Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Sutinen

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Sutinen »

Dan Hakulín wrote:I´m wondering if anyone made old sudschleife for GR :scratch:
Halama. :mrgreen:
Go to restored tracks section. Its great! :D
.[̲̲̅̅S̲̲̅̅u̲̲̅̅t̲̲̅̅i̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅e̲̲̅̅n̲̲̅̅].YOU FOUND IT! YESH! YESH!
...... ಠ_ಠ
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Yes that is Sudschleife for sure :doh:
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

WTCC: next year will be a bit stronger then this year, with more manufacturers to compete.

First of all, Chevrolet. I think their lineup will remain the same, with Yvan Muller, Alain Menu, and Robby Huff. Why changing, they are most likely to win this year.
Then, there'll be SEAT. If as a customer team (meaning half-factory support) or normal team again, it's a different case. I don't know if they would plan to make any changes, but I'd be a bit afraid, if I'd be Gené or Monteiro. Maybe their luck is, that Rydell will start in the Scandinavian TCC at Chevy Sweden, so no change is expected. Tarquini and Coronel may remain for sure, at least by me.
And, BMW. More question marks about their stay for 2012, but they'll be there next year, with Farfus and Priaulx. They are going to start with a Mini engine (OMG!), and how should I say this... Doesn't sound really good, maybe they'll switch to privateer support later, like now SEAT does.
New will be Volvo. Thanks to their support of Polestar Racing, Robert Dahlgren may take part in the whole season in WTCC. Finally we're going to have again a real support of a manufacturer, except for Chevy of course. Actually, they were beating everyone in Sweden, so it was clearly time to start in the whole season in the world scene.
An other funny name would be Toyota on the list. Thanks to leaving F1, the new rules of WTCC and the start of Japanese TCC in 2013, they might also say yes even for the world championship. With whom? Good question.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I thought Toyota is thinking about WRC :Dy are they joining WTCC for sure?
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Dan Hakulín wrote:I thought Toyota is thinking about WRC :Dy are they joining WTCC for sure?
It's still undecided unfortunately, but if they're going to develop an S2000 car, they could start even in WTCC (that was partially the main reason of WRC's new regulation). Engines are actually wandering from one compo to an other (Skoda's 1.6 engine will be used by SEAT customers, Mini's engine would be used in BMWs.), so maybe I'm too idealistic, but I'd say there's a good chance to see some Toyotas in the field.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Škoda is going to build 1.6 turbo engine? I thought that VW won´t let škoda to partecipate at any world championship because of their Scirocco WRC project :scratch:. But one thing is sure, both championships need more manufacturers. We will see :)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

the Scirocco project is still unannounced (unless i've missed something!), so why not?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Mainly because of inner politics of VW group. VW are angry because Škoda has better sales than them. Because of that škoda had to reduce equipment in cars and many other things...
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

So Lada is not competing at WTCC anymore? It's a shame Skoda can't compete in... Well, any series these days. I'd like to see the Fabia racing again. :)

(BTW, inca4life, please quote people properly next time. I don't want to have wrong words put into my mouth...)
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Fabias will be racing, 100% in private hands in IRC, SWRC. As you know, in WTCC are allowed by VW just Seats, in LMP1 just Audis, in GTs just Lambos, that's reason why Porsche doesn't build LMP1s or GT1s, even if it would be natural according its traditions and prestige or Audi cannot join WRC e.g. with A3. Porsche canjust hope, that they will be allowed to enter the F1 by VW. VW itself focused on Rally Dakar and similar events in few past years, now thinks about WRC. In that case 1.6T WRCs would be VWs, Skoda would produce S2000s and maybe will focus its works team on IRC (then each of the two top rally serieses would be covered by different VW brand). Doesn't matter, which brand is on each engine, it's all about same. :scratch:

I really don't like these ''political'' aspects inside groups in motorsport in general (not only VW, but in cases of PSA, Ford, FIAT etc too), it's pita for many international championships. It's big disadvantage of the merging of brands during '90s for me. :kickcan:

BTW I noticedsome rumors, that Spyker wants Saab to join WRC too. :yummy:
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

the Scirocco project is planned (or rumored of what i've heard) to start in 2012/2013, time enough for the Fabia.

