Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
1nsane

Re: Anime/Manga/Figure/Otaku weirdness -thread

Post by 1nsane »

The MNZ wrote:And y no mechas? You don't like then? I'm curious, you said you don't like fighting animes, is that? (Once i watched CG i fell in love with mechas and watched 3 in a row, IS, Evangelion and TTGL what is the current anime i'm watching)
Yeah... Mechas just are something I don't really like at all. Like the most mecha I "allow" is the Infinite Stratos style where it's more open and sort of naturally agile.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Elit3noob

Post by Elit3noob »

Been a while since I came to this thread. First I'd like to thank 1nsane for telling me what
the anime with the girl with a band-aid on her right eye
is because I've been trying to find it for hours. Secondly I did plan at the end of last month that I was only going to watch one new anime, but over the past 30-odd days I have watched Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Black Rock Shooter, Hyouka, and To Love Ru :D. In addition I have also planned out what new animes that I am going to watch over the next few months;

1. Little Busters
2. To Heart
3. Sword Art Online
4. Needless
5. Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne
6. School Rumble
7. School Days
8. Hidan no Aria
9. Strawberry Panic
10. Accel World
11. Haiyoru! Nyaruko-san
12. High School DxD
13. Excel Saga
14. Ladies Versus Butlers
15. Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
16. Princess Lover! (uncensored)
17. Ultimate Girls

I have also started to read manga using an app on my iPod Touch. So far I have read about 5 ecchi mangas and halfway through KissXsis ^_^
haha tricked you ;P
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Rearrange the list again: Tengen Toppa is AWESOME also!

1 - Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
2 - TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN
3 - Puella Magi Madoka Magika
4 - IS: Infinite Stratos
5 - Mirai Nikki

Someone has some "intelectual animes" to sugest? I already have Steins;Gate, Gosick and Jormungand on this list.

BTW I'm quite facepalming here because some people call me a r****d just cuz i like CG over TTGL...
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

The MNZ wrote:Rearrange the list again: Tengen Toppa is AWESOME also!

2 - TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

BTW I'm quite facepalming here because some people call me a r****d just cuz i like CG over TTGL...
Well, I agree about the awesomeness of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and I personally think that your opinion is yours and nobody should be calling you anything because of it. ;) (Even though I never had patience to watch the second episode of Code Geass... :sweatdrop: )

About an "intelectual anime": I have Initial D in mind, but I think you already know it.
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Never heard of. Noted, thanks. I'm downloading Steins;Gate.

Clear Mind by Maasaki Endoh from YGO 5D's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Sx7B5WnDo
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Normally I'm not a fan of Sentai/Power Rangers series, but I just finished watching Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger, which is essentially a parody show, and it's really good - lots of funny parodies, and then tons of plot twists in the second half of the show. I don't want to say much more because many of the best moments are spoilers (so many spoilers that on TVTropes, everything about the biggest villain is spoilered out, even the name!) Still, if this looks or sounds interesting to you, you might want to check it out...

http://facedl.com/fvideo.php?f=ooqonauw ... er-opening
I like short, simple signatures!
Thunderstrucker

Does anyone know any website to learn Japanese? I've been on japaneseclass.jp, but I want to learn how to form sentences, not only meaning of words and how to write them.

BTW, I've heard that some schools in Japan have Portuguese classes. Is that true? I wish we had Japanese classes in our schools, as Japan is one of Brazil's strongest partners. :scratch:

bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Thunderstrucker wrote:Does anyone know any website to learn Japanese? I've been on japaneseclass.jp, but I want to learn how to form sentences, not only meaning of words and how to write them.

TW, I've heard that some schools in Japan have Portuguese classes. Is that true? I wish we had Japanese classes in our schools, as Japan is one of Brazil's strongest partners. :scratch:
I've found that http://www.reddit.com/r/learnjapanese often has links or topics about online resources. Also, I've heard that there are a lot of Japanese people in Brazil, so I'm sure there are schools that teach Japanese somewhere...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well, I'd say the best way to learn it is either by going to the classes or then getting a studying book which you study yourself. The internet resources I've stumbled upon have mostly been lacking. The good sites which would propably really teach something tend to require a subscription of somekind. I've personally been studying by using a studying book and reading it myself (Although very sloppily. :P) The good thing about these books is that they are made by teachers and made for teaching. And it helps to start the studying of a language by using your native language as the other side. It might leave some misunderstandings and translation errors if you started studying it japanese through english. (You know... Having to double translate and all).

But while you're searching for a good source, you might want to start studying hiragana and katagana (and kanji) by using the flashcard technique if you haven't already. It helps when you start actually studying the real thing. ;)
Thunderstrucker

bduddy wrote: Also, I've heard that there are a lot of Japanese people in Brazil, so I'm sure there are schools that teach Japanese somewhere...
Yeah, that's true. Brazil is the most populated country by Japanese people outside Japan, and Japan is one of the most populated countries by Brazilian people, only losing by USA, I guess. I have some "Nissei" friends, even though they don't speak Japanese, either because their parents don't or they never wanted to learn. I've never seen a Japanese school anywhere in my city, though. I believe that if there actually is a Japanese school here in Brazil, it must be somewhere around São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro, since those cities are the most populated by Japanese immigrants.

@1nsane: Thanks for the advice. I remember when I set my PS3 to Japanese, so I could play games in a little more difficult level. :P

The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Entering on the above discussion, i unlocked the IME on my computer and had some fun typing hiragana/katakana/kanji. It's cool, although they're quite useless since i don't know Japanese. So i'll ask Thunderstrucker: can you PM me some good sites to learn?

Now on thread: Either i must stop watching masterpieces or notice that i watched too few animes to build a top 5. 4 from the last 6 and 5 from the last 8 i watched made to it. I simply loved Gosick and didn't had the dragging problems 1nsane told me about, so it became one of my favourite animes. Steins;Gate was also pretty good. I'll guess only HotD deceived me up to now, i felt something missing on the anime. There's going to be a season 2 and i'll watch, maybe they solve those problems.

Now i'm watching Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited, almost finishing To Aru Majutsu no Index II and going to watch either Toradora! or Accel World. Railgun saga is also possible since the opening song got me. I also have Spice and Wolf on my computer and Suzumiya Haruhi (2009 version) that i'm watching also.

@1nsane/Doorslammer: where does the Endless Eight arc starts? I looked for some spoilers of that arc and guess it's better to skip it.

And, if anyone wants to know, this is my actual T5:
2 - Gosick
3 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
4 - To Aru Majutsu no Index
5 - Steins;Gate
BONUS: There's my AnimeList if anyone is interested on it. More animes to watch that watched. Sad. XD
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

According to AniDB, the endless eight starts from episode 12. It'd say... Watch the first, 3rd or 4th episode and the last ep from the endless eight. (So EPs 12, 14 or 15 and 19) The first and the last should be obvious story wise, but It was around 3-5 episodes that they started to notice something was wrong. So it was pretty interesting at that point. Yeah, it was a pain to watch that arc. :D I guess I even watched some episodes twice since I lost track of where I was...

And yeah, Gosick might have been good if I had watched it at some other time. But when I watched it as it came, it fell in a bit of a bad spot. But it isn't one of those memorable shows to me, except for the ending song.

Currently actively watching 27 series'. Luckily 7 of them are 3-5 minutes long per episode, so they are a good snack every now and then. But I soon have to start watching the shows or I'll fall behind. :D And hopefully I'll get the time to actually do a revise for my votes. I was supposed to make a 2012 in review, too, but there's just no time to do it. :/
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I actually consider it a great thing to watch. It was not as if everything was completely exact from episode to episode. The animating was new every time, so it did feel like a new episode anyway. Do watch it if you can.

Wai-Con was this weekend, so I have three special episodes of Azumanga Da-Show! to... umm, show.

Thunderstrucker

I started studying Japanese for real.

is there any Kanji for はじめまして? I'm not sure... :sweatdrop:

EDIT: I've found this:

英語ベーコン = Eigo Bacon (English language bacon) :rofl:

bduddy

Post by bduddy »

^ That looks good! No, I don't believe that kanji usually go with that.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

So, Desucon Frostbite was this weekend. As always, it was such a fun event, mostly thanks to the great group we have there. The group was a bit smaller than normally, just 4 people, because of when this event was held. But it was the core group, so it was ok. Talking and doing silly stuff the whole time. These cons are always the high points of the year. I'll upload an image we took together, showing just a very minor scratch of sillyness we had. We're planning on building on it for the next year. :D

And then this got stuck in my pocket somehow:

I literally don't have anymore room for these, but I just couldn't pass it by. :P
I also got a big Miku plushie, but I didn't take a picture of it (yet).
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

1nsane wrote:I also got a big Miku plushie, but I didn't take a picture of it (yet).
Where's your priorities man, geez... :evil:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well ok then. :P The battery of my camera died tactically earlier while taking the pictures.

Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Oh god, too cute!

Oh, Waicon 2013 Saturday cosplay video now up. Davo close-up camera activate!

The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Ok, i'm back with my addiction on futuristic animes. Watched Accel World and it got a 10/10 from my avaliation because IMO it reached spots i though a VRMMORPG anime would never reach, and now i'm going to watch some mecha series like Eureka Seven, Gundam SEED and Macross Frontier. God, mechas really addict me. XD Out of them, i have Toradora, Chuunibyou, and Suzumiya Haruhi. (and Persona 4/Fate Stay Night also, but that's for another time)

Someone going to watch on next two seasons Date a Live/Magical Suit Prism Nana/Hyperdimension Neptunia? And any suggestions toa dd to my list? You already know what kind of anime i like :P .
Thunderstrucker

1nsane wrote:
But while you're searching for a good source, you might want to start studying hiragana and katagana (and kanji) by using the flashcard technique if you haven't already. It helps when you start actually studying the real thing. ;)
What "flashcard technique" is that? I'm curious now. :scratch:
BTW, I am trying to find a Japanese learning book (hopefully a school book) to have a little boost with my progress. I am doing good, though. Had practised more and now I read Hiragana, Katakana and a few Kanji much faster now. :)

1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Thunderstrucker wrote: What "flashcard technique" is that? I'm curious now. :scratch:
Well the basic idea with the software is that it shows you a hiragana/katagana/kanji sign or a romanized version of it and you then try to answer it in your head or to paper. Then you show it and answer the machine if you got it right or not.

I personally used this software: http://ankisrs.net/ I can't remember from the top of my head if it had a download system built in where you can get all of the needed "cards". Anki has a 3 grade system on answering how easily you got it right, so it won't flash the easy cards that much. It makes it so much more efficient. I'm not sure but I think there should also be some packs which have full words and propably even some sentences.

It's cool to see you make so much progress. Maybe I should start studying it again too. :P

@The MNZ: I have Date A Live marked. Can't say anything about the others, I haven't planned anything past March yet.
Thunderstrucker

I bought a dictionary and one book that teaches you how to learn Japanese by reading Manga. I found a studying book, but it was "a little" too expensive.
Some friends of mine also started learning Japanese, but they are still learning Hiragana, and very slowly.
I personally think Katakana is easier to learn, because of GT5.

(It's damn hard to use my phone's keyboard to post on forums... I really hope I fix my computer soon, so I'll post here more often to show my progress. ;))

Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Thunderstrucker

Thunderstrucker wrote:Is there any Kanji for はじめまして? I'm not sure... :sweatdrop:
Actually, there is. 初めまして