Multi Lingual Junk!

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
thegreatfalcon

Multi Lingual Junk!

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Hi all. Another thread created, well, by me... :roll: I actually had the idea to request you people to help me with my English actually... You know, I'm getting old and can't remember what I knew in the past... Well, in fact, English is a language that I'm learning and I love it so much! I would appreciate any help from you if I make mistakes in my posts or even on Facebook and MSN if you are in my lists... That would actually be really cool :flip: Just reply after any posts of mine if you find mistakes :) Thanks!

So, I can help you too: If you have any interrogations about how to write something in a language, just post it here! I can personally help with French language and also Klingon.
Raska

Re: Multi Lingual Junk!

Post by Raska »

No mistakes, at first read. :bg: :mrgreen:

I like the idea as I somewhere learned english again, thanks to :gr: GeneRally. And I improve my italian writing in GRITA. So, I share this plus/bonus with you.. But perhaps, a thread isn't needed or just for letting people announce their doubts about their english level.. :scratch: or who want to annouce that we can/should correct them.
BTW I'd not name the thread like that.
You are a part of the community, so vote for the ToM Track of the Month

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

All my results thanks to the GWR
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I wish to be softly informed about my gramm. fails too, please (especially about things like get off X get out or on monday X at monday). :mrgreen:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

MULTI-LINGUAL JUNK?

This thread could easily be misunderstood, I consider myself multi-lingual junk, I speak Dutch, German, English, and a few words Turkish, and for the junk, well........ :roflmao: Just can't live without GeneRally.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Well, my attempts at learning Japanese surely are junk... too bad you can't post in Japanese on these forums... :(
Anyway, I am a native English speaker though, so I can help anyone who wants it... I always worry about correcting people though, because some people don't like to be corrected on a forum...
I like short, simple signatures!
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

The lost Ninja wrote:Dutch, German, English,
What's the difference between Dutch and German?
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

The Great Falcon wrote:
What's the difference between French and English?

Also, just a random quote:
"Cease being stupid! Wikipedia: http://wikipedia.org/"
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Quklis wrote:
The Great Falcon wrote:
What's the difference between French and English?

Also, just a random quote:
"Cease being stupid! Wikipedia: http://wikipedia.org/"
LoL!!!! :uglylol: :roflmao:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

The Great Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?
These are two complete different languages.
In Holland they speak dutch.
In Germany they speak German.
I know that can be confusing a lot of people.
So extra for TGF: "No, the flying Dutchman didn't come from Germany!" :lol:

So, now that you learned something, it's my turn:

What's the difference between Québécois and French?.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Holland does not exist as a country. Holland is two of the twelve provinces in the Netherlands: Noord-Holland (North-Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South-Holland). ;)
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Alonsomania wrote:Holland does not exist as a country. Holland is two of the twelve provinces in the Netherlands: Noord-Holland (North-Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South-Holland). ;)
Damn, you're right! I was born in Noord-Holland, but I'm so used to the name "Holland", because I'm living in Germany for many years now.
Ofcourse it should be "The Netherlands" correctly, or "Nederland" in the dutch language.
This comes from the "lower lands" (De lage landen), as Holland (The Netherlands) was called between 1384 and 1494, which included the largest parts of Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, and northern parts of France.
Paw

Post by Paw »

I can say only, that Dutch =/= Deutsch
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Paw wrote:I can say only, that Dutch =/= Deutsch
Sure, as long as you say that Chinese =/= Japanese! :lol:

Actually, you're not completely wrong.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diets
(It states that "dutch" is OFTEN been confused by english AND german-speaking people with the word "deutsch"), which is not very surprising, I got used to it. :mrgreen:

btw:
Does the following sentence make sense to you?
"Powoli powoli, bo can rospierdoli."
Last edited by The lost Ninja on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

