OffRoad Motor Sports *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
thegreatfalcon

OffRoad Motor Sports *spoiler*

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Topic about OffRoad Motor Sports, often just called "Rally". WRC, IRC, Canadian Rally Championship and other comments are welcomed.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: OffRoad Motor Sports

Post by Haruna »

Ken Block was actually doing pretty well in the Mexico Rally (WRC) until he binned it the second day...
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Haruna Say wrote:Ken Block was actually doing pretty well in the Mexico Rally (WRC) until he binned it the second day...
Yeah... Such a stupid mistake... I would not happened with an Impreza :rofl:
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Hirvonen was good too, didnt he place 6th in the second day?
The Great Falcon wrote:
Haruna Say wrote:Ken Block was actually doing pretty well in the Mexico Rally (WRC) until he binned it the second day...
Yeah... Such a stupid mistake... I would not happened with an Impreza :rofl:
Yeah... Ford crashed, but Subaru wouldnt :nod: Subarus bodykit had more downforce, maybe.
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

I can't wait for the s2000-spec cars to arrive in the WRC-series as the main class. Hopefully they will eat up a little of the gap between Loeb and the others.

Then again... I haven't followed WRC for a couple of years. It's partly because of the dominance, but mostly because the races have gotten too short and "easy".
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

I love s2000, one of my favourite cars, but it looks pretty ugly with the wagon body...
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I didn't see much rallies in real, but at most I was enjoying, when in end of the field was group of classics running in full pace (especially old furious little-engined Skodas are very funny to see - rear engine/RWD like 911). It was even funnier than the WRC in the leading group of cars. :flip:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

In IRC, Who drives a Subaru?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's not so hard to browse results at official site. ;)
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Ivo Porc wrote:It's not so hard to browse results at official site. ;)
Yeah... I had a look there without much results but now I know that there's only 3 drivers a Subaru... :(
Last edited by thegreatfalcon on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Went to Ypres last year, was great! Hopefully i'll be able to go this year as well :)
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: OffRoad Motor Sports *spoiler*

Post by Mad Dan »

hope that isn´t considered as bump since this is thread is dedicated to off-road motorsports discussion and I don´t want to make another of the same theme ;)

Anyone noticed that Juho Hanninen is IRC champion after Rally San Remo? It was really interesting rally because both Fiat and Peugeot made bigger update of their cars so they was as fast (or faster) as Skoda Motorsport cars. If they will race more in season 2011 it will be really good :D, now it´s something like Skoda Cup :D :D.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

The Dutch national series is one of the better national series in the world, I would say. Good drivers and great new WRC cars :)

Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

How I miss WRC cars in Czech Rallye Championship :( ...
yeah Dutch, Belgian and Irish championships are best in europe because of A8 cars :cool: I always watch their rallies at youtube :D
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I decided to say something about retirement of Colin McRae at 2005 Rally Australia. I think it fits better to this thread ;).

First thing I have to say is that Škoda Motorsport was ruled by Germans (VW) at that time. I know it is Czech team and Czech fans were really proud of it (and they still are :) ) but managers were Germans. It was more politic problem inside ŠM, for example Armin Schwarz 1st driver in 2005. He was so damn slow but he was still driver n°1. These days Škoda had Hirvonen who was much better than Schwarz (yes the same Hirvonen who is racing for Ford) but Germans in ŠM simply wanted to have German in "their" team :doh: .

VW said that they will keep Škoda in WRC as works team if they reached any succes. But VW already decided to retire after 2005 season and that they will sell ŠM to German-Austrian team Škoda Red Bull (and we all know how "succesful" they were in 2006). That means any succes would make it worse.

Also it was almost impossible to drive different setup of a car than Armin Scharz. He decided what is "best" and 2nd factory car was set in the same way :sick: .

Rumors said that McRae would drive for Škoda at Australia only if he gets seat for 2006 season, so it would be stupid for Germans if he made good rally.

Finally I´m getting to famous retiring in last service park in the whole rally :D.

Colin was unbeliviably fast during whole rally, seriously noone from fans of of ŠM thought that Colin would be on podium place. I remember that quite good. I watched that on eurosport with my dad.

