Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
DuklaLiberec

Re: Developer Blog

Post by DuklaLiberec »

RacerBG wrote:New developer blog will be the best idea. I think that there is too much silence and too much delay already.
Glen wrote: :iamsmiling:
As marinator told you, take it easy. I suppose James is having fun with his little one while still being busy at work.... Let us be surprised.
Marco

Post by Marco »

DuklaLiberec wrote:I suppose James is having fun with his little one while still being busy at work....
Exactly :bg: Don't forget that they also have life outside of GR, as we all do. But still, they're making a game and it's not every day that they can give us news about something. :)
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Glen

Post by Glen »

DuklaLiberec wrote:Let us be surprised.
I don't want to be surprised, I want Generally 2 to be as expected
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The silence means they are not only busy by other duties in their RLs or relax somewhere, but mainly that they are also working on improvements of the demo like they mentioned couple of times. It's needed to be ready for the kickstarter so blog can wait a while, cannot it.
One

Post by One »

Glen wrote:
DuklaLiberec wrote:Let us be surprised.
I don't want to be surprised, I want Generally 2 to be as expected
You have to understand that there is a big matter of money behind, they need to raise a consequent sum to develop the game. Subsequently, the public version of the game, that will not only be presented to the community but to the whole world (because a large part of the funders expected aren't (yet) from the community), must be almost perfect, very convincing and baiting. It means a lot of work and a lot of thinking before releasing something that could convince a wide amount of people. That explains (in addition to their respective lives) that it takes time.
a.k.a Lyserg and previously GeneHunter
Glen

Post by Glen »

it isn't about the time, it's about the silence.
puttz

Post by puttz »

They do have regular jobs and life you know. James is the one that updates the blog and public relations stuff, and he recently added a new member to his family, so I'm sure he's very busy helping his wife take care of their baby. I don't begrudge him that, have a little patience, he will update us when he gets a chance.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Marcinho
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Marcinho »

I my opinion "web version" don't show all. I am waiting for "desktop" version.
Sorry for my English :D
Marcinho Motorsports :: GeneRally Championship Association
Generally Touring Cars Challenge :: Season 6
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

What happened? No news in blog since april fool
Glen

Post by Glen »

Even twitter's last post was the 10th of april...
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Well, today is the day we break that silence - as we're announcing the Kickstarter launch date! We've put up a new blog post with some information as to what we've been up to as well :bg:

So start your engines and get ready for the 9th of June :D

Thanks to everyone for their feedback here, on social-media, and directly via email... it's been really helpful in making changes to the game and in deciding upon our final Kickstarter funding tiers and budget!
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Very Cool, i am really excited :D

Cu Crono
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

James, I'm on holiday during that week, will I miss out on any potential limited quantity offers?
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

tonyyeb wrote:James, I'm on holiday during that week, will I miss out on any potential limited quantity offers?
There are some limited quantity perks available (needed simply so we can actually put a finite cap on the budget), but drop me an email to <my name> at curiouschicken.co.uk and we'll work something out for you so you don't miss out :D
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

James wrote:
tonyyeb wrote:James, I'm on holiday during that week, will I miss out on any potential limited quantity offers?
There are some limited quantity perks available (needed simply so we can actually put a finite cap on the budget), but drop me an email to <my name> at curiouschicken.co.uk and we'll work something out for you so you don't miss out :D
That's very nice of you James. I'll try to check Kickstarter while I'm away but if not I'll hopefully (cause you've sold out!) be in touch, thanks very much :)
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

One thing is for sure: You can not expect new people to be interested to the game without releasing the "ordinary" (non-browsered) demo. It's just impossible to enjoy the game while playing it as it's now. A "normal" demo should be downloadable for all the people once the Kickstarter's campaign is started.
It's easy to convince veterans to be horny about the sequel, because we all know exactly what to expect from you.
But I'm quite sure that all the other people will probably be irritated by the current type of demo. Anyway, good luck guys!
Tedminator
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Tedminator »

puttz wrote:Great update! I agree about the wheel thing, the spherical wheels gives GR a unique quality that makes it clear that it is a GR car. Also a big thumbs up :bg: to the lighting and weather features.
lol yeah! it wouldnt be GR unless the wheels and smoke looks like balls :goodvibes:

--

BTW, any plans for making GR2 available via Kongregate/Steam/Desura?
puttz

Post by puttz »