The lost Ninja wrote:What's the difference between Québécois and French?.
In fact, it's the same. Just that we don't know how to right it well... :D We also have some contractions and idioms that French people may never even expect to imagine earing of their existence... In example, "I am" in French is "Je suis". Here in Quebec, we say "J'suis" or more contracted: "Chu". The Church words are also converted into swear ones here... The thing called a "Tabernacle" that you see in churches has no other meanings in France. But here, if you see, in example, something very unusual, you may say "J'ai vu un tabarnak de gros chevreil" which means about "I've seen a f**king big deer" (NOTE: deers are named "chevreuils" here which is not the case in other French places where they're named "cerf de virginie"). The swears "calisse" and "criss" may be conjugated as follow: "Je vais t'en calisser/crisser une! :rage: " which can translated to English by "I gonna hit you in a hard way"...
That's about it... hope it was somekind of clear :)
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

The lost Ninja wrote::oops:
I don't really understand very well your reaction here... What's wrong?
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

The Great Falcon wrote:
The lost Ninja wrote::oops:
I don't really understand very well your reaction here... What's wrong?
Absolutely nothing, it's just.......all this cursing....tss...tss..... ;)
Paw

Post by Paw »

The lost Ninja wrote:
Paw wrote: Does the following sentence make sense to you?
if can=pan, and s=z, it makes sense. Yes, indeed. It makes. :shhh:
Buka

Post by Buka »

Paw wrote:
The lost Ninja wrote:
Paw wrote: Does the following sentence make sense to you?
:lol: Very funny prowerb. How does it look in orirginal?
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

@bduddy and other native speakers: I would really appreciate any corrections whatsoever.. I consider myself english decent enough to feel confident, but I'm sure I make mistakes, just like anyone else. And I would like to improve my english further, so please, don't be gentle. :rofl:

And, somewhat topic related, how many languages do you speak? How many languages do you think you speak? Are you learning any? Etc etc..

I can say I speak Slovenian pretty good, thank you.:) I also speak Croatian and Serbian. I believe I'm understood in English and (at a level of a 4 year old), German. I understand a word or two in Japanese (arigato, Dragonball) and I would like to learn Spanish. :)

How about you?

Oh, and is there a soul who understands at least a word Slovene? No, not you LongBow. :hammer:
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I can speak Finnish and English (surprise), and a little bit of Swedish (that is mandatory in school in Finland when you turn 13).

I would like to be able to speak more languages, specially Italian :D I'll probably start to study French when I go to college. (in 1,5 years that is)
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Well Finnish as a native and English somehow well. Studied Swedish for 2,5 yeas but not so well :sweatdrop:, I would really like to be able to speak it as it is quite useful and it helps in getting a job (also possibly more salary :scratch: ). Also I took French but don't remind of that, I can read it somehow but making sentences is kinda hard.. I regret picking that language, though the language itself is nice but because our teacher is just plain bad.

Also can understand written Estonian as it's quite close to Finnish. I can too read (most, and if you don't know some letter it's probably some kind of s) Russian alphabet and after that can understand it somehow. Dozen words of Spanish, German and Italian but that's just nitpicking.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Welp, Finnish is my native language. I speak/write/read English well (although I have really been slacking here and doing some rookie mistakes all the time :P ). And I guess I can handle Swedish pretty well, too. I just don't remember a word of it since I haven't used it at all for the last two years. I also know the basics for German, but I haven't really used it either. I can read it pretty well though. That comes handy when I have to get some stuff from Germany. Then I kinda sort of can read Dutch and figure out some of the basic sentences and words. I also know some random stuff in Japanese. I guess I'll take some Japanese courses in the near future, that language is such interesting one, and should be useful in the future.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Buka

Post by Buka »

Well, I speak almost perfect just 2 languages - Ukrainian and Russian, but due to the fact that 40-60% of Ukrainians speak Russian it's almost impossible to reach perfect neither Ukrainian (which is my native and which I use) nor Russian (which I have to use on my job :headbang: ).
English speaking level is poor but I understand English films well and read English texts without dictionary. I also can read without problems Bielorussian (just very slow), and without big problems Polish, Serbian and Bulgarian texts. Other Slavic languages shouldn't be that difficult too so I think I'd understand "at least a word in Slovene" ;)
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Well, I can speak Hungarian (would be a wonder if I couldn't... :sweatdrop:), English and thanks to living close to Austria, I can also use German quite well. Slowly I'm thinking that I use English better than German, although I've got an ECL C accreditation from the latter one, and currently I don't have any kind of certification from English... Is it maybe because I used to speak with you in English? :cool2:
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars