Goest thou yonder... there, somewhere (the travel thread)

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Goest thou yonder... there, somewhere (the travel thread)

Post by Doorslammer »

Since we have a thread for near about any subject (our photos, silly pics, lawns and credit card numbers etc.) why not a thread about all the exciting places we've all been to. From Azerbaijan to Zanzibar, from the Canary Islands to... uh, Hull, no destination is too dull to talk about.

First proper trip I ever done was to France, namely Ville Morgon and the Beaujolais area. That was a French class trip (well, duh) for 7 days.

Another trip, although a little more domestic related, was the recent trip to Sydney. Only 5 days there, 3 of those taken up by racing and related activities. A visit to the zoo before we left was a must though. In 17 days, there will be yet another episode on a plane, this time to Brisbane. Again, 3 days worth of racing time taken up, but I have got a good bit more freedom on this one, staying for two weeks to see some sights and generally take it all in.

Your turn.
The lost Ninja

Re: Goest thou yonder... there, somewhere (the travel thread

Post by The lost Ninja »

When I was a kid, we were in many different foreign countries, like Norway, Great Britain, Denmark, France, Hungary, Switzerland and Italy.
Nowadays everything's a bit more expensive so I'm traveling less. :(
A few years ago, I went to Istanbul for a week, very nice!
Different culture, architecture, and food.
That was the only time I've been in another continent than Europe. (For a few hours, via a bridge, connecting Europe with Asia.
Every year we take a ride to the beach in Holland, when the weather is good enough.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

I went to Virginia Beach VA twice so I travelled through about all the East coast of the US...
My favorite places are Vermont, Mass and Maine :)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

I absolutely love Switzerland. It is a second home to our whole family :)
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

I was in Portugal with school this spring, it was intended to be just one week trip but it took 12 days because of Iceland's volcanos and we had to drive by bus through the Europe :P

Yesterday had a short one day trip to Tallinn, which is very popular place to travel because it's really easy to go there with ship.

Also a bit longer trip coming this summer, mainly to the other side of the globe to Australia and New Zealand :scratch:

It's been a bit hurry with travelling this year :mrgreen:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Let's see... I've been to the US, Great Britain (England and Scotland), Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Latvia. My first trip abroad was actually when I was 25 but afterwards I've been catching up quite nicely.

My favourite place so far has been New York City.

But I didn't see that thread where I could post my credit card number. :rage:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

I've been traveling a lot, mainly because my parents love it. We go on a trip aboard at least every summer with the whole family, and lately I've been going somewhere together with my dad on shorter vacations.

So... I've been in (chronological order) Sweden maaany times, Denmark (2000 and 2009), France 4 times (1999, 2007, 2008 twice), Spain, Singapore, Czech, Germany, Norway, Latvia, USA, England and Italy twice.
Then also very quick visits to Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Canada, Monaco and Switzerland.

My latest trips were to Rome in start of March, and northern Italy tour in the previous summer. This summer I'm going to Italy again... alone. :shhh:

It's interesting that I have been traveling so much but never been to Finnish people's most visited places, Stockholm and Tallinn :D

I would love to visit China or Japan some day :yummy:
The Noose

Post by The Noose »

Well two times in the s****y Canarian Islands... -.-
Last edited by The Noose on Fri May 21, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
OlafK

Post by OlafK »

Well, I don't travel very much, but I was in Budapest (lovely city), Vienna (also nice, but nothing special), and next month I'm going to visit Prague (looks awesome).

On a side note, it's cool to watch some film on TV or something else and shout "I'VE BEEN THERE!!!!1!1" :D :shhh:
FogoRJ

Post by FogoRJ »

Well, I've traveled a lot for my country that is too large, but met a bit of Europe on two occasions. In 1998 I was in Portugal and Spain and 2001, France and Holland.
From 2002 to 2009 have gone frequently to Argentina and Chile, or holiday or to work (visiting wineries and drinking wine). :D
I have plans of going to Italy in 2011 with my wife. :)
ECOlogic Racing Team
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I don´t travel as much as I´d like to :(. So far I was in Netherlands, France, Germany, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Poland, Slovakia and Ukraine. I´d like to visit Norway, Sweden and maybe Finland this summer in one month :trampo: and next year I want to visit Belgian GP :D

The most interesting from all was trip to Ukraine, it started when we were waiting at border for 3 hours in car, after that policemen was looking into everything in our car. I felt like on trip to past, everything looked like on 30 years old pictures from Czech, buses, streets, houses.... I must say that it was one of my strongest experiences
Last edited by Mad Dan on Sun May 23, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

OlafK wrote:On a side note, it's cool to watch some film on TV or something else and shout "I'VE BEEN THERE!!!! :D :shhh:
This week I watched a film called "Krieg am Niederrhein" (War on the lower Rhine), it's a documantary about the Operations Veritable & Blockbuster, which took place between the Maas and Rhine rivers at the end of WWII.
Only original film-footage of the era was used, and it is very strange to see tanks and soldiers moving & shooting through the place I live, cities in the area were totally bombed out, or Eisenhower, Churchill and Montgomery visiting villages where I use to go shopping. (Xanten, Krefeld, Geldern, Venlo, Kleve, Wesel).
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

In total I have been to:

Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, UK.

I don't really need to go really far away (Asia etc.), altough I would like to make a trip to the US and Australia.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well, I haven't travelled too much. Three times to Greece when I was actually old enough to understand anything. And then the trips to Stockholm and Tallinn...

I'd love to visit The Netherlands, Australia, US, Japan and Germany to begin with. I guess these countries will have to wait until I start earning some serious money.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm so jealous of all of you... I've been out of my country for a total of about 30 minutes, and that was to Canada... nothing wrong with Canada of course, but I'd like something a bit more interesting... :shake3:
I like short, simple signatures!
Buka

Post by Buka »

bduddy wrote:I'm so jealous of all of you...
Agree. Lucky Europeans they are. :rage: I can freely travel to Russia, Belorus and Moldova only, but who need them?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

bduddy wrote:I'm so jealous of all of you... I've been out of my country for a total of about 30 minutes, and that was to Canada... nothing wrong with Canada of course, but I'd like something a bit more interesting... :shake3:
If you, bduddy, would do trip from Helsinki to Berlin, Nice or Edinburgh is same like if you would do a trip from D.C. to N.Y., Florida or Chicago or other kind of crossing states' boarders inside USA. It just looks like a ''big'' thing because formal sovereignty of all the small counties here (so if you cross the boarders here, you immediately feel you are not home - other ''unknown'' language, law, society or even religions sometimes), contrary to USA, where no matter in which state you are, you are still in same country (you're still in the same, safe and yours USA). But true difference is minimal IMHO. ;)
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Ivo Porč wrote:
bduddy wrote:(you're still in the same, safe and yours USA)
Except in Arkansas, as Richard, Jeremy and Captain Slow found out... :rainbow:
dead14vii1640

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Places I've been in the last 8 years:

· Inisde Spain:
- Nearly everywhere in Cataluña
- Bilbao and San Sebastian (Euskadi)
- Burgos area
- Picos de Europa
- Cantabria (specially Santander but also Cabárceno)
- Galicia (Rias Altas AND Rias Baixas)

· Outside Spain:
- Nearly everywhere in the Southern coast of France (from Monaco to Montpellier)
- I once made a tour by car around the Northern part of Italy (Torino, Milano, Venecia, Firenze, Siena and a couple more cities), we almost made 3000 miles in 8 days
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
CaLu

Post by CaLu »

Haven't seen as much from the world as I liked to, but I've been to the UK, France, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium.

Would like to see the Scandinavian countries, Japan, Australia, New Zealand (have some distant relatives over there) and much more countries I can't come up with right now.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I've been to mallorca, florida, austria, switzerland, liechtenstein and italy, this year i'm going to get to france
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Don't take me wrong guys, but I'm not really happy from reading this topic. I see often just a list of countries, nothing more. Like a challenge who will wrote more names in his row. :sorry: I bet this wasn't the basis of Dave's idea. :scratch: So don't forget to attach e.g. what did you like or dislike there, which place/detail made on you an impression, which meal/pub/beach/tree there is your private must-be or simply if you want to return there sooner or later and why. Not necessary to go to deep details, but .. you know what I mean. ;) Cheers and have fun with this topic. :hattip:
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Welp, I guess Stockholm and Tallinn are the sort of "must visit" locations for Finns, so there's not much to tell about those places. I'm planning on going to Stockholm sometime soon again to go visit a certain record store. Then I can buy some more psychedelic and acid and other great old music. :)

But Greece... I like the history of that place. I don't enjoy the sunbathing part that much, but since I went there with my parents, I had to do that too. And since I went there with my parents, they weren't brave enough to just go and drive all around the island. (We visited Rhodes) We did rent a car and drove to Lindos, but that's also more or less a tourist attraction. It would have been nice to see some of the normal people too.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
resir014

Post by resir014 »

The farthest I ever visited is Singapore. :weep:
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Sutinen

Post by Sutinen »

1nsane wrote:Welp, I guess Stockholm and Tallinn are the sort of "must visit" locations for Finns, so there's not much to tell about those places. I'm planning on going to Stockholm sometime soon again to go visit a certain record store. Then I can buy some more psychedelic and acid and other great old music. :)

But Greece... I like the history of that place. I don't enjoy the sunbathing part that much, but since I went there with my parents, I had to do that too. And since I went there with my parents, they weren't brave enough to just go and drive all around the island. (We visited Rhodes) We did rent a car and drove to Lindos, but that's also more or less a tourist attraction. It would have been nice to see some of the normal people too.
Rhodes is a great place! Ive been there 5 times. :bg:
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