Web browsers

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.

What web browser you're using?

Internet Explorer
10%
Mozilla Firefox
50%
Google Chrome
30%
Safari
No votes
Opera
7%
Other, which?
3%

Total votes: 70
resir014

Re: Web browsers

Post by resir014 »

Jonzu95 wrote:Few weeks ago, I had enough about of Firefox. it took lots of my memory so I deleted it. :mad:
Then I downloaded Chrome, it doesn't take lots of memory from my computer. :bsmile:
Strange. I think the opposite. :shrug:

Chrome just lags on some websites on my PC, and although occasionally slows, FF works just fine.
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Just a question, if somebody tried, what are your impression from Firefox 4.0, please?
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yep, I am currently using it myself and I have to say I won't be changing back to 3.6

First I was a bit disappointed to see that the support for many of the plugins I had in 3.6 were not compatible anymore, (and most haven't still been updated), but it seems they have also integrated many of the features in the browser itself now. The 4.0 is clearly faster and more reliable, it hasn't crashed once during the month I have used it now, even under heavy stress and high amount of flash pages open and running. The UI can be changed to look pretty much exactly the same as the old one, just the buttons look a bit different (for now, at least).
I don't really have anything to complain on it, if there was something you didn't like previously (except for the performance and reliability), it is pretty likely still there.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Switching to Firefox 4.0 myself for now, it was a right pain trying to get it to log in here, but eventually sorted it (cookies needed deleting for it to accept my captcha code, quite why I needed one I don't know...)
Vilkku

Post by Vilkku »

Before I used mostly IE, because I liked it's look and so on. It was okay to use so I didn't bother to download Firefox. After time I heard how good firefox is so I decided to download it. I found somehow easier to use so I started use it (still using also IE) . I didn't see any difference with perfomance between IE and FF.

After I got Windows 7, I started to have huge problems with IE. After while it didn't bother even start again, so my only choice was now to use Firefox. For my disappointment, it started to crash very often and I got annoyed for not keeping auto-log in many forums. Safari was ok, but really boring and slow.

Then my hero came. Google Chrome. It was just super fast to use, easy and nothing is wrong. It still crash once a week, but it's nothing for my earlier problems. I will stay for as long as I can. :drink:

It looks some guys have problems with some browsers, but others doesn't have. Google Chrome is just best for me.

Browsers with Win7:
IE 1 :exstar:
Safari 2½ :exstar:
Firefox 3 :star:
Google Chrome 4½ :star:

I wrote this really quickly, so there might be many grammar errors. :compko:
My signature was too long.
Paw

Post by Paw »

From what I can see, I'm not going to switch from FF3 to FF4. Having the tabs on top of the window (longer changing tabs, what is important, with my hundreds of simultaneous tabs open), strange new "Firefox" button, joining the "reload" and "stop" buttons. Not a big deal, but for me all the things were just perfect in FF3 and for me it's the dumbest thing to change that. I'm too used to FF3, so it would only annoy me. You know, similar case like with the Win7 inability to move eg. some shortcut from desktop into folder which is opened and is minimised by dragging and hovering it over toolbar. Something what worked fine is being changed. :vsad:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Paw wrote:From what I can see, I'm not going to switch from FF3 to FF4. Having the tabs on top of the window (longer changing tabs, what is important, with my hundreds of simultaneous tabs open), strange new "Firefox" button, joining the "reload" and "stop" buttons. Not a big deal, but for me all the things were just perfect in FF3 and for me it's the dumbest thing to change that. I'm too used to FF3, so it would only annoy me. You know, similar case like with the Win7 inability to move eg. some shortcut from desktop into folder which is opened and is minimised by dragging and hovering it over toolbar. Something what worked fine is being changed. :vsad:
You can actually move the tabs back down where they were originally, you can get the toolbar back, and I guess you can also split the reload and stop buttons. :) That's what I meant with the FF4 being almost identical with FF3, you can change almost everything back to how they were.

Edit: To prove the point, here is a comparison of what my FFs look like. http://koti.mbnet.fi/gameboy/Piilo/Foxes.jpg
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I was thinking same like Paw, but then I realized, that it's just default settings and found the option to have back the menu and the tabs like it was (which I don't like e.g. on Opera). But I haven't find way, how to move home and refresh buttons back next to forward/backward button. Any idea, 1nsane, please? :D
Paw

Post by Paw »

Ah, that's good. I may switch to it someday. You know, I got bad experiences, eg. with forementioned Win7 function or Google destroying their own image search, where developers made the options irreversible. Well, almost, you can access old google image, but anyway it needs some effort. Good that it's not the case.
The MNZ

Post by The MNZ »

Doesn't exist a good IE version compatible with XP. The IE8 maked surprisingly 20 points on test Acid 3. The most near points are obtained by the Firefox 3.6, what has 94...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:I was thinking same like Paw, but then I realized, that it's just default settings and found the option to have back the menu and the tabs like it was (which I don't like e.g. on Opera). But I haven't find way, how to move home and refresh buttons back next to forward/backward button. Any idea, 1nsane, please? :D

When you right click any of the toolbars in an empty spot you can see the edit/modify/(i don't know what it read there, but the last one on the list). When you click it, you get to the mode where you can move all of the buttons freely around. Now you can just click and hold on any of the buttons you want to move and drag them where you want them to.

I just checked out whether it is possible to separate the refres and stop, and it is, if you put another button or an extra space between them. When they are next to each others, they will be combined. I guess there might be a way of getting them to be seen next to each other by digging a bit deeper into the program, but the easiest way is that.

Going a bit sidetrack, but Paw, how do you actually change the google image search to the old look? I don't like how they hide all the information about the pictures..
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1nsane wrote:... When you right click any of the toolbars in an empty spot you can see the edit/modify/(i don't know what it read there, but the last one on the list). When you click it, you get to the mode where you can move all of the buttons freely around. Now you can just click and hold on any of the buttons you want to move and drag them where you want them to ...
Thank you. :heyea:
Paw

Post by Paw »

1nsane wrote:Going a bit sidetrack, but Paw, how do you actually change the google image search to the old look? I don't like how they hide all the information about the pictures..
You need to make custom search in FF with this as adress:

http://www.google.com/images?q=%s&sout=1

@edit
Forums seem to break the address, just copy it.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's not necessary just go to google pic. search, search something, scroll down (or press End on your keyboard) and in bottom (under button ''more results'') is option ''turn to basic version'' or something similar in your language. ;)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Trigger Happy wrote:It's not necessary just go to google pic. search, search something, scroll down (or press End on your keyboard) and in bottom (under button ''more results'') is option ''turn to basic version'' or something similar in your language. ;)
Agh. :doh: I never scroll that down in the image search so I have completely missed that button. Thanks. :)
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Just downloaded Firefox 4 now, and had no problems with it so far. :D

EDIT: Well, apart from the missing plugins thing. :shake:
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Switched to Google Chrome.

Seems good. :yummy:
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

resir014 wrote:Just downloaded Firefox 4 now, and had no problems with it so far. :D

EDIT: Well, apart from the missing plugins thing. :shake:

How I miss the download statusbar... :(
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Firefox 4 is still working fine for me, added Adblock Plus after finally getting fed up with popups. xD
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

If I knew that noscript is already updated to FF4, I'd download it - does anyone know?
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yep, looks like it should work with FF4 too.

And I think the downloads can still be moved to the statusbar. Don't ask me how, though.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I now downloaded Firefox 4 because I caused some problems with stealty (proxy thing to see youtube vids that you can't view because of the land you're living in) in FF3, so I had to update to FF4 cause every page needed half a minute to load or longer and I already uninstalled that tool to set it back ;)
But I didn't have any problems so far :bsmile:
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

You were right, the Download Statusbar works on 4.0. :bsmile:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

Google Chrome sucks compared to FF. ads everywhere and its so complicated to put a site to favorites. I never managed to do that.
I only use it at my school, I downloaded it to the computer, because IE really sucks...

Only good thing is that its super fast and much faster than firefox. I just like firefox more than google Chrome.
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