What do you remember about RSC?

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
SammieVL

What do you remember about RSC?

Post by SammieVL »

Well, what do you?

I still remember being a stupid posting a super crappy track and nominating it for the track of the month myself, not only that, i even was late a few days.

Also i still remember my W Dirt Ring, wich looked ugly and no-one had a clue of how to drive it.

And Ouch 1 and 2 aswell. If anyone has it, i'd really like to have it (i know, thats something for the restored track forum).
Do you have/need useful GeneRally tips & tricks?

Well...

The Great Track Tips & Tricks Topic
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: What do you remember about RSC?

Post by Doorslammer »

I remember it being a total farce during it's last months.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

For the last year, pretty much, between the first crash and the final one it was often a tad unstable.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It was like, the most awesome place on the Internet for me. There were thousands of cars and tracks exclusive to that website, and it's a damn shame IMHO it had to go the way it did.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

RSC expanded way beyond what they could physically handle - or, at least, what the servers they used could - so it's not too surprising that it did fall down. It was a shame, as it was one of the biggest forums on the internet.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

It always seemed to me like they were really obsessed with GPL, given the age of the game (not that that's a bad thing!)... I wonder where all the GPL talk went? The other forums I've found are almost empty...
I like short, simple signatures!
Buka

Post by Buka »

bduddy wrote:I wonder where all the GPL talk went? The other forums I've found are almost empty...
SimRacing Mirror Zone, isn't it?
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I find the loss of :rsc: tragic, but I can better get over the loss of RSC than the loss of Megaupload. :worried: There are some good national & international racing sim forums which I know and I visit there regulary and it's easy to find these communities, but I reckon :rsc: is the most unique one of those, and even the best ones which are still alive can't and won't reach that level. Also not the new RSC.

At least, we're still able to get an idea how RSC looked like by Wayback Machine. ;)

bduddy wrote:It always seemed to me like they were really obsessed with GPL, given the age of the game (not that that's a bad thing!)... I wonder where all the GPL talk went? The other forums I've found are almost empty...
Off-topic: A racing driver started his career by participating in GPL championships.
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Nothing.

:D
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Multi-accounting, getting named and shamed by moderators on the car piracy list, numerous terribly s**t car and track packs I've made, numerous site crashes, everyone somehow thinking I was a Japanese-American dickgirl, and having the most alias changes in the history of ever.

I'm glad RSC died. I hated it back then. I hate it more now.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

The first few posts by me were some smiley filled randomages. I used to laugh at them after years. And then the weird squabble between a few members. Both of the sides were messaging at me in msn hating each sides in turn. And I was just facepalming. :D Then being part in many of the JEs back there.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

I remember getting banned as RafaScope on my first months. :lol: And get back creating a new account(Vasco Da Gama) and posting a lot of crap tracks.

I downloaded almost every car and track that the others members posted. And I lost everything when my notebook got problems in the motherboard...
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

1nsane wrote:The first few posts by me were some smiley filled randomages. I used to laugh at them after years. And then the weird squabble between a few members. Both of the sides were messaging at me in msn hating each sides in turn. And I was just facepalming. :D Then being part in many of the JEs back there.
Is that the situation involving me, or before me? xD
Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

The great communities LFS and GR had there. I loved the place.

And of course, the volatililty of the end-times.
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

I remember posting my first ever car pack on there, F1 CarPack.
The pack turned out to be one of my very most successful packs I've ever released, with 500-600 downloads :scared: It took VERY long since another car pack by me got that much downloads :mrgreen: Well, it contained 30 (almost) individual cars, I think it included F1 season 1993 and 1998, and 6 formula cars from the Gran Turismo 3 game. 13+11+6=30, yeah.
A pretty fresh start, however my car making has taken large steps forward since that. The models were good IMO, but it's more the physics side where I've got better. And the cars glitched a LOT by my recent standards xD Oh well.

Also I remember trying to run an F1 championship, with no login system for sure, and no permissions to use the tracks :sweatdrop: Well I didn't know they were needed, and cancelled the whole thing (fortunately, it would've been tough to run).

Sure the infamous downtimes and blackouts were the things that frustrated me way much... RSC being one of, if not the, most important websites for me back then :( It has got a really great community, personal, varied and even intelligent. And nearly every time I visited the GR forum there were a new track, or more seldom, a new car released. Too great :D

But fortunately, most of those have become present on here as well. If I missed something, it would be the oddly unique atmosphere and the vast community RSC had.
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

RSC felt like an self-proclaimed arcade country in the land of sim racers (who weren't particularly happy that around half of the sim forum activity was made by an "independent" subforum for an arcade game :P). The number of tutorials, resources, addons and great initiatives was clearly outstanding and it's a very bad thing they were all lost, however the :rsc: itself was pretty much pile of crap and thank God it's dead. Oh, and I was a total noob back then.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

By the time RSC collapsed I stopped caring for GR... for a while. :vsad:
Formerly ranksout and CityRing (after my only creation at RSC). The resident F1 Reject.
ChristopherT

Post by ChristopherT »

It was the Wild, Wild, West! :cool: The whole community revolved around a free Racing Simulation that 95% of the online simulation websites didn't even take seriously! :up: I still get that sense of community here! :mrgreen:

Thanks!

ChristopherT