I do still hope NGTC is favored above S1600. 1600cc engines, what the hell?!
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Alonsomania wrote:I do still hope NGTC is favored above S1600. 1600cc engines, what the hell?!
+1
I think BTCC was always the leading championship in finding out new working systems. However, S2000 did work well (ahem, mostly :roll:), but at the end that rulee begun to be too expensive. And if you think better: the supertouring system was an awesome idea, manufacturers joined in huge number also. And where did it start? Yes, in England. And those rules became standard in France, in Germany, in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy, in ATCS (Asian series), and even in the USA! Too bad that system fold yet again of being just too expensive at the end...
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Supertouring series still exist nowadays (most of them in the baltic area). S2000 is hideous at anything larger than medium sized tracks, but is actually quite poor. BTCC is exciting because everybody bumps themselves out of the tracks, WTCC is incredibly poor due to the amount of laps and the selection of tracks.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yeah, I have been saying it just for fun, that BTCC is propably the best series in the world. They seem to have done pretty much everything right with the series. Good tracks. Good amount of laps per race. Good racing. They are letting the racers race and bump to pass. They only give penalties if there is a real need for them.
This is the biggest problem with DTM. They just give some silly penalties if the drivers happen to collide. No one wants to pass if they are afraid of getting a penalty because of a little mistake.

It will be interesting to see what will happen once the NGTC is introduced. Might our racing series' get back to life too? Or well, I guess the series' are still going here. It's just that they never advertise the races. This is something I don't really understand. When the S2000 was introduced, we even had a weekly recap on one of the main channels about the series, showing the action of the race. Then they just stopped. And the races are never advertised in TV, I have never seen an ad in a magazine nor around the Internet. But still they say that there's more people watching the races than ever before. I mean... How? If no one knows about the races, how can they go watch the races?
Last summer we had a special race in Helsinki. A city/port race where there were some bigger starts participating too, such as Mika Salo. Räikkönen and Vettel were supposed to join it too, but they didn't have time. But then, the event. Just a few hundred people came to watch the race. They were expecting thousands. And why did this happen? There was no advertising at all. I personally couldn't go since it was at the same weekend as Assembly, but othrwise I would have gone. I was one of those lucky few who actually knew about the race.
I hope this will change once that new track is built and maybe the new engine regulations are introduced in Finland too.
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

1nsane wrote:Last summer we had a special race in Helsinki. A city/port race where there were some bigger starts participating too, such as Mika Salo. Räikkönen and Vettel were supposed to join it too, but they didn't have time. But then, the event. Just a few hundred people came to watch the race. They were expecting thousands. And why did this happen? There was no advertising at all. I personally couldn't go since it was at the same weekend as Assembly, but othrwise I would have gone. I was one of those lucky few who actually knew about the race.
I hope this will change once that new track is built and maybe the new engine regulations are introduced in Finland too.
Real problem with the event was poor organization. The course was bad, timetables were far late and the commentators were bad and the spectators were left little to none information about the happenings.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Ivo Porč wrote:BTW I noticedsome rumors, that Spyker wants Saab to join WRC too. :yummy:
I heard that too, it would be awesome :D

EDIT: According to rally-magazin.de VW is going to race in WRC since 2013 and Škoda is retiring from IRC 2011, only start at Monte Carlo with Freddy Loix and occasional starts with Kopecky. Hanninenn is going to fight for SWRC tittle next year, although it´s not sure if it´ll be factory supported škoda fabia S2000 or another car.