Nothing of following was officialy confirmed but some good sources from czech part of Škoda Motorsport said that Martin Mühlmeier decided to retire Colin McRae. It would be simply too bad for VW and Germans in ŠM to reach a podium and retire from WRC after that. They "accidentaly" gave Colin bad clutch which was broken, when mechanics of ŠM noticed that and tried to replace it by new one it was too late.

Martin Mühlmeier said later: "It was big disapointment to lost best result ever so close to finish. Colin did good job in Britain and in Australia, but Armin (Schwarz) bring more points for team even at his last start.

Martin Mühlmeier později uvedl: "Přijít o nejlepší výsledek všech dob tak blízko cíli bylo opravdu velikým zklamáním. Colin pro nás odvedl skvělou práci v Británii i tady v Austrálii, Armin však získal i při svém posledním startu pro tým více bodů."

I hope you understood my čenglish :D. I don´t have problem with Germans as nation, I meant Germans in Škoda and Škoda Motorsport.

Also it seems that germans want to steal mechanical parts of Škoda Fabia S2000 and build their own VW Scirocco/Golf WRC :sick: . For that reason ŠM is not going to compete in IRC 2011 as much as in 2010.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

If that's true, and not sour grapes, then that ranks with me as being one of the most despicable things, along with Piquet being told to crash. However, from what I saw it was the mechanics themselves that made a hash of the change, which should've easily been completed in the time period...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Sad is, that it's really likely true, Luke. :weep: Thanks, Dan, for this great summary. :bg:
Dan Hakulín wrote:...
Also it was almost impossible to drive different setup of a car than Armin Scharz. He decided what is "best" and 2nd factory car was set in the same way :sick: .
Precisely, the young drivers weren't allowed to change the car setups (!) of their car to other than has Schwarz decided. Škoda bosses were not enough brave to deny the work with setups to McRae too, voila Fabia can strike podium. :lol:
Dan Hakulín wrote:VW said that they will keep Škoda in WRC as works team if they reached any succes. But VW already decided to retire after 2005 season and that they will sell ŠM to German-Austrian team Škoda Red Bull (and we all know how "succesful" they were in 2006). That means any succes would make it worse.
And you can guess, guys, who ended his racing career after end of the season - if you think Armin Schwarz, you're right. ''Surprisingly'' then he became boss the Red Bull team with their Fabia weaponry. What a coincidence. :hiya:

I hope, that now it is with no doubt for you, why Fabia S2000 is already dead project not only IMHO. :rage:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

If that's the case then I'm afraid that is true... I would have wanted to see that green and white skoda again, though. :vsad:

It's also surprising to see that Scharz was such a... dominatrix. No wonder it was always him who was atleast somewhere near the points.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

We'll see few times the works fabias, like on Monte Carlo AFAIK. ;) And then in hands of many privateers, which is maybe the best for the S2000 class.

But this behavior of VW quite scares me. When I know what happened in past with Fabia WRC, what now likely happens with its little sister and when take in consideration, that same people (Piech and other VW bosses) now decides about sport future of Porsche, which lost its independence and clearly cannot do things, which they would like to do and opposite ... no LMP1 or F1, but Cayenne in Dakar? WTF?
Lukeno94 wrote:... However, from what I saw it was the mechanics themselves that made a hash of the change, which should've easily been completed in the time period...
It was ''decisions'' of chief mechanic, who has bosses in the service too however. I looks like just a B plan made in panic. IMHO they counted, that they'll close the fabia chapter by another McRae's spectacular rollover (australian stages look optimal for expecting that scenario), but when he failed by still running and even on so good place, they had to act quickly - last service was last opportunity, so a theater play had to happen. :shrug:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

And I have to mention that Red Bull Škoda of 2006 season was only B plan. Originally it was even planned to make brand new Audi A3 WRC with inside of Škoda Fabia (and that wasn´t slow car, really not. For example also what P.G. Andersson showed at Rally Norway 2009, and if you compare results of Jan Kopecký in 2006 with Red Bull Škoda....). Well maybe it would be slow because of bad managers decision which made Gilles Panizzi end his awesome carreer :vsad: .

ŠM has good history with wins in lower classes of rally racing (Škoda Favorit won 2-LWRC in 1994 I think), but after VW bought Škoda in 90s it all came bad, Škoda Felicia Kit Car was a lot slower even if it was almost the same car as Favorit. Škoda Octavia WRC and Fabia WRC were ruined by bad decisions that germans made without any experience.

VW financial department is going to kill almost all from motorsport of VW manufacturers (Seat in WTCC isn´t factory team, Porsche was already spoken about, VW is not going to continue in Dakar maybe in WRC, Škoda is not going to continue in IRC, ....). In fact they support only Audi in Le Mans and VW which is for 85% going to race in WRC.

Škoda Motorsport has already/is going to make 1.6 turbo engine to fit Fabia S2000 and when that will happen, we will see VW in WRC. I will not be surprised, only sad. At least I belive that any Škoda Fabia S2000 is going to win Monte Carlo 2011 :) .

Talking about IRC, I want to mention Olivier Quesnel, boss of both Peugeot Sport and Citroen World Rally Team. He said this year that he don´t want to see any factory based team as ŠM in IRC. Something like: "If Škoda continues in IRC I will came with my red army (! 1968??) and Škoda is going to cease exist". The same Quesnel entried factory supported peugeots into Monte Carlo, Guy Wilks (Peugeot UK), Thierry Neuville (Peugeot Belgium), Bruno Magalhaes (Peugeot Portugal), Stephane Sarrazin, Bryan Bouffier and Petter Solberg. Škoda entered Kopecký, Hanninen, Voulioz, Loix and Mikkelsen. This is going to be awesome battle :hattip: . I only hope it won´t be swan song of IRC.

Here is provisional entry list of Rallye Monte Carlo 2011
I hope you found these background informations interesting ;).
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

A couple Fabia WRCs moved to NL (during 2007?). Was the beginning of the 'WRC era' in the Dutch championship (I think there are more WRC cars entering here than in the WRC...). Fabia was on-pace, but always broke down.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

:nod: Kuipers and Wevers bring them there ;). Interesting fact is that one of them is Fabia which McRae raced in 2005 :hide: :D. I was quite surprised when I discovered Lancers WRC in Dutch and Belgian rallys :wow:, and in specification as in 2002! I´m quite sure that few Citroen C4 WRC and Ford Focus WRC used in this WRC season will end in Belgium and Netherlands :shhh: .

But what do you guys think about what I wrote above?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Alonsomania wrote:A couple Fabia WRCs moved to NL (during 2007?). Was the beginning of the 'WRC era' in the Dutch championship (I think there are more WRC cars entering here than in the WRC...). Fabia was on-pace, but always broke down.
You're completely right, Alonsomania. IMHO fabia wasn't totally amazing car, but in the 2005 season the team leaders didn't intentionally use its best from the mentioned reasons - I don't say they could be champions without that or so, but few podiums were definitely in power of the car. And it's sad, similar behaviour is not sport, especially the things on the last run. :( I still remember McRae's face, when he was informed about being retired by failed change of part, which was not broken in fact. :D
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Dan Hakulín wrote::nod: Kuipers and Wevers bring them there ;). Interesting fact is that one of them is Fabia which McRae raced in 2005 :hide: :D. I was quite surprised when I discovered Lancers WRC in Dutch and Belgian rallys :wow:, and in specification as in 2002! I´m quite sure that few Citroen C4 WRC and Ford Focus WRC used in this WRC season will end in Belgium and Netherlands :shhh: .

But what do you guys think about what I wrote above?
There are two or three Focuses (last year spec!), one in Belgium, atleast three 2008 former works Imprezas, two Lancer 05s and a buttload of others plus a Fabia and Octavia here and there. Great series!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Last news from WRC which might be interesting for you alonsomania:)

Peter Van Merkstejin jr. is going to race in Citroen Junior Team with DS3 WRC, and his father Peter Van Merkstejin sr. is going to race in also factory supported DS3 WRC but in his own team ;). I know these really are not fastest Dutch racers but more WRC cars in field is good :D.