Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
Rendy

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by Rendy »

Mad Dan wrote:That was amazing first stage from him :yummy: I was never his fan but he made great return :bg:...
I expect a brave duo between Loeb and Kubica, although I don't follow WRC much...

Anyway, might be very late, but here's my post about this year's Dubai race. Rolex 24 is on the horizon, and so does BATHURST 12 HOUR!!! (I'm so excited for this year's, I had to use all caps for this). What's interesting though is that now this year Dubai isn't the only business, 24H SERIES is, and the Dubai race is just a part of the series.
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Göteborg City Race is no more - at it's place will be......................real estate area
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

It's really sad. :(
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Gzehoo

Post by Gzehoo »

Anybody watches MotoGP?

This week there will be pre-season tests in Sepang.
Chairman of Lambda Motosports Cars
Lambda Motosports
Team Manager | Gzehoo on GWR

[*] Grand Tour Trophy (2011-2017) [*] International Endurance Series (2012-2017) [*]
GeneRally Polska Discord Server
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Ahh, Daytona 500, truly marks the start of motorsport season to me. :) (And it's on now)
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Yeah, I'm watching it via Web-Stream. :)
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

It ended the way I figured it would, no one would be able to get by the leader off of a green-white-checker restart.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Too bad Earnhard got pushed so far back at that one point. Seeing how he pushed himself back up, he would have at least given Logano some kind of fight. It was a great race though, especially until that last yellow.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I just found this completely hideous LMP3 protoype :lol: . It might as well be the ugliest racing car ever..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Mad Dan wrote:I just found this completely hideous LMP3 protoype :lol: . It might as well be the ugliest racing car ever..
Looks almost like a chibi LMP.
90% of the ugly is the paint, give it a proper livery and it'll look fine...
I like short, simple signatures!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Somehow with the painting and overall design they've made it look like they drive it the wrong way around.

In FIA news, it's cool to see Stefano Domenicali getting a job from them. Domenical seemed like one of the nicer team principals while he was at Ferrari. And even though FIA is as rotten as it is, hopefully this will now bring back some of the focus on the single seaters and F1 that was lost when Todt got the main seat in FIA.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Well, today we learned that the new Indycar aerokit front wings (particularly the Honda ones) turn into debris very easily. I think there were 3 or 4 cautions caused by pieces of front wing lying in the racing groove. Ridiculous.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Didn''t they make some of the aero development less regulated in Indycar? Like that front wing stuff for example? Or am I just remembering something else and mixing it up with random data in my head? Also, did they throw full course caution for the debris?

If they do have custom made front wings, Honda might want to look into their stuff breaking up both in F1 and Indycar.. :P
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

When front wings were expanded in F1 some years ago, it took a half season or so to drivers to become comfortable with the new dimensions, now there is less of lost wings than used to be IMHO, I estimate same will happen in IndyCars. :)

@ 1nsane: yes, full course yellow. :coffee:
puttz

Post by puttz »

I don't think the wing dimensions changed, though. Just the designs which apparently are more prone to breaking than the old wings.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

Dimensions are the same but the manufacturers got the option of developing their own aero kits on the spec chassis.

I have a feeling that the elimination of the rear pods would help with the issue. Several drivers damaged the front wing due to hitting those. If they are gone there is just empty space.
puttz

Post by puttz »

If the rear pods weren't there they would hit the tires instead. The pods are a safety feature meant to prevent launch crashes, so they won't be going anywhere.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I didn't said Indycars changed their rulebook dimensions (I said F1 did and pointed out a parallel to what happened now in Indycars, because the wing stuff is simply larger and the drivers had no opportunity to accustom to it in close wheel-on-wheel racing yet, so they misjudged the distances in 1st race, it'll settle down quickly IMO like it settled down in F1).
ImageImage
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Heh, okay... Yeah, those aeros are a bit of an overkill. :D
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

puttz wrote:If the rear pods weren't there they would hit the tires instead. The pods are a safety feature meant to prevent launch crashes, so they won't be going anywhere.
Not necessarily, the pods dont take up the same space as the tyres. Yes some would hit the tyre but in the edge cases where you stick the wing in the space where the pod is nothing would happen.
I know why the pods are there, but I'm not sure they are needed for street and road circuits. The main issue with interlocking wheels are ovals.
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Well, all are talkin' about the aero kits, but Chevrolet made catastrophic engines. 11 of 12 Chevrolet engines must be repaired: 220 minus points for Chevrolet (total they have -96 points). :o

I think, Chevrolet only worked on the aero kits and they have forgotten the engines! :shhh:
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

Huh, didn't see that. However, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if they don't care as much about manufacturer points as much as getting strong results from their drivers and teams, the drivers do not get penalty points from engine repairs or changes, only the manufacturer does. More cars up front=more brand visibility and makes them look better.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

So at the end of the season they can advertise "Driver XYZ is the new IndyCar champion with 900 points driving for Chevrolet!*"
"*with Chevrolet getting -700 points"

:D

BTW, did anyone watch the Formula E race? As in, is it worth if to watch it completely, or should I just go for some kind of a recap?
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

1nsane wrote:BTW, did anyone watch the Formula E race? As in, is it worth if to watch it completely, or should I just go for some kind of a recap?
I watched it all, it wasnt the most exciting of races, but I cant imagine you would get particularly bored if you watched it all
Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

Watch from 1:17, Crash in Motoarena