Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
1nsane

Re: Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Post by 1nsane »

ugh, the feeling when you come back home just to notice someone has touched your figures. And that they are randomly lying on the table. Thankfully nothing is lost, but repositioning these Figmas is such a pain.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

1nsane wrote:ugh, the feeling when you come back home just to notice someone has touched your figures. And that they are randomly lying on the table. Thankfully nothing is lost, but repositioning these Figmas is such a pain.
I can think of worse things than touching, sir. :misch:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Finally.. The pictures. :yummy:

"It's not like I like you or anything" Kuroneko :love: The one I had preordered last... Err... February I guess. And it finally came in August.

Azunyaan!~ This is the one that will break in parts if touched (Get it? Get it? No? Ok). But seriously, it really does drop some parts. I have to create a new strap for the guitar or something, since there was none in my package (eventhough there is one in the pictures of the packet...) I actually don't like how the holding bars of these Figmas attach to the back of the figure. The hair Kuroneko has limits the possibilities on different positions and this system doesn't really keep the figures on their places too well.

Lucchini!! Amazing, just amazing. It's such a great figure. ^^ Well okay, they all are. :D I was a bit afraid I couldn't get one of Lucchini since it's not the most familiar figure and the original series was aired in 2008, so there surely wouldn't be too many on stock anymore. But luckily there was!

Now all I really have to get is a 1/6 (or 1/5) figure of Holo. But those cost horribly much... But maybe some day soon.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Part two of my earlier posting in the artworks thread (and the main reason I wanted to do it). This one contains elements of influence. I blame you naughty people for that. ;)

bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Saw this in a parking lot at my college today...

...seriously? :doh:
I like short, simple signatures!
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

My friend made me watch Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan(don't know if anyone here ever watched it)

It's awesome! :D
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Time for an updated list, since it's been a while...:

* Lucky Star (now with added manga volumes 6, 7 and 8. I'm too lazy to order the previous ones online yet.)
* Haruhi Suzumiya (Also adding the spin-off series Haruhi-chan Suzumiya. I feel this adds so much to the world of our favourite brunette spazz. :D)
* Azumanga Daioh! (Nothing new of note.)
* Excel Saga (New to this list. Fantastically quirky, just my sort of comedy really.)
* Sgt. Frog (Small updates, with volume 21 of the manga now in possession. Although I lost one of my other ones...)
* Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure (Same as before. Nothing new here.)
* Bleach (I still maintain this as a good watch with plenty of moments of banality.)
* Cowboy Bebop (Same points as list one I'm afraid.)
* Black Lagoon (Haven't really progressed with this one at all. Not really a priority for me.)
* Cromartie High School (Again, not much to add here.)
* Ladies vs. Butlers (I have now mentioned this show twice. Nose bleed.)
* Elfen Lied (It's things like this that make me wonder what criteria my sister chooses these series for... :P )
* Ranma 1/2 (Really motoring on with this classic now. Good old fashioned silliness.)
* My Neighbour Totoro (DVD! Yay! Want one of those stuffed toys for the shelf...)
* Kiki's Delivery Service (DVD also! Finally got to see the ending and I stick by my review from earlier on.)
* Speed Racer (I actually got around to seeing more of it. Cheesy dialogue, but an early pioneer for awesomeness.)
* Astro Boy (Still don't own it, could be some time yet before I do.)

I also have some vague idea of a wish list for future purchases:

* The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (It's apparently licensed and released here, but no sign of it in the local store yet.)
* Squid Girl (No basis on why I pick this one. Ridiculous eyes and blue hair is a normal thing in Japan, right? Waiting on it's release next year.)
* I'm actually stuck for more additions to this list. Anyone?

I now also have a start on a list of "not really going to bother" stuff:

* Josie and the Pussycats in Japan (Also known as K-ON! Seriously, win a prize if you can convince me to really see it.)
* Neon Genesis Evangelist Lion (I know, deliberate title error. I was lent this box set for a month or so. Didn't even open it. Can't see me doing so in the future either.)
* Ghost in the Shell: Forever Alone Complex (This one's an anomoly. I actually watched the entire lot of this. But I was so far away from understanding anyway of it, I'm not watching it a second time to have a better idea.)

Again, I have no basis on whether my picks are true or not. Any further opinions definitely welcome.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

@Thunderstrucker, yeah I just finished watching that myself. That's quite amazing short show. :) Although the second... Well... "Season" got a bit too extreme.

@Doorslammer: Yep, Shinryaku! Ika Musume (err, Squid girl...) is a must get! First season has one of the cutest scenes ever happened in a history of men. And season 2 has twice as many of them! And the show is filled with good humor.

So yeah, the year is over and so is the winter season, which means it's a good time to give a short review of some of the best shows this year. It should be a good shortlist for people not wanting to guess what is good and what is not. ;)

First of all, a funny stat, I started watching 84 series' of 2011. I dropped 7 out of those, because of being horribly bad or boring.

But let's go!
Winter:
The winter season was quite bad, TBH. The better shows from 2010 winter continued for another 13 episodes. These shows were Toaru Majutsu no Index S2 and Bakuman. The good shows starting in 2011 were Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Gosick and "Kore wa Zombie Desuka?". Mitsudomoe also had a shorted season, being just 8 episodes long.

The second season of Index was sort of better, sort of worse than the first one, but it is still worth a watch if you have seen the first season. What would be a more interesting setup than science versus religion. Well, many, but still! Contains pretty basic fighting, but some of the characters are just lovable.

Bakuman. Yeah, this will turn many people away propably. The show is about two guys making a manga. (Yo dawg, I heard you like manga so we put manga in your manga so you can read manga while reading manga. We have to go... Deeper... Too many old jokes?) But because the series is about something like this, it is pretty interesting. It is certainly different from all of those generic fighting shows. The first season might drag a little but the second season (airing just now) certainly picks up the pace.

If one focused purely on sales charts, Puella Magi Madoka Magica would be easily the best anime of the year. The show got an insane responce. At the beginning everyone thought it was going to be just another Mahou Shoujo anime with cute little girls fighting even cuter enemies. But it was not to be. Right from the beginning the show would show some darker scenes. And then the heart stopper happened, which kickstarted the series. After that the show was just pure greatness with deep story and some creative fighting scenes.
The drawing style might turn some people off with its hand drawn feel. I for one wasn't a fan of it..

Kore wa Zombie Desuka and Mitsudomoe provided the comedy of the season. Kore wa is a more generic comedy, but still a good one at that. Mitsudomoe plays more with misunderstanding and more normal life stuff with the show following some elementary school kids who all have their own traits. It's a shame this got such few episodes since this was even funnier than the first season.

Spring:

After a bad winter, the good shows started. Nichijou, Hanasaku Iroha, Otome Youkai Zakuro, Dog Days, Astarotte no Omocha, The World God Only Knows S2, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, A Channel....

Well, there's too many to write about...

In general I could say that this was a dream period for people (like me) who like cat girls or any other *-mimis. Dog girls, cat girls, fox girls, succubis and many more. Dog Days and Astarotte no Omocha were the main providers of these. Both of the shows have a very nice drawing style and nicely colorful worlds. The story is not the worlds greatest in either of these, but I don't think that's even the point in these shows.

If you're going for the story you have to see Hanasaku Iroha, Otome Youkai Zakuro and Ano Hana. First two are propably for aimed at female viewers, but that's why there is the story. Hanasaku follows a girl who has to move to an inn and work there. She obviously hits many obstacles there and has to find a way to get past them. Oretachi is another old religion vs new science type of show, but this time more towards the spiritual way. And it's a foxgirl galore! I still haven't found any good figures of this show, me wants!
And Ano Hana is a sure tear jerker. The story is very touching as it follows a group of people who lost a friend when they were young and now they try to repay their debts for her.

Denpa has some of the best graphics of the year, The World God only knows follows the same great pattern as the first season.

A Channel -> see K-ON.

And Nichijou is the comedy pick of the year. Simple as that.

Summer:

more cat girls galore as some of the spring series' continued and new ones came. Nekogami Yaoyorozy, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Ro Kyu Bu, Yuru Yuri, Mayo Chiki, Idolm@ster, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni.

Ikoku Meiro no Croisee is the cutest one of the year. You'll be sure to roll on the floor wrenching because of the cuteness of that little girl. :D

Nekogami brings more comedy to the field by giving us these chibi'ish animal gods.

Idolm@ster is propably the series people have been waiting the most. The games have been highly popular and it was sure this was going to happen sooner or later. And the show provides what is requested. The show follows an idol management company which is starting from zero. Once again there will be some obstacles, mainly personal, which everyone has to tackle on.

The rest in short: Ro Kyu Bu is about a group of girls wanting to form a basketball team. Mayo Chiki is one of those traditional dating sim shows, but with some nice graphics and good characters. And yet another cat girl!

Yuru Yuri -> see K-On.

Winter:

It's not that good... Well, it sort of is, but still it sort of isn't.
Second season of Ika Musume is just pure gold.
C3 follows the great drawing style of Denpa Onna. It has a pretty nice setting and nice characters. And it brings back the twisted faces of Higurashi.
The second season of Working is yet another great comedy show, propably even better than the first one.
Mashiro-iro Symphony has a very nice story, although it is yet another harem anime. But he selects the right girl! And, you guessed it, cat girls.
Boky wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai also has a nice drawing style, almost like Denpa Onna, but not quite.

Overall the best original show of winter is propably Chihayafuru, which is about a girl who want's to become a karuta queen. It's a sort of card game where the competitors try to catch the right card as soon as they hear it. The show is aimed at women so obviously the story is better.

Sooo yeah... Top 15 to make an extreme shortlist.. (Reason in brackets)

1. Hanasaku Iroha (story)
2. Working!! (comedy)
3. Bakuman (story, idea)
4. Otome Youkai Zakuro (story, *-mimi)
5. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (story)
6. Ikoku Meiro no Croisee (the girl, the world)
7. Shinryaku!? Ika Musume (Comedy)
8. Softenni (Comedy, drawing)
9. Dog Days (*-mimi, drawing)
10. Idolm@ster (story)
11. Nichijou (comedy)
12. C3 (graphics)
13. Mayo Chiki (comedy)
14. Chihayafuru (story)
15. Baka to Test to Shoukanju Ni! (comedy)
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya now ordered through the local store. Had to repeat the name a few times though, nearly got brain damage myself trying to pronounce it...
1nsane wrote:A Channel -> see K-ON.
You'll have to do better than that.
1nsane wrote:Yuru Yuri -> see K-On.
OK, stop it. That's annoying. :mrgreen:
Thunderstrucker

1nsane wrote:@Thunderstrucker, yeah I just finished watching that myself. That's quite amazing short show. :) Although the second... Well... "Season" got a bit too extreme.
Well, if you remember this part from second "season":

This anime made me :rofl: a lot. I can watch this every day, no matter... a year later I will still laugh.

Thunderstrucker

Watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann :popcorn:

Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Found a shop in the city that will order the US DVDs of Sgt. Frog in for me. Stuff waiting for Madman to muck about for several years on it...
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

I've started currently to watch DeathNote (I haven't rly watched too much Animes yet) and I love it :)

Could you guys recommend some good animes to watch?
Trigger Happy wrote:Better to see worse but truly yours than false. :bg:
Thunderstrucker

Yusei Fudo wrote:I've started currently to watch DeathNote (I haven't rly watched too much Animes yet) and I love it :)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Just finished this one. It haves only 27 episodes, but it's worth it. Kind of my favorite Anime at least for now... :scratch:

1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yusei Fudo wrote:I've started currently to watch DeathNote (I haven't rly watched too much Animes yet) and I love it :)

Read my TL;DR posts on this and the previous page. Should have enough of material for a few months. Or years, depending on the pace.

