The football (soccer) thread *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: The football (soccer) thread *spoiler*

Post by Trigger Happy »

I'm glad that at least the Czech2 had good evening yesterday. :bsmile:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I didn't watch it in TV but when I accidentaly switched channels just for few minutes I saw both goals :D. And then again just in time for Robbens penalty :D. Then I waited for shootout though. :) Congrats to chelsea, especially to Drogba and Čech.
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

I started to wonder, why do England, Scotland, Wales and N-Ireland have separate national teams instead of common team of United Kingdom?
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Because they are seperate countries, with their own language, history and culture.
Wikipedia wrote:The United Kingdom is a unitary state governed under a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary system, with its seat of government in the capital city of London. It is a country in its own right and consists of four countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. The latter three of these are devolved administrations, each with varying powers, based in their capital cities Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff respectively.
The most basic explination I could give is that the United Kingdom is a smaller, more controlling version of the European Union.

Also, the countries have always played seperatly in almost every sport. The only main exception is the Olympics. The first ever football international was Scotland vs England
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Okey, that clears it up. Didn't know that the parts were that independent.
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

GeneSuomi wrote:Okey, that clears it up. Didn't know that the parts were that independent.
For what it's worth, there are people that consider Cornwall to be another country (myself included) but it is officially part of England
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Martyn wrote:
GeneSuomi wrote:Okey, that clears it up. Didn't know that the parts were that independent.
For what it's worth, there are people that consider Cornwall to be another country (myself included) but it is officially part of England
Being from Devon, i'm happy with this...

Na I kid, but good explanation above. Well done England!!!
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Shocked to see russia go out, I thought they'd been the best team in the whole tournament so far
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

But unfortunately for them their shooter couldn't hit the target. :goal:

Also in the 1st match they weren't as great, but rather Czechs played in the 1st match awfully, local newspapers and public almost ate them alive, so they became a bit upset and determined to show to all, how wrong their judgements were. :taped: Unfortunately Polish team is the other victim.

I now wonder, if Netherlands will end today in the tournament. So far their play was biggest disappointment of the Euro for me, I thought they'll be on top. :ill:
cocney

Post by cocney »

Congratulations to Czech Republic, Greece, Germany and Portugal!
I am disappointed in Russians which were my favourites for medal but they sank a lot in last 2 games and I knew that Poland won't pass in quarterfinals :( . Poland coach was so bad and Greece had the best coach so far on tournament.
Netherlands is so BAD :mad: ! They had no idea yesterday and in previous games. I thought that they will be in semifinals but 0 points in group showed that they can not reach anything better now.
Portugal was brilliant yesterday. It is shame that they didn't score few more goals.
I hope that my Croatia will pass group and that Irish guys will help us :P !
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

cocney wrote:Portugal was brilliant yesterday.
Yeah. :scared: I hoped that when netherland took lead, they will accidentally score one more time and take undeserved victory. Much more suitable opponent than Portugal for Czech defence. :meditate:
cocney wrote:I hope that my Croatia will pass group and that Irish guys will help us :P !
I had fingers crossed but no chance. Like the always-little-angles of Barca - pushed into success by referees. :mad:

Now time to wish the best to Ukraine tonight. cheerleader:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I have to agree with ivo about referees, they somehow seem not fair to everybody....
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

That Spanish 'goal' yesterday was the worst piece of officiating I've seen in years
Flaming_Wuzzle
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Flaming_Wuzzle »

Martyn wrote:That Spanish 'goal' yesterday was the worst piece of officiating I've seen in years
I'm not entirely sure about that.

Iniesta wasn't offside when the ball was passed to him (or at least didn't look offside to me). Navas cannot necessarily be called offside either since the ball was passed laterally to him. Part of the offside rule requires that it be a forward pass, after all.

The only real point of contention is if Navas advancing into the area constitutes interfering with play, which seems like a bit of a grey area. There's an example of it in the Laws (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affeder ... 0_11_e.pdf page 108), but that may not cover Navas' movement.

Personally, I would take much more issue with Croatia not being awarded a penalty a minute or two later.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Iniesta was onside, yes, buy he brings the ball down with his arm.

Navas WAS offside when the ball was played to Iniesta, and he was obviously interfering with play, he scored
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It's far from the worst piece of officiating. I personally would not say Navas was offside - he only interfered with play AFTER someone else had received the ball, and taken it forward. As for the handball, well, I can't say I was watching closely but I never saw it!
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Surely he's interfering if him being offside initially enables him to be in position to score
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Neither I think, that the goal was from offside. But IMHO there should have been even two (not one) penalty kicks against Spain in 2nd half and nothing happened.
cocney

Post by cocney »

Referee was Wolfgang Stark, "the worst referee of Bundesliga", not far away. I knew that he will be bad :( .
There were 2 penaltys for Croatia :mad: (1 in first half on Mandzukić, and 1 in second half on Ćorluka which could easily score if there was no Busquets!) and 1 for Spain :bsmile: (Mandzukić hit Pique with elbow in second half).
I have good sight and I am concerned that goal wasn't scored form offside and Iniesta stopped the ball with his left shoulder :( .
Shame that Rakitić haven't scored with head but Casillas is the best keeper in the world, IMHO!
I think that Czech Republic and Greece (wish luck to them) which passed in Quarterfinals (sorry Ivo) are worser then Croatia. Croatia played great on this tournament and we should have passed. I think that no one will play so good like Croatia against Spain!

Go Ukraine! Beat thoose English guys and pass in Quarterfinals. :boxing:
I think that they have no chance but I hope
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

If it was his left shoulder, then it is not handball. ;)
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

it deffo hits his upper arm
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Trigger Happy wrote:Neither I think, that the goal was from offside. But IMHO there should have been even two (not one) penalty kicks against Spain in 2nd half and nothing happened.
Actually I've seen many refrees whistling shoulder as handplay in profi level in past. But I'm not sure by exact rule. :scratch:

BTW what a pity of the Ukraine. :meditate:
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

England - West-Germany 1966
England - Germany 2010
England - Ukraine 2012

Only this time it was against England >.<
Trigger Happy wrote:Better to see worse but truly yours than false. :bg:
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Yusei Fudo wrote:England - West-Germany 1966
England - Germany 2010
England - Ukraine 2012

Only this time it was against England >.<
That was NOT a goal for Ukraine
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

That was clearly in goal. IMHO it shows how huge mistake the 5th and 6th referees are - wasting of money for no purpose. I hope, that they'll remove them from rules ASAP (the discussion was on official schedule before start after the Euro already).
Fortunately by coincidence whole the action went from off-side, so it didn't affect the fairness, just balanced it back.