Music taste

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Quklis

Re: Music taste

Post by Quklis »

Mainly electronic music, The Prodigy as a big favorite.. Went to their gig when they visited Helsinki in October. Otherwise subgenres like Breakcore, Breakbeat, Drum 'n' Bass, various House..

Best artists/bands at the moment;
Babylon Disco
Black Sun Empire
Boys Noize
Cut & Run
Daft Punk
Deadmau5
Evol Intent
Justice
Kraftwerk
Pendulum
The Prodigy
The Qemists
The Slag Brothers
Venetian Snares
Wolfgang Gartner
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

Yeah, my music taste is mostly very heavy/fast metal. Thrash Metal :up:

Well... I don't have so many bands I listen to, but here's some of them:

Iron Maiden: I would name it my all-time favourite... Yeah, it's not thrash metal but anyway, what a band! I have 12 of their studio albums (all except those where Blaze Bayley was singing), Live After Death double live CD, and many DVDs. I also was at their gig on Helsinki Olympic Stadium in July 2008 :)

Dio: Ronnie James Dio has been my very favourite vocalist all the time, and he is also such a magician as writing songs! Of course I mainly listen to his solo band Dio, but also other bands' music where he has sung, mostly Rainbow and Black Sabbath with Dio.

Megadeth: I have 7 studio albums now, and listen to Megadeth surely every day, maybe my favourite speed/thrash metal band. Their newest album Endgame is really good! :D Dave Mustaine is a real magician as well... I'm really surprised that he hasn't changed at all during 20 years! (look at my avatar... :trampo: )

Metallica: Well... their music style has changed a lot during years. I prefer the first three albums, and some songs of the ...And Justice for All album. I don't like the Black album very much, however Enter Sandman is a great song. And albums like Load and ReLoad, they are sh*t IMO. I also have few DVDs.

Slayer: I haven't listened to so much of their discography, but I have all four studio albums that was released in 1986-94. Maybe South of Heaven is the best album. Ha, and I just love Araya's style! :rocks:

Pantera: I like the four albums from years 1990-96. Especially Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. Anselmo's vocaling style is just really insane, and a pleasure to listen to. and RIP Dimebag Darrel, on of the best guitarists ever.

As I mentioned, I like the old-school thrash metal. For example, I have the following (great) albums from different bands:

Anthrax: Among the Living (WOW. This is a real masterpiece. It has 9 songs, and I really have to say that there's no any fillers nor drops at all... Every one of those just rock. Hard. :band: )

Kreator: Pleasure to Kill (This is surely the most brutal and the fastest album I have. Very cruel, but precisely-played German teutonic thrash metal. Yeeeahh!)

Sodom: Persecution Mania (Another great teutonic thrash album. :D)

Obviously, I'm an old-school metal man. Metal up your a*s!! :band:
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Vasco da Gama wrote:Fatboy Slim
Hehe, we listened to this on New Year's - brought some memories back... You've got some cool names on your list, I must say, even though most of them are unfamiliar to me.
AleksiNir wrote:Dark Tranquillity
Their debut album was one of my favorite albums about... 13 years ago... Haven't heard them since The Mind's I.
Krisu wrote:Anthrax: Among the Living
This one also brings some memories. I was so bummed out when they canceled their Finnish Sonisphere gig last summer...

I have to say that almost all of you who have posted to this thread have some great stuff on your lists. :mrgreen:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Buka wrote:And is Deadmaus something good? I'm not fan of electronic music, but sometimes I like to liesten something like that.
Deadmau5 produces minimal/electro house mostly. Imo his best songs are made wih Melleegresh, though. Then the dirty sounds are accompanied with dirty lyrics. NSFW stuff.

@ Vasco: Yup, that's a nice list... I've listened to nearly all of them.

Have to put a more complete list of my music soon.

Edit: Welp, here comes some sort of a list. Def. not complete, though. In a horrible order too. Gosh, am I a bad person.

Basshunter (The pure and clear number one spot, actually)
Italobrothers (TuneUp! & Italobrothers - Colours of the Rainbow being the most listened song. A well deserved spot.)
Cool & Create
Alex K
Technoboy
Alstroemeria Records
Nomico
Davide Sonar
Abyss & Judge
Da Tweekaz
Michael Mind
Konrad W.
Donkey Rollers
Melleefresh & Deadmau5
Manian
Spy47
Cascada
Razor
Arkus P.
Showtek (Woop woop, waiting for the latest album to come in mail alongside some hardstyle wear.)
Illuminatorz
DJ Jean
Headhunterz
Mohican Sandback
The R3bels
IOSYS
Tiësto
D-Block & S-Te-Fan
Scooter (Woop woop, the latest two albums are so perfect)
Dark E
The Prophet
Sharpnel
Wideboys
Infected Mushroom
U.S.U.R.A
Alan Aztec
Noisecontrollers
Lisa Lashes
Paul Van Dyk
Angerfist
Killer Clown
Lengo
Frontliner
Scope DJ
KB-Project
Zany
Blackout Crew
Andy Farley
Lab 4
Sergio Torcal
Synphonetic
Scope DJ
A-Lusion
Benny Benassi
Technikal
Andy Whitby
Coone
E-Nomine (Gospel + electronic music + choir = Perfect combination)
Succargo
Proteus
Lisa Pin-Up
A*S*Y*S
Kamui
Zatox
Dark Oscillators

Edit 2: Hahah, uhh... I just scratched the surface and it started to become too long. :roll:
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Here is few my favorite albums:

Ajattara: Itse, Kuolema, Tyhjyys, Äpäre, Kalmanto, Noitumaa
Diablo: Icaros, Mimic47
Insomnium: In The Halls Of Awaiting, Since The Day It All Came Down, Above The Weeping World, Across The Dark
Iron Maiden: All albums except the ones with Bayley :D
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

Well my top5 bands are:
Metallica (I saw them 15.6.2009 in Hartwall Arena)
Guns N' Roses (Axl's voice is amazing)
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Scorpions

So, I'm kinda Hard N' Heavy -guy :rocks:
And the story was whatever was the song what it was
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

I've been to Yes last october. Great concert, altough a pity Jon wasn't there...but Benoid is a good replacement.
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

Hi all, AleksiNir is forcing me to get back to GR so here I am! (I'm DiSi!, I just changed name :D)

Rock:
1) Jimi Hendrix - One of the best guitarrists ever, the best music I like to play
2) Queen
3) Creedence Clearwater Revival

Metal:
1) In Flames - Melodic death metal band from Sweden
2) Metallica
3) Atheist - another death metal band, technically awesome and with some jazz influences

Jazz:
1) Al Di Meola - Very good fusion jazz guitarrist, many of his songs are quite the same though
2) Theolonious Monk
3) Louis Armstrong

Classical:
1) Antonio Vivaldi
2) Niccolò Paganini - Italian composer who made very nice nice guitar pieces (Caprice n. 24 is my favourite)
3) Isaac Albeniz

@ 1nsane: LOL, I don't know any of those
Signatures are overrated
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I don't think my latest video production gives away my musical taste does it...? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldbpd_sKXVs

But yes, having purchased all the available remastered albums produced recently, I have become a big Kraftwerk convert. Other notables on my playlist include the ever wonderful Sven Vath, Gigi D'Agostino, Prezioso featuring Marvin (because anyone famous called Marvin is a winner in my book) and Hypetraxx. Some of the latest catchy editions include Miike Snow, Justice and also PNAU. But whatever happened to be the biggest tunes on the MTV2 Official Dance Chart of Germany during 2001 and 2002 were all good.

But with a playlist totalling 6 and a half hours, it's a clear win for the robots... :rolf:

The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Now im listening:

Swallow The Sun
Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus
Rammstein
Kreator
Ajattara
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

GRF wrote:Rammstein
I personally don't like them but musically, it sucks as a true METAL group... In Flames FTW :)
Amilton

Post by Amilton »

I enjoy Black Sabbath, Queen and the Ramones... :rocks:
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

Don't consider my avatar when thinking about what music I like.

The only "obviously he likes" bands I like are My Chemical Romance and...

...and...

...well, I think it's just this one.

I like Death, Metal, Death Metal, Scream (OK, OK, I like some screamo too), Death Scream Metal, some 70/80's Punk, Nu Metal, Death Punk Screaming Nu Metal (?!?).

Would anyone think I like Slipknot or SOAD?

BTW:

James "The Rev" Sullivan (Avenged Sevenfold drummer), rest in peace.

"The drummer of metalcore rock band Avenged Sevenfold, James Owen Sullivan, has been found dead at his California home located in the United States. Sullivan, better known as "The Rev," was found dead on Monday at his home in Huntington Beach at around 1:00 p.m. (PST). It is believed that the 28-year-old died of natural causes."
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

RodSk8Punk wrote:"The drummer of metalcore rock band Avenged Sevenfold, James Owen Sullivan, has been found dead at his California home located in the United States. Sullivan, better known as "The Rev," was found dead on Monday at his home in Huntington Beach at around 1:00 p.m. (PST). It is believed that the 28-year-old died of natural causes."
Sucker... "Mister" Sullivan was too cool I guess?? He could not die at 27 like everyone, no? It's the age of the dead of the great ones - He's not
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

The Great Falcon wrote:
RodSk8Punk wrote:"The drummer of metalcore rock band Avenged Sevenfold, James Owen Sullivan, has been found dead at his California home located in the United States. Sullivan, better known as "The Rev," was found dead on Monday at his home in Huntington Beach at around 1:00 p.m. (PST). It is believed that the 28-year-old died of natural causes."
Sucker... "Mister" Sullivan was too cool I guess?? He could not die at 27 like everyone, no? It's the age of the dead of the great ones - He's not
Haha, you're funny.

Die, please.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Haruna Say wrote:
The Great Falcon wrote:
Haha, you're funny.

Die, please.
You do know the story about dying at your 27th I assume?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I agree with Haruna, that simply wasn't funny TGF. Joking about death in this manner never is. There's a difference between black humour and being plain sick. You're doing the latter.
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Luke, I suppose the problem with TGF's jokes is that part of the "humour" gets lost during the translation from french to english? :roll:
I've read this thread also, but I learned to cope with his -call it black humour, call it sarcasm, call it irony- so I'm not offended by it anymore.
You seem to go up in the air each time he makes a joke like this again and again. :rage:
Just keep cool, don't get upset. ;)
Raska

Post by Raska »

I mainly agrees with TLN.

Of course joking about death should be made only in some circumstances, so it wasn't the place and surely not the moment for a such joke.

Now back on the topic guys, keep cool (TGF, Haruna, Luke).. The topic is about music taste and the tastes aren't to be discussed but shared.
You are a part of the community, so vote for the ToM Track of the Month

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

All my results thanks to the GWR
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

Lukeno1 wrote:[...]Joking about death in this manner never is. There's a difference between black humour and being plain sick. You're doing the latter.
I also don't think it could be considered a joke. Like, when I say I can't wish a long life for someone with cancer, it's kind of black humor (though it still sound rude and evil), now his comentary sounded as a pure critic, without considering the dude's fans...

...well, let's get back to the topic...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Soo... I decided to do a "1nsane's Hardstyle 101" set. It is partly my top 101 list of hardstyle, but it is also meant to "teach" the style for other people. So, 2,5 hours of banging kicks and beautiful melodies. Everything from the beginning of hardstyle to the latest tracks and hits. You all should atleast check it out. ;) If nothing else, alteast the last 20 or so minutes. Via Megaupload

And also, for the people that don't know it yet. Yes, I produce music myself. You can hear the tunes here: 1nsane's Youtube page.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Just before I start typing this, my MediaPlayer hit some song of the Artist well known by Finnish guys I may say: Seleniko. It rocks Ithink :D :yummy: Very amazing music :band:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

The Great Falcon wrote:Just before I start typing this, my MediaPlayer hit some song of the Artist well known by Finnish guys I may say: Seleniko. It rocks Ithink :D :yummy: Very amazing music :band:
First I thought you meant artist called Seleniko but after googling I noticed you were referring to an album by Värttinä. They do have some good stuff, that's for sure.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

The Great Falcon wrote:Just before I start typing this, my MediaPlayer hit some song of the Artist well known by Finnish guys I may say: Seleniko. It rocks Ithink :D :yummy: Very amazing music :band:
I've never heard of him/them. Doesn't even have a article in Finnish wikipedia. Edit: I've heard of the name Värttinä but can't remember listening to any song by them :scratch:

For the last couple of weeks I've been listening almost only to Dark Tranquillity's music, specially albums Fiction, The Gallery and Damage Done. But there's a couple other albums I've played a lot, At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and In Flames' The Jester Race (what I'm listening to right now)

So obviously I'm into melodic death metal, specially that coming from Gothenburg :D (all bands I mentioned come from that city)

Just thought to tell my favorites if someone happens to share similar music taste with me (or just likes/knows these bands) :rolleyes:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Lately I've been listening to Homogenic by Björk, Bleach by Nirvana, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence by Glassjaw, and Heligoland by Massive Attack (that's the new one) - all great albums.