BTW, I wrote a little "best of 2011" of anime to my blog, you read it here:
http://1nsane.net/2012/01/best-of-2011-anime/
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Would have thought the "Disappearance of..." DVD would show up by now. What fun... :/
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Probably a touch rude double posting, but it is pertinent, honest.

DVD turned up, but no one said anything. Only spotted it when I went in. Still, never mind, it's here now.

But wait, there's more!

4 Limited Edition box sets of Lucky Star are now here. Believe me, my sis is now green with envy on that one. Especially since they were local purchases... :D
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Hehe, those are good ones. :) And yeah, that sucks soccerballs(teehee) when they actually have the product but they never tell you they got it. Happened to me once with a cosplay costume. I waited for it for a month and when I asked where it was going they just said "oops, we forgot to deliver it, lol" (In a more formal way, obviously). I was a bit pissed at that point.

A Lucky Star box would be very nice to have. I just couldn't watch it if it was dubbed and we get so few shows in boxes here. Oh well...

Last weekend I went to Desucon Frostbite, the winter version of the best con-event we have in Finland. This was the first time they held Frostbite, so it was obviously a bit different. They meant this to be a place for the beginners to go to, since the summer one is just filled up with the "old people". But what do you know, all of the "old people" showed up once again. :D

While being there, I saw something totally cute:

This is literally the best cosplay of Holo I have seen. The costume is flawless with everything as in the series. And her face. :love: I hope she won the competition, since she had easily the best costume of the weekend. Oh, I just could have taken her home with me. :D :P

But yeah, otherwise the event just mainly streamed through by me lagging and looking at one spot. I decided to go with my rave-clothes this time, since they were the warmest "different" clothes I could keep. I don't have the suitable hair for the ones I had in summer, so I couldn't wear them this time.

I can't really remember anything from Sunday since I took the "stay awake the whole night at the location" card. But I already was pretty tired in Saturday, so this was a wrong choice. Other pictures and videos might follow soon.
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

My friend was going to the Frostbite, she had bought tickets a long time ago, but got sick just before it. She's kinda jelous of you now xD Like Really really really Jelly! :D
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Ohhh dear... :) Well, let's hope she can make it to the summer edition then. :)
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

that's the plan :D
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

And the news comes thick and fast in these here parts! A copy of season 1 and 2 of a certain invading amphibian is now within reach...

Kero!

I think I've done alright this week. :D
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

L.jpg
This is my drawing of L from Death Note, it could be better but IMO it's ok :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Looks the business, for sure.

As a note of interest (yes I know, been a few already), our local convention is on in a couple of weekends' time. Looking forward to it!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yusei Fudo wrote:that's the plan :D
And... Are you coming too? ;)

BTW, that's a nice drawing. I can't really compare it to anything since I have never actually seen an image of L from Death Note. But the lines are nicely made. ^^

As for the future conventions, I have been planning on going as either one of the old characters I have already cosplayed, Konata's father (If my friend just actually cosplays Konata...), or then I'll start working on a Daft Punk themed helmet.

But making the helmet will be a pain... I'm confident about it already. Accidentally stood awake the whole previous night thinking how I could actually make it. I have a motorcycle helmet already, so I could use it as a base, but it is an open model. This means I would have to make the lower part myself, but I have _no_ skills on that kind of molding and tweaking... It will be a nightmare to do.. :taped: And then the jacket and the trousers... Oh dear..

Or then I'll have to get interesting in an anime about samurais and ninjas so I could actually use the katanas I have...