Apex Racing League: We're making a new top-down racing game

Here you can discuss other GeneRally-like projects.
Rendy

Re: Apex Racing League: We're making a new top-down racing g

Post by Rendy »

Count me in too for the Alpha! It's really looking good!

And the Group C car looks nice!
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
blastawaythewall

Post by blastawaythewall »

Still some way to go for an alpha or demo, but you'll be the first to know of course ;)
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Gratz and thanks to the team behind this game. It looks SUPERB! :bg: :bg: :bg:

It would be AMAZING if you could add some features planned for Generally 2 as day/night transitions, dynamic weather, etc.

That, with a good amount of cars on track, and editable content, would make our dreams come true!
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: We're making a new top-down racing game

Post by Black Rebel »

*NOTE: Sorry for double posting.
blastawaythewall wrote:First gameplay video is here: https://youtu.be/HfqSS6egijI
Like a lot the zoom effect. Closer when the car slow downs, far when you accelerate or at top speed.

Really nice. :bg:
blastawaythewall

@Black Rebel Thanks mate, glad you liked the camera. We'll do our best to include our dream features as GR players, maybe not all of them will be available in the beginning but they'll get built little by little.

We're close to finishing an asphalt prototype track which will help us know how we're doing in graphic performance. It'll be a bit too crowded with objects, so if it runs well there it will be a very good sign.

We had an idea for a livery editor and finally got it up and running. Each livery will have main color, secondary and highlight, and you can assign any color to each. Then decals are placed on top. It's a bit like rocket league's but with an unlimited range of colors. Will be the same for helmets and driver overalls.
Attachments
PTE.png
GTT.png
RTT.png
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Impressive guys. Thanks for the big effort!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I like the art style... but of course, the physics are the most important thing. I'd love to see how a car looks driving on a track... once it's ready, of course!
I like short, simple signatures!
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

The new progress is really great!

By the way, how many liveries a car model will have? And can I help on making some for the cars?

Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

I need demo. I need demo. I need demo. I need demo. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

It's looking too good already, only the cars look a bit too detailed for this scenery, but we'll see how it will all look like together.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

I think, in my humble opinion, that this should have it´s own forum in here.

What do you think? ;)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Most certainly once we get to a point where we can try the game, we need a forum for this :)
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

puttz wrote:Most certainly once we get to a point where we can try the game, we need a forum for this :)
Precisely that's the plan. :)
blastawaythewall

Many thanks for the encouraging comments. @puttz Trigger was kind enough to let us know about this possibility which is just super! Feedback will be very useful after the demo, and discussing other areas as well will surely be a big help.

The tests with the prototype track have gone very well. We do need to keep an eye on the number of objects rendered at once because there can be a loss of frames if it gets too crowded, but so far it's stable running at 85-95 fps on a good PC, and 50-65 on a weak PC, without baked shadows and light so a build should run at a constant 60 fps without problems. Shadows, reflections and number of objects will be adjustable eventually. During the weekend we'll be testing performance with circuit and car lights.

@Rendy That would be lovely, however working on skins at the moment is not easy without a viewer with the shader built-in. Please give us some time and after releasing we'll get it built.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Circuit and cars lights? That sounds like a day/night transition!? Endurance racing!? I have not enough of these to put here: :bg:

Three random questions:
Will you implement some kind of adjustable dynamic weather??
And about the cars, how many cars do you think we will be able to see on track?
Do you plan to add multi-class racing?
Elharter

Post by Elharter »

Really really good job! Well done! Looks impressive!

Pleaaaaasse inform us quick if there is demo available!
blastawaythewall

@Black Rebel Day/nignt transition is the target. It's heavy on graphic performance so we're not yet 100% sure. This week however we've found a few tricks that helped so it's looking good. Dynamic weather won't be featured though, at least in the launch version. The problem is the transition, ie a gradual impact on the car when track conditions change, or a drying racing line when it stops raining, or making things look wet.

Our target for number of cars on track is 10. Multiclass racing would need some time to get built but perfectly possible. Won't be there in the beginning but if it becomes a frequent request we'll get it built.

@Elharter Some way to go but getting closer :)

We've been also working on a personal favorite of mine, Sprint cars. There's no car model yet but very soon. Oval racing feels good, at least on dirt. Looking forward to drive against another car.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Sprint cars and dirt ovals :shock: Now you've really got me sold as if you didn't already :bg:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Hmm, I'd like to see more than 10 cars.... why even have a limit? Just let us add as many as we want, even if the game runs slow or something...

Weather is hard. Look at MiniRacingOnline, it's a top-down game that does a really good job with it.

Dirt oval racing sounds fun!
I like short, simple signatures!
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Ok, thanks for the answer. :bg:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

bduddy wrote:Hmm, I'd like to see more than 10 cars.... why even have a limit? Just let us add as many as we want, even if the game runs slow or something...

Weather is hard. Look at MiniRacingOnline, it's a top-down game that does a really good job with it.

Or perhaps setting how many cars can be visible when more than 10 cars are on the grid, when it does implemented?

Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Rendy wrote:
bduddy wrote:Hmm, I'd like to see more than 10 cars.... why even have a limit? Just let us add as many as we want, even if the game runs slow or something...

Or perhaps setting how many cars can be visible when more than 10 cars are on the grid, when it does implemented?
That sounds as a good idea, so everybody can set the game up to his own PC standards.
blastawaythewall

It is mostly because we though it would be a good number, the same as in RC races and kind of in proportion with track sizes which are going to be lapped in 20-30 seconds. There are some benefits for online racing as well. But let us think about this and see what we can do. There is another small issue as well. We would need the same amount of pit crews available, and straights could end up too long. Would really like to hear some suggestions and opinions here...

I'm quite sure many of you know but this past weekend was pretty sad as the world lost Bryan Clauson, a great dirt car driver, at the Midget Nationals. Raced anything he could get his hands on and was on course to do 200 races this year. Named his dog Chevy and re-named him Honda for the Indy 500 lol. He will be missed. I hope his family can find strenght.

These days have been about steady progress and lots of technical art. This is Alberto working on texture transitions for Rallycross tracks.
Attachments
BTXT.png
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

About pits and pit crews, it will depend of the Lmap size I think. Per example, in the physics demo video you posted, the map seemed way bigger than the squared Lmpa we use here at GR, so there shouldn't be a problem to fit more pits there. If that is the case and the Lmap is bigger, laps will be longer aswell.

If the main idea was to set the amount of cars up to 10, maybe setting it up to 12 is not such a problem and already is the double amount than in GR. :up: Traffic would be still good.

Thanks for keeping us updated and for you work guys! Keep it on! :bg:

P.D.: Indeed, it is really sad every time a driver dies... :vsad: ...this guys seemed to be a good guy.
bgcatfan

Post by bgcatfan »

I think this looks really good so far. Those car models look really good. Keep up the good work! :)