Also Guy Wilks will replace Meeke at Peugeot UK, Škoda UK is going to continue but with another driver. Proton team is going to partecipate in IRC 2011 too, drivers not sure. ;)

Summary :D
VW -> WRC
Škoda -> SWRC and few starts in IRC
Hanninenn -> SWRC
Kopecky -> ?
Loix -> škoda at monte carlo, next races maybe with different car
Meeke -> Mini WRC team
Wilks -> Peugeot UK
? -> Škoda UK

:D many things are happening in rallying nowadays
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

I have to say, I would really want a good standard for touring cars. This is why I miss the SuperTourers so much, it worked so well with great racing and awesome manufacturer presence. Shame it was on the expensive side though.

Oh, here's another drag racing moment, when yours truly was watching a Mustang heading in his direction rather quickly. Not even a flinch from (the rather stupid) Dave... :P

My view on things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PgsPm0Kto
Alternative angle (you can see me wearing the fluoro vest with red shirt next to the blue and yellow photographer on the third run): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILrGlOsy_A&feature=sub

Oh, I also know we love our cartoons from yesteryear, so please enjoy probably one of my favourite openings I have created for the SERV team. If you can't have fun with it, then what can you do? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmyUjfJEug

Connoisseurs amongst the crowd may recognise and reminisce the opening to "Larry and Steve", Seth MacFarlane's Hanna-Barbera short cartoon.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Wow, I would have probably had some quick ducking action going on at that point.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Opel rumoured to join DTM in 2012. So that would make Mercedes,Audi,BMW and Opel. SuperGT almost sure to use the same ruleset, Nissan likely for DTM, other manufacturers can easily join too.

Rumours say GrandAm is going to use a same ruleset for 'American DTM' so likes of Ford,Chevrolet etc could also join those series.

In the best possible way you have a series with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Opel, Nissan, Lexus, Toyota and Ford (factory) teams.
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Alonsomania wrote:In the best possible way you have a series with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Opel, Nissan, Lexus, Toyota and Ford (factory) teams.
And Honda and/or Acura.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

Alonsomania wrote:Opel rumoured to join DTM in 2012. So that would make Mercedes,Audi,BMW and Opel. SuperGT almost sure to use the same ruleset, Nissan likely for DTM, other manufacturers can easily join too.

Rumours say GrandAm is going to use a same ruleset for 'American DTM' so likes of Ford,Chevrolet etc could also join those series.

In the best possible way you have a series with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Opel, Nissan, Lexus, Toyota and Ford (factory) teams.
That's fantastic news. Not only does it save money for different series of mixed popularity around the world in making such a move, it also brings much needed diversity to said series as well.

If only the V8 Supercars were clever enough to follow suit. Don't hold your breath though... :shrug:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I hope not. I'm personally not interested in fake ''touring cars'' like dtm or nascar (I know, USA says ''stock cars'' instead of it :roll: ). Aussies seems to be last surviving cars at least little bit related to touring cars, but still with somehow impressive engines. :(
Buka

Post by Buka »

I finally watched the first WTCC race in Okayama. With rain like F1 in Korea, but with much more fun. These races are what races meant to be IMO. Battles between Coronel and Taniguchi, Priaulx and Huff, Farfus and Tarquini were very impressive. And my fav Colin Turkington was finally back. :hyper: Really, this guy will be among leaders in the next year which I will wait with impatience.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Ivo Porč wrote:I hope not. I'm personally not interested in fake ''touring cars'' like dtm or nascar (I know, USA says ''stock cars'' instead of it :roll: ). Aussies seems to be last surviving cars at least little bit related to touring cars, but still with somehow impressive engines. :(
DTM are silhouettes and NASCAR are stock cars, not touring cars.

WTCC was average, not more than that. That series has some serious issues.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

that was I talking about. That DTM and NASCAR are silhouettes = fake touring/stock cars.

IN USA a stock car means a car, which you can buy in showroom. European a touring car is pretty same meaning. Or not? :scratch: