Apex Racing League: We're making a new top-down racing game

Here you can discuss other GeneRally-like projects.
Lorenzo

Re: Apex Racing League: We're making a new top-down racing g

Post by Lorenzo »

I don't like these kerbs, but apart from that everything looks ok. I'd love to see at least one high downforce car in the game, these formulas from the video slide a bit too much for my taste.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Talk about cars, will there be touring cars and grand tourers too? Which cars in particular would you prefer to represent both classes? (super touring cars for the tourers? Modern GT3 or GT1 for grand tourers?)
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Let's wait for a demo version to try it. Then talk about cars/tracks.
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

I agree with Gzehoo. ;) +1 mate. :P

For me it looks fantastic! :>
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

I am waiting too.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
blastawaythewall

Post by blastawaythewall »

Wow thanks for posting one of the new videos here!

We're preparing a Kickstarter campaign indeed, I wanted to wait on this news because we're also preparing a surprise for you that's not ready yet, but we expect to have it soon.

@Buka Totally get that mate as I was looking forward to GR2 very much as well, however I've backed some projects that I'm very happy with, particularly Obduction and Yooka Laylee. We're a good team and my brother's pretty ruthless so with Apex you can be sure of a release, but a successful campaign will certainly make it quicker :up: It'd be tremendous if you can join us, but even just sharing it would be a very generous gest and I'd send you a warm virtual hug.

@Lorenzo Coming from a car master we surely pay attention to your thoughts mate. These are 1970s single seaters which were a bit drifty, but modern single seaters will drive like slot cars! There was a Leyton House that won or was nominated for car of the month some time ago. It'll be similar to that, perhaps not that crazy fast because wheel to wheel becomes quite difficult. About kerbs, what are your thoughts here? We can try anything... even sausage kerbs.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Everyone interested, after watching thsese teaser videos and images, should back the kickstarter project. It is a win-win result.

Top job. :bg: Congratz to the team behind the game.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

@blastawaytheball
I do like the overall look and the scale and proportions of objects, it actually does look like pushed GR, in a good way, but kerbs of this width (pretty much equal to car's width) are striking, not in a good way ;) they quite don't really fit there to me, giving too "candy" look. I suppose I'd like it more if they were just a bit thinner, or even better, adjustable in some sort of Track Editor - judging by the simplicity of tracks' components (kudos to you for that) I suppose that adding such tool sooner or later might be a natural way of developing the game?
blastawaythewall

@Black Rebel Thanks mate!

@Lorenzo I'm glad that in general you like the looks, means a lot. Kerbs are fun to ride so we probably we made them a bit too big. I think it could be nice to have different types of kerbs as well. In real tracks they vary a lot. A track editor is the dream, we have some ideas and hopefully we'll work on it in the course of next year.
blastawaythewall

The campaign has just gone live! It's here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... nav_search

Take a look and tell us what you think! This game's for you guys, so if you back it that's awesome, but if not, you're still helping a lot if you can simply share it.

Now let's see if we can get a little boost from someone in the press...
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

To be honest - have you ever though what will happen if Kickstarter campaign fails?

I don't wish you bad, I hope I'll find some ca$h for that, but... do you have "plan B" in case of Kickstarter?
You're aiming for 65k (3x more than GR2 team), at this moment there is over 1000$... I want to believe it won't fail...
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
Buka

Post by Buka »

Gzehoo wrote:You're aiming for 65k (3x more than GR2 team)
Those aren't real dollars, just Canadians. :D So it's only twice as much as GR2 wanted. I wish you good luck, Mastretta brothers! BTW, weren't you from Mexico?
blastawaythewall

@Gzehoo Well, it'd simply mean the concept wasn't catchy enough. We depend on the game being shared, and the press. But the campaign is built around what we need to finish it with all the features we feel it deserves. What would we do? Redraw the scope I guess...

But let's see. There's a long way to go and lots of messages to send!

@Buka LOL I know. Thanks mate, and congrats again. Take a look at that link in the birthday thread! We're from Mexico but based in Vancouver now.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Maybe the amount is high, but at least you started the Kickstarter campaign with a very good base product, so if you work on the promotion, and you reach the potential "customers" it may work.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

$65,000 is a realistic amount for 4 people to spend several months to a year making a game in Canada. If the KS fails, then, oh well, but at least no one loses their money. It's nice to see a project actually give a realistic target for what it'll take to make the game, rather than just make up an achievable-looking number and then just hope things work out.
Last edited by bduddy on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like short, simple signatures!
puttz

Post by puttz »

That's a pretty high goal, I wish you the best of luck in reaching it. I'm afraid that it won't get there, though. :vsad:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Best of luck, guys!

blastawaythewall

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. :up:

There is some press activity lined up, we'll see.

Still working on that small surprise...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Good luck, guys! :)

Is a Formula Truck/FIA ETRC-like model somewhere on your to-do list?

Other question about cars, what about more models on grid with same physic to choose from (2-3 of rallycross car models with equal performance etc)? Either made by you or as an option for addons. I'd like it more than liveries/colors. :yummy:
blastawaythewall

Hey Trigger, sorry for taking this long to reply mate.

YES! Can't wait to build those. I really like their looks and should be good fun with slow bouncy physics. Brazilian or European style?

There will be different cars in every class, all with similar physics but small variations in acceleration, top speed and handling.

As you know the campaign hasn't gained traction so far and we only have a couple of cards left. I believe they're good cards but we'll see. This has been quite the rough experience but a necessary one and it's up to us to make it useful. We will continue to fund it and develop it ourselves if the campaign ends unsuccessfully. We'll see. One thing at a time...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Great news! :bg:

I like the way how European regulations keep the car proportions closer to common road trucks (because the cars are closer to road-legal trucks), so the cars are more elephant-like epic. :yummy: On the other hand the Brazilian regulations bring more options with aero features etc, which promises more fun for model maker (although European rules can do a nice car too, this year update of Buggyra Fat Fox truck is a statue on wheels :shock: ). In the end I'd probably prefer to pick up pros of each class and to mix that into one class with two model variants, one with cab behind engine and one with over engine. :yummy:

Personally, in relation to your family background (experience with business, planning a long term efforts, distribution of sources /time, money/ etc.), I have no doubts you guys are capable to finish this project in any case and a kickstarter failure would merely postpone it. I'd like the rare fleet, only still waiting for my wage. :D
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

It is good to know the project will go on no matter what. The game is looking really well, so don´t let anythyng take your energy off. It is by far the best news for our community in a long time.
K5054

Post by K5054 »

Guys! I wish you good luck with the project! The cars models as well as track look very promising, I can't wait for the next stages of the game's development. Would you implement some race tactics, for examle tyre types and tweakable amount of fuel? That would deepen the gameplay and make future championships much more interesting.

PS Can I ask for mid-60's formula :notme: ?
blastawaythewall

So after seeing that there was no point in keeping the campaign alive we decided to cancel it. Fortunately we are able to continue to work on the project in our free time as we have done thus far. At the moment we're discussing how to adjust the scope of the game in order to have a finished version as soon as possible. We won't compromise quality on any front but some features will need to wait. There are other adjustments that are not related to scope but a reaction to all the feedback we received. The looks will change a bit, and generally look less 'realistic'. We discussed lots of things and after a small break we're now back at work.

@Trigger Happy thanks for the kind words mate. Have you tried the Formula Trucks sim?

@K5054 thanks mate, not sure about race tactics, I think some sort of basic set up adjustments could work well and tyre types would be part of that. I'd like to see some racing and go from there.
Mid-60's formulas will be there! We had a basic mock up and it's nice because the suspension moves a lot and the car is bouncy without a lot of grip so that's a type of car that suits top-down racing very well. You tend to have close racing.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Wait, so the game will include car setups too? i.e. Change gearing settings, wing adjustment, etc.