F1 - Season 2013 *Spoilers*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.

Who will be the champion of 2013

Poll ended at Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Vettel
17%
Webber
3%
Alonso
27%
Massa
3%
Button
7%
Perez
No votes
Räikkönen
37%
Hamilton
3%
Grosjean
No votes
Other, who?
3%

Total votes: 30
DuklaLiberec

Re: F1 - Season 2013 *Spoilers*

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Looks quite interesting, although I would rather have Brazil to conclude the season and pity Mexico was dropped from the schedule. I am content with Austria and Russia replacing Korea and India though.

@Ivo: I have never been a fan of Magny-Cours, so therefore I can get over this.
cocney

Post by cocney »

Country has to pay to F1 for organizing the race, right? As France being in this rough and bad times, people would complain about it and it wouldn't pass IMO.

Maybe I used wrong grammar but I hope you'll understand.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well the biggest reason why Magny-Cours doesn't get the race is that it's in the middle of nowhere. Back then when it was in the calendar we heard constant complaining about how all the hotels were so far away and how the only road leading to the place was just some slow basic road so it would take forever to get there and nothing was close enough. I think they might have fixed the road issue with a new highway, but I guess it's still in the middle of nowhere. The track itself never was an issue, really.

But yeah, also as Cocney the funding was issue when they were trying to come back.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yeah, I meant not only interest of F1 to return, but also any interest on side of France (especially because IIRC the track always since Mitterrand had support from left, who are now holding the power after Sarkozy's end (who was pushing Paul Ricard instead for that reasons) and interest on side of FIA and nothing happened, not even rumours ...

Same stories about then A1 Ring were repeated few years ago too (being in middle of nowhere, with lack of hotels etc) and the track returns not because new developments in the area, but because what cocney says, B.E. found somebody to pay for it, the Red Bull boss himself, so I believe these ''problems'' of Magny Cours would fade away too with enough money from Renault/Total/FRA government or anybody else.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Austrian GP. :D

Shame there won't be a race in Mexico. I'm not too bothered by the loss of the Indian and Korean GP's though.

Now, to decide whether I should save to get tickets for the Australian GP or head to Singapore... hmm.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Just blinking in an idea I had in my mind several weeks ago, and it is probably going to be realized for the following season, upgrading the current F1 season threads, if you wish that so.

The main idea of GRIF Alternative F1 Championship is to rate each race the coolest and uncoolest stuffs happening at or next to the circuits. For taking out personal preferences, there will be a committee to give points to drivers, team crews and/or other members (like FIA, Pirelli, etc.) in both categories. Out of that, there will be short, joking reviews to each race, where we are going to hand out on top of the "main prizes" several wacky ones, too, connecting of course on the happenings of GPs, either on circuit, or next to them.

Currently it is two of us in the committee: 1nsane and myself, but best would be, if there'd be at least one, but rather two more of you in the team, to have a more biased result in our little championship. So if you would be interested in joining to the committee and don't mind to hand out ice creams and tomatoes (cool and uncool respectively) and other funny prizes to anyone in F1, then this is your place, just contact me in PM and I may tell you more.

Of course we are open to other ideas, so if you have any ideas we could have here in AltF1, just post them either here or by PM to me. (I would rather prefer the former one.)
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Wow, well this came from out of nowhere... The season finale will have double points given. Maybe next they should bring in points per lead laps, points for being in top 5, points for being in top 10. Points for passes, points for fastest lap, points for fastest pitstop, points for keeping it on track the whole race and not cutting corners.

Ah, fine. Bring in Chase.

Also, get ready for some testing in a week, as the teams head to Bahrain for some tyre tests. See it rain and sandstorm in Bahrain the whole testing session so Pirelli gets just no information out of the event once again. :D

And get ready for some bad jokes because of what was posted above by Herbal. :P
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Double points for last race is really stupid idea. FIA is one of the most contraproductive organizations in the world :D just see what have they done with rally. Idi :roll: ts :lol:.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

What I posted on Reddit
They're just ruining formula one bit by bit in recent years.

Double points what a terrible idea. One grand prix should not be more important than others, its a 19 race season, that's part of the challenge in winning a title.

High deg tyres causing drivers to not push after one lap is frustrating, but at least Pirelli have had enough and are looking to scrap them.

DRS has been a massive buzzkill in 2013, it wasn't the greatest thing in the world when it was bought in, but they keep on pushing it where it isnt needed, just look at Vettel in India. It should have been exciting to see him fight through the field to get back to the lead, but it wasn't because lap after lap he just waited until DRS and drove right past. The FIA added a second DRS zone to most tracks last year, it has become far too powerful.

Even if Vettel is driving off into the distance, there are 21 other drivers on track to provide an exciting race, but its not happening because these two factors. All that needs to happen is get within 1 second and you drive straight by. Where are the attempted overtakes, the defending of positions, just general wheel to wheel action.

Every time we see some wheel to wheel action, someone gets some pathetic penalty, we had this problem in 2008, but it went away with the 'driver steward', yet its come back. Want drivers to stop going off track? stop putting green tarmac at the track side, stick some grass there, even just a meter of two, that will stop them.

Now we're looking at things like this to spice up the championship. 4 years ago the current point system was bought in because there needed to be more emphasis on winning races (think of Bernie's medal proposal), but now there's too much emphasis on it because of a knee jerk reaction to the 2nd half of 2013.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The double points idea is just stupid. I do like the semi-fixed number idea, though - I would like to see Williams with a red 5, and Ferrari with 27/28 again.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Lukeno94 wrote:I do like the semi-fixed number idea, though - I would like to see Williams with a red 5, and Ferrari with 27/28 again.
Wasn't the idea that the number is fixed for the drivers, not the teams?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I also read somewhere they want to paint the numbers not on cars, but helmets (to avoid clash with teams wanting room on cars for sponsors). :-|
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

TuomoH wrote:Wasn't the idea that the number is fixed for the drivers, not the teams?
Yes, the drivers will pick them and they will use the same number regardless of the team. Although it would be interesting to know whether the champion could still use the number 1 for a year.
This system will be nice for now, but I can't wait for the moment when someone like Alonso, Räikkönen, Vettel retires and a random paydriver takes that number.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

1nsane wrote:Although it would be interesting to know whether the champion could still use the number 1 for a year.
Yes, it is reserved for the actual champion. I suppose there will be the same usage as in MotoGP: the actual champs may keep their numbers or they could switch to 1, if they are going to defend their title.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

It is decided: Sergio Perez is going to have a seat in Force India for 2014. Since there were not much space available in F1, I suppose, this was the very best option for him, thanks to Martin Whitmarsh's backing.

Ah and an other news: FIA is tendering for twelvth team from 2015 or 2016 onwards. read here
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

To make the rule about passing someone outside of track borders more vague, I mean clear, FIA has changed the ruling. While previously the rule stated the driver should get no advantage by using out of bounds areas, now they may get no "lasting" advantage.

Also, harsher penalties for the drivers if the team has an unsafe pit release. Now they'll result in a 10 second stop and go penalty instead of just drivethrough. And if the unsafe release happens during pracitise, the driver gets a 10 place grid penalty. Maybe they should start thinking what's causing the unsafe release. It's not the driver.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

And btw tomorrow also announcement of Ginassi's Indy team of line-up, which ''has been decided''. :scratch: