah a lack of atmosphere was noticable today, i always think the same when i see Shanghai.

I've said it before but trees would go a really long way to making Tilke's tracks so much more atmospheric, i noticed a few saplings on the long straight in todays race, but they just arent close or old enough to make a difference... Hopefully Austin will keep the trees around the landscape currently there :2c:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

This is more for 2012 but anyways... Could we see at least a bit more competitive Mercedes in the beginning of next year? If this works well, it just might be the case.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-176503.html

You have to say this is a very interesting design idea. I bet they already had something like this in their minds in 2010 when the F-Duct was introduced and banned (Hey, it's Ross Brawn!) but they just didn't dare to use it this year because the dust was just falling from the ban, so they might have even been designing and planning on this for almost a year. Let's just hope FIA won't ban this even before it is used. I'd like to see how well it works. I'd expect the effect to be a bit smaller than with the original F-Duct, but then again it would work through the whole bottom of the floor instead of just the rear wing, which might still make it even more effective.

You also have to wonder what kind of loopholes Adrian Newey & co. have found at Red Bull for the next year. Or will they just rely purely on Adrian Newey's golden hand which seems to draw the winning cars so well.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

I've heard it was trialled at Suzuka, but i reckon it wasnt very successful, otherwise we wouldn't know about it.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Just a reminder for the peeps (including me) wanting to watch the race live, it will start at XX.30 your local time because of the wonky timezone Indians have decided to slap on themselves. And to make it even more trickier, there's even the daylight saving time on Sunday (at 4am our local time) at least in Finland. So tune those clocks before you go to sleep and make sure you will definitely see everything!

Not that you will see anything, though... Smog. :ouch: And in case it somehow manages to lift a little, there's going to be a powercut, causing all of the cameras to be shut off for x hours. So... Err... Enjoy! :D
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Yeah, theres something similar in czech :D so I can easily end up waking up for last part of race....
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Just sterted to wonder, what's the point with kerbs if there's tarmac behind them :scratch: Layout looks quite nice but the run-offs are still tarmac...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Maybe marking border for ''outside shortcutting'' or how to call it? Like the warning, which came in this spirit before start at Spa related to runoffs of La Source? :scratch: Otherwise :shrug:.

BTW Virgin seems to be finished. :hang:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Where the hell did Vettel pull that lap from? Still, great to see Jenson so close to Lewis.
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Abu Dhabi is definetly the worst track in calendar. There are no place to overtake, it's not challenging for the drivers, it's completely flat and those blue run-offs are ugly. With those multiple layouts it doesn't look like a racetrack. It's more like a playgrounf for billioniers. I wouldn't call that a Formula 1 race. It was a sponsor exhibition for oil sheikhs :mad:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I wouldn't say it's the worst track in the calendar, and all things considered, it wasn't that bad a race, although I would agree that the double-DRS zones achieved very little.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

GeneSuomi wrote:it's not challenging for the drivers
If that's true I know why I rate Vettel as a stupid idiot :D (although it may not even have been entirely his fault)
But I agree with GS that the track looks very bad, with all the blue paintings on it :talkth:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

GeneSuomi wrote:those blue run-offs are ugly.
My girlfriend thought it was water lol, she doesn't know very much about motorsports :(

Although at least that would have made the excitement last a little longer than turn 2 on lap 1, that was a difficult race to watch imo...
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Yup, the architecture of the buildings is definately more spectacular than the track layout.... :P :misch:
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

XYY wrote:
GeneSuomi wrote:it's not challenging for the drivers
If that's true I know why I rate Vettel as a stupid idiot :D (although it may not even have been entirely his fault)
Vettel was 100 % victim. I mean, what can you do wrong in a distance of two corners to blow the whole tire. It wasn't a small scratsh. I also hate that tunnel in pit lane. It's just showing off. Monza has the best pit lane. In and out without cruising to the third corner...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I liked the DRS once. :) The way how it was returning the overtaken driver back in front, if both cars were on same level (so we had some nice moves on screen, but basically that artificiality thing hadn't impact on the duel's result). But if one car was much faster, it simply ruled and didn't stayed stuck for dozens of laps (like Alonso previous year), which was PITA of past. :yummy:

BTW I don't admire Vettel, but he isn't a stupid guy. :shake2:
cocney

Post by cocney »

For me DRS on every track is stupid :headbang: . The leader can make big advantage on slow cars like HRT and Lotus :( . This is the most stupid things in F1!!! Races aren't good with DRS. They have lost a flame and embers in overtaking :weep: . For me it isn't fun to watch F1 anymore because there is to little funny and hard overtakes, and when I know that Vettel will win almost every race :ashamed: .
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.