Mafia forum game

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
puttz

Mafia forum game

Post by puttz »

I've seen this game on a couple of other forums, I thought perhaps we could try it here. Is anyone else familiar with the game Mafia? Basically, there are several different secret roles that players may have that I will explain below, and various phases of the game that will also be explained.

Mafia- These are the bad guys. Depending on the number of players, there can be between 2 and 4 Mafia members. These players as a group secretly kill off the other players one by one during each night phase. The Mafia win by having only Mafia-aligned players left alive.

Stalker- Is aligned with the Mafia, but that is not known to the actual Mafia. During the night phase, he may chose one player to "stalk", that is, he will find out what role that player is (sort of like an evil version of the cop). He is not required to do this. However, if the stalker stalks a Mafia, he is automatically killed. There is only 1 Stalker. The Stalker wins if only Mafia-aligned players remain.

Citizen- This role has no special ability. They are innocent civilians. They only get to nominate and vote on who to lynch during the day phase. Citizens win if all of the Mafia are killed (Mafia-aligned roles may still be alive for the citizens to win.)

Medic- The Medic has the opportunity to save a person from being killed by the Mafia once per round during the night phase. There is only 1 Medic. In this version, the Medic will not be allowed to save himself. The Medic is citizen aligned.

Detective- The detective gets a chance to investigate one player per round during the night phase to find out if they are members of the Mafia. There is only 1 Detective. The Detective is citizen aligned.

No players know the roles of the others at the beginning of the game (with the exception of all of the Mafia members knowing who the other Mafia are.) No player should share their role at any time during the game.

The phases:

Night Phase:
During the night phase, the Mafia choose by consensus 1 person to kill and must submit that choice via PM to the moderator (myself :P ). The Stalker chooses a person they wish to stalk via PM to the moderator. He will be informed of the role of the selected player. The Medic chooses a player he wishes to save via PM to the moderator. The Detective chooses a person they wish to investigate as a Mafia member via PM to the moderator, and will receive a yes or or no answer.

Day Phase:
The day phase is divided into several sub-phases:
The discovery phase- During this phase, the moderator narrates what resulted during the previous night, including which players were killed, if any lurkers were seen at a person's house (Could indicate the Medic, Detective, or Stalker targeted them), and if the Detective found any leads.
The nomination phase- In this phase, players post their nomination (you may only make 1) for lynching and their reasons why. Accused players may make a defense for themselves.
The voting phase- In this phase, players vote via PM to the moderator for who they wish to be lynched.
The lynching phase- The player with the most lynching votes is killed off.

Ideally a full night/day should take less than a week.

Sound intriguing? Then, simply post that you wish to play in this thread. After enough players join (I'd like to get at least 15 if possible), I will start the game by sending out roles randomly to all players, inform all player of the number of Mafia in the game, and declare the first night phase begun. After a certain length of time, or once all roles have responded, I will end the night phase by narrating the discovery phase. Nomination and defense then begins for a pre-specified amount of time, after which voting will take place. Once all votes are cast (or a couple of days pass), the lynching will take place. Then we will start again at the night phase. This will continue until either all the Mafia are killed (in which case the Citizens, Detective, and Medic win) , or only Mafia-aligned roles are left alive (the Mafia and Stalker win). If you are killed, you may not post anything relevant to game play in the thread (you may make an "oh darn, I'm dead" type post if you wish, but that should be the last communication you make about the game until the current game ends.)

Player list:
bduddy Medic
Areen Citizen
DuklaLiberec Mafia
RobertRacer99 Detective
Herbal Citizen
FRUKIScze Stalker
Rendy Mafia
The Mafia wins!
Last edited by puttz on Thu May 08, 2014 2:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
bduddy

Re: Mafia forum game

Post by bduddy »

I'd be interested! A word of warning, though: this can be really tough for new players (I've played a couple times...) Maybe read up more on how to play if you're in any way not sure.
I like short, simple signatures!
Areen

Post by Areen »

I'm interested in playing.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

When i saw a thread name, i thought, that you are talking about Mafia: The city of lost heaven :D
Most popular czech game. (Arma is popular too)
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I'm in, for the heck of it :mrgreen:
puttz

Post by puttz »

Okay, that's 3 so far. I need at least 10 to be able to start, 15 or more would be ideal.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Ok, I will play it too.:)

#seems_legit
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

Okay. That makes 4 :P Do we have 6 more brave souls willing to take part?
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

If there wouldn't be enough people, I could join, too. ^^
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I can join this too, because we were playing something different in school. I'm in
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Maybe I should join this one so I can have a full understanding of this game. I have an interests of forum games now btw :)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
puttz

Post by puttz »

Three more? ;) If we reach 10, I'll wait a few more days to see if anyone else would want to join before I send out roles and start the first night phase.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

:bump: :anyone: Still need 3 more.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
marass

Post by marass »

Sorry, it seems to difficult for me.
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
puttz

Post by puttz »

Any more? If we don't get any more soon, I may just do the game with one Mafia so that we can at least play :)
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Puttz, I think when, before the month will end and when nobody will join the game, we will start the game with only 7 players. OK?
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

That's fine by me. Be sure to sign up if you are interested, I can't add people once it begins.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I think two mafia out of seven is fine, IIRC that's a pretty common setup on some forums.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Any more takers? If not, I'll start the game late tomorrow with 7 people, 2 Mafia, 2 citizens, and 1 of everything else.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

I'm sending out roles now, and one other note: I have decided to remove the automatic death of the Stalker if he stalks the Mafia since we have so few players. Roles were determined by inputting the list of names into Random.org and putting the order that it gave me into a list of roles.

It was a dark night in the town. Darker than usual. And in that dark night, the citizens of the town would learn that something sinister had begun to appear in their little, quiet town. The Mafia had arrived, and some of the familiar citizens had been swayed over to them. Whether by bribes, or threats, or just sheer evil intent, we may never know. Panic and mass paranoia will soon ensue, but for now the citizens enjoy their last peaceful sleep for a long time to come... (cue dark, dramatic music :? )

It is now the first night phase. You will have received a PM with your role and details on how to play the role. Remember, reveal to no one what your role is (exception is the Mafia members, who know that each other are the Mafia). Roles who have an active night role, PM me your decision on who to kill, stalk, save, or investigate depending on which role you have. Good luck and have fun, everyone. Once all of the roles have messaged me with their decisions, I will narrate the night's events and begin the day phase.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Is posting at night allowed? And is there a time limit for the phases? You know how stuff here can drag sometimes...
puttz

Post by puttz »

There may be a small amount of discussion during the night phase, but nothing pertaining to game play as it continues to the next round. So, for example, you can't give your reasoning for why you do/do not think someone should be lynched, or suspicions about role alignments, etc. You can talk about the events of the previous day or the person that died can give their "death letter." And of course, general rule questions or general game chatter are allowed, but nothing that would potentially affect the play of the game itself. And anyway, it's probaboy not wise to voice your suspicions of the Mafia lest they kill you.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I hope I won't die this night :scared:
Am I cheating on you? Or not? Or Yes? Or not? Of course YES! Or not?
puttz

Post by puttz »

The sun rises on a new day, but it was quickly to become a very bad day for the inhabitants of our sleepy little town. As the citizens awoke, something seemed amiss. A door of a local house had been jimmied open during the night, and broken into. Many sets of footsteps were found outside the house of another citizen. But most sinister of all was the body of a young man, by the name of FRUKIScze, found tied to an electric wire that ran over his house. He had been electrocuted... intentionally. The police were called in to take a look around. They looked into his house and found a journal. In it, he had written something mentioning the Mafia. He said that he had heard rumors that they were coming, and considered joining them, but wanted to snoop around first to see if these rumors were true. This disturbed the local population, but no evidence was found that he was actually part of the Mafia. They then concluded that he must have been a Stalker. However, this revelation that the Mafia had indeed arrived in the town filled the citizens with panic, and a mad witch hunt was about to ensue...

FRUKIScze (the Stalker), you are now dead. You may make a "death letter" as your last post during this game. Everyone else, it is now the first day phase. State who you think should be lynched and why. After two or three days, the nominees will be voted on via PM, and the one with the most votes will be killed.

By the way, feel free to have fun engaging in some role playing throughout the game, whether it be during your lynching nominations playing the part of a hysterical citizen (or cool headed, or whatever you wish), when you PM me for your night role, or when you make your final post after dying. Also, players that are dead may engage in the casual chatter during the night phase if they wish as the main thread should have no bearing on gameplay during the night. During the day, you should not post. After all, dead men tell no tales. :hang:
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

As everybody knows, i was the stronger player here :p So that's why they killed me. Soo... Mafia members must be some guys, who have a lot of EXPERIENCE! (You surely know, for who am I pointing to ;) )