F1 -Season 2010 *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.

Who will win the 2010 drivers' championship?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Webber
43%
Alonso
28%
Hamilton
No votes
Vettel
25%
Button
5%

Total votes: 40
1nsane

F1 -Season 2010 *spoiler*

Post by 1nsane »

F1
The series where the cream of the cream collides creating a huge brick of cream that looks more like butter... Eww...

On a serious note, it's 2010, and the new season of F1, arguably the biggest motorsport series, is starting soon. So what would be better than hyping up the season now just so we can all get disappointed and bored during the first race!

Whereas during 2009 season there were nearly no driver changes, now we will see many of them thanks to the 3 extra teams. Also, the teams have changed a lot otherwise too. BMW and Toyota left as soon as the previous season finished, giving a chance for yet another two teams to try their luck with the masters. The new teams this year are Mercedes, Lotus, Campos, Virgin and Sauber.

Line Up

Code: Select all

Constructor || Engine
Drivers

McLaren || Mercedes
Jenson Button || Lewis Hamilton		

Mercedes || Mercedes
Michael Schumacher || Nico Rosberg

Red Bull || Renault
Sebastian Vettel || Mark Webber

Ferrari || Ferrari		
Felipe Massa || Fernando Alonso

Williams || Cosworth
Rubens Barrichello || Nico Hülkenberg

Renault || Renault
Robert Kubica || Vitaly Petrov

Force India || Mercedes
Adrian Sutil || Vitantonio Liuzzi

Toro Rosso || Ferrari
Sébastien Buemi || Jaime Alguesuari

Lotus || Cosworth		
Jarno Trulli || Heikki Kovalainen

Campos || Cosworth
Bruno Senna || Karun Chandok

Virgin || Cosworth
Timo Glock || Lucas di Grassi

(BMW) Sauber || Ferrari
Pedro de la Rosa || Kamui Kobayashi
2010 welcomes Canadian GP back. There have been some big changes in some of the tracks. Bahrain has been made longer with some extra turns after turn four. Silverstone will be changed to a more modern version. This includes the removal of Bridge corner and otherwise adding something new here and there. The race was supposed to be held in Donington, but right now the track seems to be just a mess. Not enough money, bad workforce, impossible dreams... You name it. Donington is now torn apart and (hopefully) being fixed back into the old shape. There have been talking about some changes for Abu Dhabi and Singapore layout.
This year we get to introduce yet another TilkeDrome, as the Korean GP will debut. The German GP is held in Hockenheim this year. The Japanese GP is held in Suzuka again.

2010 Calendar

Code: Select all

Race	Grand Prix 	Date
1	Bahrain GP 	14 March
2	Australian GP 	28 March
3	Malaysian GP 	4 April
4	Chinese GP 	18 April
5	Spanish GP 	9 May
6	Monaco GP 	16 May
7	Turkish GP 	30 May
8	Canadian GP 	13 June
9	European GP 	27 June
10	British GP	11 July
11	German GP 	25 July
12	Hungarian GP 	1 August
13	Belgian GP 	29 August
14	Italian GP 	12 September
15	Singapore GP 	26 September
16	Japanese GP 	3 October
17	Korean GP 	17 October
18	Abu Dhabi GP 	31 October
19	Brazilian GP 	14 November 
The duels
This year sparkles will fly, if nowhere else, atleast during the Singapore GP.
The current driver line up is more than interesting, even as Kimi Räikkönen left to try some gravel racing.
Jenson Button, the current champion, decided to take a great risk and leap from Brawn(Mercedes) to McLaren, and confront the young champ, Lewis Hamilton. The great fight of the two Britts is about to start, which one will be the number one in the end of the season?

The comeback of Michael Schumacher was massive, at the very least. 7 times world champion, the Stig, the master, the one, decided to comeback and rack up some more championships, since 7 weren't enough. Brawn himself has quite clearly said that Schumacher will be the no.1 driver of Mercedes. Can Schumi deliver what is expected of him? Can Nico Rosberg beat the odds and come up as the no.1 driver? Will Schumacher just fail miserably and hope he didn't try again?

At the same time these two teams will be in a fierce battle. The historic fight between team Germany and team England is starting, with both of them wanting to show out which one was the better team of the split.

Ferrari situation is far from easy. They have two of the best drivers of the whole line up in their team. But they are both wanting to be a champion. And when two hot blooded championship hungry men collide, anything could happen. Can Stefano Domenicali keep his drivers under control, or is the stallion just too strong for one man to handle?

The new skool vs. the old skool
There will definitely be a comparison between the new teams and the old teams. Have the new teams found out something from the rule books that the old teams didn't notice? Will the new teams top the old teams, or will they just fall back miserably and be a huge lump of lappers? Will we need a second series in F1 for the new teams?

The best of the new blood. There will also be a big fight between the new teams. Now they have a great chance of showing off their skills, but they have to show them against 3 other teams.

Other interesting drivers to follow
Kamui Kobayashi: He was brought up to Toyota for the last two races in 2009 and he delivered some excellent races and really showed his skills by doing some brave passes and defences, especially in Brazil. Will the same continue this season with Sauber, or will he be another Kamikaze racer?

Pedro de la Rosa: The test driver of McLaren for multiple years gets to show off his skills once again. But are the skills still there, or will he be completely shadowed out by his team mate Kobayashi?

Timo Glock: He decided to play it safe after Toyota withdraw, but ended up being in propably the best of the new teams. He has the skills, will he just have the passion to bring the new team even up to the podiums?

José María López: A serious blackbird of the season. He has raced in TC2000 in Argentina for 3 years. He haven't touched a single seater since 2006. Will this end up being a false pick for US F1? Or will he end up being better than many people expected?

Heikki Kovalainen: The only Finn in the series this year. He got dropped out of McLaren because of below the average performance. Many have kept this as his last chance to prove that he actually has some skills to drive in F1. Kovalainen has told that he really wants to show it too. But will the passion be enough? Or will the team fail him? Or will he fail the team?

Robert Kubica: Has had some horrible luck with the teams for the last years, now ending up standing on air because BMW left. He decided to go to Renault. But will the team be good enough? Can Kubica create miracles like Alonso did the last few years? The years are drawing dangerously close to end for Kubica too, if he doesn't get a good car soon. Or will he change to WRC too?

Team RBR: The definite contender for the championship with propably the steadiest and confident drivers of the whole series. Vettel - Webber combination seems to work well, the car seems to work well. But will the team be too blue eyed once again to give the equal opportunity for both of the drivers even during a fierce championship battle?

Important rule changes in a nutshell
-No refuelling.
-No KERS.
-Qualifying almost same as last year, just made to handle the extra 8 cars. It is proposed that the third group of racers will have to do their qualifying with the same tires as what they will start the race with.
-No wheel covers.
-Narrower front tyres.
-New points system. Now ten finishers will get points like this: 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1. (Or 25-20-15-10-8-6-5-3-2-1 if the proposed tweak won't go through.)

So, after a huge starter post, what are your expectations for the season? Who will be the champion? Who will you support? Will all the cars mysteriously disappear during the Bahrain GP? Will someone start a new controversy to ban every team on the field? Will Bernie decide to do some silly changes during the season? Will Mosley come and fight Todt for the FIA leadership on the grid of Monaco GP? Are my questions going too far of the topic? Will there be good food tomorrow?

Say your comments! Let's get the F1 ball rolling!

SEASON 2010 HERE WE COME!

(And sorry for the bad look of the charts, this place doesn't seem to handle tab too well...)
(The post will be updated as the season goes forward, and if I just remember to update it...)
Last edited by 1nsane on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
1nsane

Re: F1 -Season 2010

Post by 1nsane »

Already creating a new post, there have been two car launches already, Ferrari and Mercedes.

Ferrari
Mercedes
Also, a sneak peek on Williams

In other livery news, Renault might be going for the classic black+yellow combo.
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

McLaren revealed

Looks like mainly ugly cars this year, Merc and Ferrari ugly liveries and that McLaren's model isn't so great.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

new mclaren is so much ugly :D only nice thing is silver colour but that shark thing on motor looks stupid :lol: (but the ugliest new car was BMW F1.09 :roflmao: )
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Dan Hakulin wrote:(but the ugliest new car was BMW F1.09 :roflmao: )
I think very much the same, it was ugly, but at least not very effective... :D
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

And today was the date for the reveal of McLaren.

I have to say I like the current looks of the cars. Yes, the wings still look kinda dumb with the widths they currently have, but from the side these things are just beautiful. I can't say much about the Mercedes since it was pretty much 09 car painted with Merc silver.
But the McLaren and Ferrari. Especially the McLaren(Minus the shark wing thingie). That agressive drop on the sidepod is just seaxy.
Looks like everyone is going for the RBR copying route. Thanks Newey for developing pretty much every cars' base for 2010! :P
Also, say hello for the high and thin nose cones.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

IMHO the McLaren looks quite cool in comparison with Ferrari. (I'm Ferarri fan btw).

@ 1nsane: Great preview, man. :bg:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I think it was a stupid decision from Button to go to McLaren, I believe he will be overwhelmed by Hamilton... Can't really say about Schumacher, he says he is as fast as he used to be, but Rosberg is good driver too. It will be tight and interesting battle between these two :hiya:

Even if Räikkönen isn't there (obviously my favorite driver), it seems to be the most interesting season I have witnessed. Probably my favorite driver this season will be Rosberg, but I hope for success to Kubica, Kobayashi and Kovalainen too.

Btw, young Finnish driver Valtteri Bottas will be the test driver of Williams :yummy:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

@AleksiNir: :iagree: Button has not chance to beat Hamliton, he is much faster :D

and I´m also looking for Kobayashi´s results because he looked very promising in last two races :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I think all team duels in top teams will be very interesting this year - Massa vs Alonso and Webber vs Vettel too like duels in McLaren and Mercedes. :yummy:
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Meanwhile Kimi Räikkönen is cutting trees in Arctic Lapland Rally.. :P
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

This is gonna be strange season. I'm not sure which I dislike the most "woodeye" Hamilton, double-diffusor Button or Kimi-killer Alonso :D After kicking Räikkönen I don't want that Ferrari wins anything aaaaaaaand I don't like silver arrows as well.
Maybe Vettel should win a title. He speaks finnish :heyea:
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I'm having a hard time choosing who to support. I have been a huge fan of Fisichella since I started to watch F1 full time(1997-1998), so now the series feels kinda empty. :/

I'm hope that the championship goes for either Rosberg, Webber, Vettel or Massa. At the same time Ferrari shouldn't win the manufacturers' championship, so it's a kinda tricky situation with Massa for me. Or Force India could surprise and dominate... That's the team I'm going to support this season anyways. :P

And yes, I'm really waiting for this season myself thanks to all of these duels and fights. It feels like last season was just a little breather so that everything would be perfect for the climax.

But what I vote as being the dumbest move of the season is not the Button jumping to be slaughtered, but... USF1. Seriously. They had the time to create the car for over a year, since they were in pretty much automatically. They had the time to pick the best possible drivers. They even had a good lineup of promising young US drivers to show their skills. And now they come up with someone like Lopez, who isn't exactly promising... And their choices for the second seat didn't sound too promising either. (I can't remember them now though) If Lopez will be a fast driver, then I can't say anything else than that I was wrong, but to me he just sounds like a silly choice... Even if he was a pay driver.

@Ivo, thanks. ;)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

I believe Lopez did pretty well in WSbR. He sounds familiar..
Buka

Post by Buka »

This year will be difficult for me: Raikkonen (my favourite driver since 2003) isn't there anymore, McLaren (my favourite team since 1998) has that... British duet, which I don't like... Other nice guys - Rosberg (but he's teammate of someone-whos-name-you-can't-tell-like-in-Harry-Potter so I hope that he'll kick that red a*s), Kubica (who is in wrong team and probably with Petrov :headbang: ), and Sauber (but I don't believe in his team at all). I also think that Campos and USF1 will race only few races and Renault will go after the end of season.
I will better watch IRC (and maybe WRC if some channel will show it) and NASCAR this year.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

New day, new cars...

Renault
Sauber (Look at that nose)

Also, Petrov is the second driver for Renault.

Now if one of the teams just used the blue that Benetton used. :love:
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Sauber is okay, but that Renault looks like best one yet this year. Reminds of Jordan.. :bg:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I saw some other picture of new renault earlier today (about 11 o´clock) but this one looks quite nice :bg: I think it´s good idea to leave those white and orange stripes like they had last year :D

EDIT: how could I forget about that protectioned son of A. Charouz :flip: finally Czech test driver after few years (last was Janis at Jordan AFAIK).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad Dan on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buka

Post by Buka »

Renault's colors are just the best. :wow: But Petrov? I hope he'll be not that bad comparing with Kubica.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Those Renault colours remind me a bit of the 1980s Renault turbocars. Simply epic. :D Sauber is too much like the BMW was.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

new Renault is cute <3

but cuteness does not = pace :(
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

But that Renault is actually R29. The old model.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Whoops... too late to do anything now.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

The R30 will be published tomorrow. ;)
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

are you sure GRF? :D maybe the picture posted by me is just R29 but today they showed R30 :P