I believe they are considering putting it on Steam Greenlight to be able to get more exposure for the games. If there is an online component, being able to host games and invite people through Steam might be a nice option. Kongregate, I think not because GR has to be downloadable only, it can't be done online because of the extreme modability of the game. The only reason the KS demo is online is to make it simpler for the developers to push updates to it. Although, maybe putting something like the demo version on Kongregate might not be a bad idea, and put a link or ad somewhere in it saying go here to get the better downloadable version for free, or buy the premium version.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Whiplash wrote:One thing is for sure: You can not expect new people to be interested to the game without releasing the "ordinary" (non-browsered) demo. It's just impossible to enjoy the game while playing it as it's now. A "normal" demo should be downloadable for all the people once the Kickstarter's campaign is started.
Yup, you're quite right. In hindsight, the webplayer was less of a good idea than we initially thought. It seemingly has some pretty serious performance issues on some hardware configurations. We're going to be deploying standalone builds for KS and going forward - we're working out the final logistics of that for the KS build this week.
Tedminator wrote:BTW, any plans for making GR2 available via Kongregate/Steam/Desura?
puttz wrote:I believe they are considering putting it on Steam Greenlight to be able to get more exposure for the games. If there is an online component, being able to host games and invite people through Steam might be a nice option.
Yup, Steam is definitely something we're considering. We do want to ensure we have something that's actually generating enough interest first, though - and it's possible we'll launch Greenlight at some point during the Kickstarter funding if everything goes well and we look like we'll meet our target fairly quickly.

For a disclaimer here - our intention will always be to offer 100% DRM-free versions... we hate DRM as much as you guys do (and plenty of indie games on Steam have achieved this with great success by allowing a Steam-downloaded title to still be copied/run outside of Steam). What Valve offer with Steam is a great marketplace... as it gets lots and lots of eyes on your product, quickly :)
Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

James wrote:
Whiplash wrote:One thing is for sure: You can not expect new people to be interested to the game without releasing the "ordinary" (non-browsered) demo. It's just impossible to enjoy the game while playing it as it's now. A "normal" demo should be downloadable for all the people once the Kickstarter's campaign is started.
Yup, you're quite right. In hindsight, the webplayer was less of a good idea than we initially thought. It seemingly has some pretty serious performance issues on some hardware configurations. We're going to be deploying standalone builds for KS and going forward - we're working out the final logistics of that for the KS build this week.
Nice!
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

Hey James,

is there a list where we can find the features you have decided to add to GR2 so far? I am specially asking because the amount of cars on track, but it would be nice to know all the other things you have decided that will be in such as online, dinamic lighting, weather, number of cars, etc. The community would appreciate that now the Kickstarter Campaing is about to start.

THANKS!
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

You can find a very basic list on Kickstarter now:
Features (GR1, GR2 free and GR2 backers)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Okay, sorry, but I have to say I think it's crap to have the paid version be able to have more cars than the free version. It should be the same for both. That is crippling a key feature of the improved version of the new game, which I thi nk is against the GR spirit. The paid version was supposed to be the free version with extra features added, and I wpuldn't consider number of cars to be a "bonus feature" as that can severely change the game experience.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

puttz wrote:Okay, sorry, but I have to say I think it's crap to have the paid version be able to have more cars than the free version. It should be the same for both. That is crippling a key feature of the improved version of the new game, which I thi nk is against the GR spirit. The paid version was supposed to be the free version with extra features added, and I wpuldn't consider number of cars to be a "bonus feature" as that can severely change the game experience.
Well, I'm really sorry to see you feel this way about it. We always take community feedback seriously - and whilst we know we can't satisfy everyone, we do aim to try and satisfy as many as possible.

From our perspective, we made the point very clear from the announcement of the two versions, that the free version would be "at least as feature complete" as GR1. We thought long and hard about what we thought was fair to thank supporters for their contributions, and we believe we found the most reasonable balance between incentivising the fundraising process (to ensure we could deliver GR2 to standard), and maintaining an element of freeware play.

We promised we'd give at least the same level of features to the freeware version of GR2 that were in GR1 - and I believe we're going to more than deliver upon that (for a start, an entirely new graphics engine, cross-platform support, and a drastically improved experience in terms of track-making). Nothing is being 'taken away' from anyone here - without the Kickstarter funding, there wouldn't be 12 cars in a race, there wouldn't be multiplayer, there wouldn't be a whole load of things - there would be upgraded graphics, cross-platform support, some new track editing features, and that'd be about it (presuming we even made it to completion in any reasonable timeframe without any support whatsoever).

For a feature to be 'free' to the community still costs us our time, effort and even our money if we want to do it properly - but, this "GR spirit" (that gets brought up every time someone believes they've somehow been short-changed by having to pay nothing for a game) is somehow not applicable when we put in time and effort to produce a massive upgrade for free? I think that that's a pretty unfair arrangement, to be honest (especially considering the huge amount of time we spend assessing whether features and ideas we've come up with fit with GR's play-style and theme).

In short: we're doing our best here, trying our hardest to make GeneRally 2 a reality... and we gave the community an option: help to fund us and get a free upgrade to GeneRally 2 for everyone; or don't. This deal isn't even close to 'fair' to us - but we're not making GR2 to satisfy some sense of 'fairness', we're making it because we love GR and we believe it deserves a sequel :)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Well if its any consolation, my initial reaction was that it was a pretty good idea to provide this as a 'benefit' to GR2 contributors. Although maybe 8 would have been kinder :shrug: