F1 - Season 2012 *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.

Who will be the 2012 Driver's Champion?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Sebastian Vettel
35%
Mark Webber
No votes
Jenson Button
23%
Lewis Hamilton
3%
Fernando Alonso
23%
Felipe Massa
3%
Kimi Räikkönen
10%
Michael Schumacher
3%
Nico Rosberg
No votes
Other, who?
No votes

Total votes: 31
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: F1 - Season 2012 *spoiler*

Post by Trigger Happy »

To replace a baseball cap, another hat-symbol of the America? :roll: I think it was looking rather cheap try with all the logos. :shrug: But the awards were nicer than various santander-brand-shape etc awards on most new tracks. :)

And the track, in last few weeks just difference of colors in runoffs was showing, if the particular corner was america, india or korea (and or instanbul) completely indifferent stuff both layout and surroundings IMHO. :shrug:2 If 1nsane meant his post ironically, I agree with him. :mrgreen:
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Great race! :D Only thing missing from the opening ceremony was the over fly-by by B-52 or fighter jets :D Overall pretty good racing in the first laps, and then it turned bit boring towards the end. And UGH those red stripes on both sides of the track... Uglyyyyy...
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

The interview was probably worst I've ever seen. In the good old real press conference they used to do two rounds for winner and ask relevant questions about the race. Now what did Hamilton say? "Audience was amazing". That's it. Formula one deserves better than that. :talkth:
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

just one thing to say:
:P

I think this track relied too much on DRS and KERS, but the cars where hitting the limiters a bit too early on the straight, i remember that cars where a lot faster 10 years ago (V10 Engines, wonderful sounding engines, aren't they?), they could easily go past 300 kph at any track... i really hate what F1 turned out to be...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:To replace a baseball cap, another hat-symbol of the America? :roll: I think it was looking rather cheap try with all the logos. :shrug: But the awards were nicer than various santander-brand-shape etc awards on most new tracks. :)

And the track, in last few weeks just difference of colors in runoffs was showing, if the particular corner was america, india or korea (and or instanbul) completely indifferent stuff both layout and surroundings IMHO. :shrug:2 If 1nsane meant his post ironically, I agree with him. :mrgreen:
No, I really do like the track. Best track made by Tilke since Istanbul. It had clear segments, which had a reason to be there instead of places like India where it feels like they just went on a random generator mode and smashed some corners together.

I think the esses had an exaggerated amount of paint, and the inner side of the corners should have been grass instead, but otherwise it was ok. And I kinda like the "wide" lines they have, such as here they had them in red. It gives the track more modern feeling. Next they just have to paint those parts in extra slippery paint so getting there would be an instant spin. :P

And the track really felt this time like it belonged to where it was. Like the grass next to the track looked the same as the grass outside of the track. And otherwise too, it felt like it had the infrastructure and general feeling the country should have. And they didn't have any overly gimmicky buildings over there, like what we have in China, or Korea or Abu Daphi, etc...

Although now the calendar is starting to have the same problem as Nascar.. Too many "cookiecutter" tracks. As in 5,5km long, average speed tracks. The season would benefit from another full speed kind of track, but I'm afraid FIA's rules are preventing those. And it wouldn't need to be an old Hockenheim styled highway with some hay bales dropped on the road, but something that gives the teams a reason to use that special package two times a year.
And the same goes the another way. They could easily have another track as slow and full of corners as Monaco, so they could use that aero package a second time too.
With the new tracks they have the segments which should be driven with the Monza package, but they have combined them with segments which should have the Monaco package in. So it's just a big compromise on the setup and that's no fun.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

In that case congrats, that you can distinguish American grass & dirt from Korean, Indian or Turkish one. Because that's everything around the tracks except support roads, few parkings and stand constructions (out of some the mentioned gimmick stuff like a pedestrian bridge on Korean circuit). Actually Abu Dhabi is pretty much recognizable track with own mood and spirit (no matter if I like or dislike it layout or architecture around), but in case of the other mentioned tracks the only hint about location is the painting in runoffs. If TV would replace titles and logos of this GP and previous Indian GP, would not do close shots into crowd and they would repaint the runoffs by the respective colors, you'd never notice you're fooled and the USGP is actually hold in India and vice versa, I certainly would be, I believe. :mrgreen:

BTW good point about the tracks characteristics in end. :up:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Double post, may be something true on the idea, that Perez' weak score in remaining season after being confirmed in McL isn't so much lack of concentration etc, but in fact it's on a Slim's order a Perez' try of depriving the team from gaining the 5th place in constructors standing (and related cash bonus) to ensure his country-mate in the team for next season? Or is it just paranoid idea? :)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well, it might have been a slim possibility once the deal was made, but after Perez was taken out of the car for that one FP1 "for being sick" so Gutierrez can get a feel for the car, I'm quite sure he would do the exact opposite.
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Sensational race!!! Shame for Hulkenberg
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Wow, what a season ender that was! I was really hoping Alonso would get the title this year, but after a race like that, it doesn't really matter who got it. Before the first SC even the timing channel was just useless because of all the pitting and spinning. :D Congrats for Vettel.

The season overall was also propably the best I've seen. Almost all of the races managed to be interesting, only the few pacific races in the end being quite dull. It's a shame the reliability of McLaren was what it was, without all of the problems we might have seen a three-way fight for the title. On pure pace that car was propably the best one during the whole season.

Now it's all about waiting and hoping that Kovalainen gets the Caterham seat...
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

So glad Kimi got to the end :) nice to see him finish every lap!
Trigger Happy wrote:Better to see worse but truly yours than false. :bg:
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Yusei Fudo wrote:So glad Kimi got to the end :) nice to see him finish every lap!
he was actually lapped for the first time this season. He missed one lap
Hannu, who art in Finland, Räbinä be thy name. Sim racers come, races are won, at Agari, as at Xupong. Give us this day our version 1.06, and forgive us all our impatience, as we race those who challenge against us. Lead us not into boredom, but deliver us from work. For thine is the GeneRally, and the AI, and the race cars. Amen!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

you're right, guys, it was great race to watch. :bsmile:

IMHO:
:down: Alonso (if would be as dominant as Massa in last 3-4 races, he was the champion, he lost it by his own weakness no matter of vomiting proverbs about strength on twitter etc). :roll:

:up: thanks god Vettel's radio was out, so we were spared of his permanent whining. :goodvibes:
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

Martyn wrote:
Yusei Fudo wrote:So glad Kimi got to the end :) nice to see him finish every lap!
he was actually lapped for the first time this season. He missed one lap
oh :doh: that's sad D:
cocney

Post by cocney »

Congrats to Vettel and Button. Shame for Hulkenberg.

Red Bull: Adrian Newey saved their title once again with superior car after summer break.
Vettel - I think he had great season and great car. He showed that he is great driver (Abu Dhabi), but he sometimes react very nervously.
Webber- I expected more from him. He was again in shadow even he had 2 wins.

Ferrari
Alonso - HE had great season and he made some miracles with this car. Shame that he hasn't won this championship.
Massa - Great comeback and I am really happy to see him in good shape again. He could win some races.

McLaren: Way to many failures this season.
Hamilton - He could win the title if he had good car and more luck.
Button - I hoped to see him on this podium after Australia. Shame that he hasn't had more important role in championship.

Lotus Renault
Raikkonen - He was great in his COMEBACK season. He is incredible driver. He drove all laps in F1 this season. Hope to see him in F1 for more years.
Grosjean - Expected more from him and he disappointed me the most.

Sauber
Perez - He relaxed after it was announced that he will pass McLaren. I hope to see him on 1st place next season. Great potential and skills.
Kobayashi - I am so sad that he won't stay in Sauber. He had fine season and he had some good races. I hope to see him as a Lotus's second driver next season.

Force India
Hulkenberg - He surprised me well. I haven't expect that he will be so good in this season. He brought good things in Force India. He obviously like Brazil and Interlagos.
Di Resta - He had some good races. He has good potentials. Hope to see him on podium some day.

Mercedes: The biggest disappointment for me.
Rosberg - He had great start in season and then he disappeard in second part of season. He should win in next year.
Schumacher - Bad season for him. He was so unlucky in first part of the season and in the second part he dissapeard,

Toro Rosso: They took two young drivers and I like that politic. I expect better results for them in next season.

Williams
Maldonado - He is so young and fast on track. I am sure that he will fight for place in better teams in few years.
Senna - He hasn't had good season. He showed that he has some potentials but obviously not enough.

Caterham, Virgin and HRT bad as always.
Caterham has the best chances to win some points IMO.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I don't really think Vettel ever showed he was a great driver at Abu Dhabi - he showed himself off a lot better in Brazil, but still crashed into Senna and overtook Kobayashi twice under waved yellows (although one may have been a red-and-yellow slippery surface one).
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Heh, it's funny how British think Vettel passed under yellows because their channels made such a fuss out of it. Even Ferrari said that there was no controversy or anything. Our commentators didn't even notice it, or care about it (Salo being one of them). So far I've heard only Speed being the other channel even noticing it. The other situation I've seen was Vettel passing HRT under yellows but he was lapping at that point and the HRT was way off the line and slowed down. Vettel did have a bucket full of luck in that start crash though. Senna first bumped into Vettel's left side, only breaking the bodywork and denting the exhaust a little. Then he drives over the right rear wheel and Vettel's tyre doesn't even get a scratch, let alone the suspension.

Anyways, my longer post season review comes later...

Aaand... Bottas to Williams confirmed. Also, apparently HRT didn't close down their doors yet, as was afraid. But there might be quiet in the garage... If the team ends up showing up in Melbourne next year, under a name or another, the car will propably be as fast as a pedal car thanks too all the development that's been put into it this year.

Edit: for the yellow flag things, there is this pretty good video in the world of Youtubes. Although it does point a third case, which is a bit 50-50 situation since the Toro Rosso seems to clearly slow down. (And gahh, that's too long video to point out three passes...)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Vettel drove straight into Senna, not the other way around... Senna couldn't possibly have turned anywhere else!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Lukeno94 wrote:Vettel drove straight into Senna, not the other way around... Senna couldn't possibly have turned anywhere else!
Hm, that's an inconsistence to what our commentators have stated... :? :scratch:
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Well, watch the positioning of the cars. Senna is on the inside and Vettel passes around the outside, but clearly cuts in towards the kerb where Senna was. Senna could do absolutely nothing.
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

I agree too :/ I have to think that it was Vettel's fault.
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Trigger Happy wrote::up: thanks god Vettel's radio was out, so we were spared of his permanent whining. :goodvibes:
Rather that "whining" than the annoying a*s-licking from Domenicali. "Grande Alonso, grande! Grande Teflonso".
Aaaanywho! Great way to end a season, both of them deserved the championship. :)
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Fortunately Alonso didn't whine like a teen chick while listening the a*s-licking. BTW Horner says same too (always), so it's just linguistic difference between their a*s-lickings, you wouldn't be spared of it in any case (and weren't, as his radio by direction Horner->Vettel was OK and this a*s-licking was broadcasted too).

I'd prefer these off completely unless occasionally the radio is really somehow interesting. But why to listen all the same learned phrases after each gp?
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

It is now official: Vettel has not done anything wrong regarding the overtakes, he remains the 2012 World Champion.

BTW, rumours say a Suomi team is possible in the foreseenable future if Kovalainen will join Lotus. :D
Yusei Fudo

Post by Yusei Fudo »

Yes, that would be interesting :) Also Schumi said he'll continue as a test driver, didn't tell where though. Most likely in Merc, right?