Games similar to GR

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
bduddy

Games similar to GR

Post by bduddy »

Presumably, everyone is here at this board because they like playing GeneRally, one of the best top-down racing games. So am I, of course, but even GR can sometimes get boring for me; I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are other top-down racing games available out there, though, some of which can quite good; as good as GR?! Maybe not, but each has its pros and cons...

MiniRacingOnline
Freeware, site: http://www.miniracingonline.com
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVwpuOulwj4

A game designed primarily to simulate F1; in fact, although there are many car models available, they all have the same physics approximating an F1 car. It features online play with up to 32 players, and bots that can be occasionally competitive as well. Unfortunately (for me, at least) most of the community is Spanish-speaking, but when racing it doesn't really matter. Is under active development; in fact, version 1.00 RC1 was just released today!

Turbo Sliders
Shareware, site: http://www.turbosliders.com (note: the most recent demo includes all of the features of the full game)
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7rl-eMVO0

Has a more diverse set of modes, and handling that might feel more familiar to GR players, but in general less of a "simulation" aspect. Online play with up to 20 players, or you can substitute bots that are pretty tough. Sadly I don't often find anyone playing online... Also popular within this game is Punaball, a form of car soccer/football

Slicks n' Slide
Shareware, site: http://www.digitalfootmark.com/?pr=slix
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tko5bnx3DFs

Arguably the inspiration for GR; pretty much an old-style version of our beloved game. The graphics and physics maybe aren't the same, but still fun to drive! You have to pay to get a track editor, but there are more than enough tracks out there...

These are three I've been playing... does anyone have any other suggestions? Please note that this is supposed to be about games at least sort of similar to GR, other games can go elsewhere...
I like short, simple signatures!
maclape

Re: Games similar to GR

Post by maclape »

Call me a traitor, but i'm here because i got bored of MRO. I (almost) saw the beginnings of that project (i started playing it in 2005). I retired in 2007 and suddenly, after some years, i remembered the good times and installed it again a few months ago. Now i'm a bit rusty but i can still fight against the new faces :cool2:

Regards!!
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

MRO looks like it sucks balls (combination of lag and general lack of good graphics/sound).

And be sure to include Thunderwheels, it is an increasingly good game (nearly uber-graphics!).
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Both MRO and TS have their own unique features.

Turbo Sliders
Things that MRO don't have is:
- Different attribute values to cars and terrains.
- Sliding/Powersliding/Drifting/Whatever (MRO is just gripping all the time)
- Easy-to-use Track Editor (You can make your own tiles too ;))
- Missile Battle, XBumpz, Punaball (Car football)

MiniRacingOnline
Things that TS don't have:
- Different AI can drive different cars selected by user
- 32 cars in one grid!!!
- AI lines in pit, pit stops and car settings such as downforce and gearing, traction and tire compounds, etc.
- AMAZING Weather effects, especially for rain weather.

I would like to see these two unique features from these games merge into one. That would be a TOTAL RACING ACTION!!!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Rendy wrote:Both MRO and TS have their own unique features.

Turbo Sliders
Things that MRO don't have is:
- Different attribute values to cars and terrains.
- Sliding/Powersliding/Drifting/Whatever (MRO is just gripping all the time)
- Easy-to-use Track Editor (You can make your own tiles too ;))
- Missile Battle, XBumpz, Punaball (Car football)

MiniRacingOnline
Things that TS don't have:
- Different AI can drive different cars selected by user
- 32 cars in one grid!!!
- AI lines in pit, pit stops and car settings such as downforce and gearing, traction and tire compounds, etc.
- AMAZING Weather effects, especially for rain weather.

I would like to see these two unique features from these games merge into one. That would be a TOTAL RACING ACTION!!!
We need to just make a Super-Duper-All-Features-Combined top-down racing game... with all of that, plus GeneRally's unique charm, customization, and physics (IMO the best of the lot), plus a community that speaks English, Spanish, Finnish, etc... As if getting GR updated wasn't hard enough already :headbang:
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Maxaxle wrote:"sucks balls"
Saying "balls" may be not allowed here... :roll:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Well why it's ''not allowed''? :really:
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

GRF wrote:Well why it's ''not allowed''? :really:
Its almost saying d*ck when you say balls. You know what balls I mean? :hide:
...... ಠ_ಠ
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Yeah I do. But he can also mean that it sucks you know regular balls. :D
And since it's a regular english word it should be allowed.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Paw

Post by Paw »

Well, some of tracks from TurboSliders look very similar to GR ones, like this one:

Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

GRF wrote:Yeah I do. But he can also mean that it sucks you know regular balls. :D
And since it's a regular english word it should be allowed.
You mean like "This sucks soccerballs!!!"? :sherlock: :flip:
To the turboslider picture:
It looks better than generally tracks! :D
...... ಠ_ಠ
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Hehe :D But still it should be allowed.

Sida79

New Star GP Online

Post by Sida79 »

I've been wanting for generally to 'come online' every year since I first encountered the game, a long time ago. In desperation
I've tried a few other online games of approximately that type and I figured some of you might want to try NSGP

As seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GHr0XN3xNQ

The game is not free but online play is...
http://download.newstargames.com/Install_NSGP.exe

We've a small championship too
http://www.newstargames.com/newstarforu ... hp?t=10853

It is definitely NOT generally quality-wise, can be buggy and everything but hey... it's online racing with small cars and that alone makes it fun for me :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Topics with duplicate themes merged. ;)
Sida79

Post by Sida79 »

Thanks mate ;)

Seems like those are really the most popular games of the type as they are the very same I've found and played. I've actually found a few more but couldn't remember their names for the life of me.

Slicks n' Slide - spent countless hours on this one practicing just the right slide into a curve to beat friends playing on the same keyboard. Time has not been gentle on this game now that I look back :) I remember it being freeware though?
MRO didn't play as smooth as I expected, both with some of the issues mentioned and with the fact that I really wanted something simple and relaxing I could get into right away, more bumpy and less sim-y :mrgreen: Getting around those problems made it seem fun enough but also felt 'heavy' at the same time, the F1 thematics kept me for a while.
Turbo Sliders - seemed ok but shareware and it was difficult to find someone to race at the time.

+1 on the GeneRally physics being awesome. I was really blown away by such great physics in a top-down game. It seems great to this day and back then I remember it seemed like pure sci-fi :mrgreen:
Shyguy1001

Post by Shyguy1001 »

I hope massive bumps aren't breaking the rules in this forum but.. couldn't help noticing this. I only just remembered I was a member of this forum after talking to mad dog on msn today in a bizzare set of circumstances, we needed an emergency commentator for my turbosliders race videos @ youtube.com/sliderstv

Anyway, that's all sorted now and the next video should be available for the classic 1:00 time.. probably seems like shameless advertising, but I think if you check it out you will be impressed ;) Bear in mind that all I have to work with is the raw game footage, all the graphics are hand done, its about 30HR's work per video and I get them done every week after the race sunday evening for a sunday afternoon release.

Oh and.. turbosliders isn't shareware, thats just a leftover never removed. Usually there is someone in the servers too ;)

Generally does for sure have the better physics, but turbosliders is just as fun. Also I could never get around the lack of a moving camera in GR, I only ever liked the little tracks.. although those new F1 tracks on TOM do look like it is probably easy enough to see the cars.

MRO btw.. not such a fan. Too hard to work, and the online doesn't even work for me, and the ai are complete idiots. :)

So yes.. enjoy the videos ;)
Joey Zyla

Post by Joey Zyla »

MiniRacingOnline is the best by far.
Shyguy1001

Post by Shyguy1001 »

No way.. far too laggy :D and buggy.. I would rank them

1. Turbosliders
2. GR
3. New Star GP
4. MRO
Joey Zyla

Post by Joey Zyla »

Shyguy1001 wrote:No way.. far too laggy :D and buggy.. I would rank them

1. Turbosliders
2. GR
3. New Star GP
4. MRO
1. MiniRacingOnline

---Earth's atmosphere---

2. GeneRally

---Sea level---

3. New Star GP
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I tested both the games in past and I didn't really get into them, because I found just 2 parodies of F1-focused sim racing with no additional idea or depth. So my genuine question is, did I miss something? :)

Only I found only Turbosliders being little bit interesting by driving, but fixed PoV on 90° made the experience very monotonous. Can it be changed in custom tracks?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I became really frustrated with MRO physics with using bots, those crashes are ridiculous. Though there is possibility of having many drivers together. It somehow miss funfactor for me :shrug:.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Found an interesting-looking top-down racer called "Little Racers". Available only for Xbox 360, though, which I don't have...

http://www.milkstonestudios.com/little-racers/
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

With the above posters have said, I think my love to MRO has faded completely. I mean, I want to play, but the AIs are... not right. The last time is when I race on a new Korean F1 track when I raced the F1 AIs, their movement after the start is really super duper odd. Makes me frown actually, I missed the good-ol MRO the first time I played it.

I still have my love to both TS and GR even though I'm not pretty active nowadays. I do plan on making new contents for these games, but I just have to find the right time, especially with me dealing with Pre-Final Exams, which I have to take it seriously (especially Math, everyone's nemesis).

Sadly, before this posting, I can't focus studying since my intention here is to download new GR stuffs. However, I do, will log in here and continue to post here, which applies to all the forum I'm active at beside playing SD Gundam G Wars (that game makes me an G Generation addict) and writing bits of my fan fiction. (I have to admit either I'm suffering a writer's block or I'm struggling to fit the storyline to my taste)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Shyguy1001

Post by Shyguy1001 »

Trigger Happy wrote:I tested both the games in past and I didn't really get into them, because I found just 2 parodies of F1-focused sim racing with no additional idea or depth. So my genuine question is, did I miss something? :)

Only I found only Turbosliders being little bit interesting by driving, but fixed PoV on 90° made the experience very monotonous. Can it be changed in custom tracks?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIx9NjKyBnI#t=7m31s

My season ending video from Season 4 of the Turbosliders.com F1 League.. demonstrates some of the camera effects I like to use :)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I found a game called "NFSF Seasons" by RacerBG. :yummy: Here is the lastest version.