GeneRally TrackDatabase

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Crono
Forum Admin

GeneRally TrackDatabase

Post by Crono »

Since 2 months I am working on a new trackdatabase. The old one left us a few years ago and never came back. I only saw the database one time before the crash :( So my problem is: I dont know much about the old database ...

There is still a lot to do, but I can show some Screenshots of the progress.
features until now:
upload, edit and download tracks, comments, add tracks as favourites, rate tracks, user profiles, search for tracks, sort tracks and view them as gallery, list or just thumbnails.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

- is there someone who has infos/screenshots/saved websites about the old database?
- suggestions about important features?
- things that were bad in the old database.

Edit: beta-version online

Cu Crono
Last edited by Crono on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alonsomania

Re: [WIP] GeneRally TrackDatabase

Post by Alonsomania »

http://web.archive.org/web/200302130916 ... tracks.php

Missing option to select two track types, definately was back at the old TDB.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

"tarmac kart track " for example. It is not a second category it is the type of the track (tarmac, gravel, grass, etc) you are driving on, right?

Cu Crono
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I don´t know, maybe this could split up GR community a bit :scratch:. But also it´s a thing everybody wanted to have again
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The argument wasn't so much about having one as what could be re-uploaded from the past by other authors I think. I'd love a track and a car database. :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I have no sorrows about a ''splitting'' anything, it seems to be good project. :) Only problem is to keep it order, IIRC the original database was very messy place (lot of crap, duplicities, some abusive content, illegal editions - e.g. of default tracks (like Kutford with added crappy ''banking'' and new name). And even more in order than e.g. database of Planet GeneRally, where regular circuits are in division for street tracks or for ovals sometimes. Another thing could be to display rating by users only if are available at least 3-5 votes or more, then bad track will not have 8/10 because of vote of one rating user.

Edit: I forgot to explicitly mention, that I believe, that Crono can keep it under control and I'm happy, that he's think on it (e.g. the report button visible on one screenshot).
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

True, and an option to block votes for users that would abuse the system by creating lots of accounts to vote their tracks up. Each user would have to link their user to an account somewhere, eg here or on a foreign forum. As that way it is easy to spot multiple accounting for one person... :)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Another thing could be to display rating by users only if are available at least 3-5 votes or more
Done.

Code: Select all

Each user would have to link their user to an account somewhere, eg here or on a foreign forum. As that way it is easy to spot multiple accounting for one person...
Too complicated. I dont think we get a big problem with such users.

Next task for me is adding surface types :)

Cu Crono
Darjo
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Darjo »

In my opinion surfaces aren't needed (probably some will disagree). Normal categories search is already good.
Btw, I'm really happy for this, thank you very much! :)
Signatures are overrated
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Darjo wrote:In my opinion surfaces aren't needed (probably some will disagree). Normal categories search is already good.
Btw, I'm really happy for this, thank you very much! :)
I agree with Darjo, keep things simple...

The thing that I hated the most in the old TDB was the rating system which was constantly abused and it never worked the way that it was meant to. The same story happen with the car databases (none working anymore).

I would simply remove the rating/voting option to avoid any possible abuse. Besides we already have :tom: which was proven to be a rather good rating/voting system for tracks.

BTW, since I'm in the middle of the track restoring task I was wondering if you were thinking about a possibility to re-upload the lost tracks (from RSC and before) to the new database. I'm aiming at those tracks which authors are not around anymore and therefor can not re-upload their work.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Simple sounds allways good for me :D
in the old TDB was the rating system which was constantly abused
About the rating system: I dont know how it worked back then, but in the new database the ratings are account based which means you can only rate if you have an account and you can only rate one time per track.
BTW, since I'm in the middle of the track restoring task I was wondering if you were thinking about a possibility to re-upload the lost tracks (from RSC and before) to the new database. I'm aiming at those tracks which authors are not around anymore and therefor can not re-upload their work.
maybe an extra ("official") account only for that task?

Cu Crono
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Crono wrote:I dont know how it worked back then, but in the new database the ratings are account based which means you can only rate if you have an account and you can only rate one time per track.
If memory serves me right there were accounts there as well. I guess there where also "holes" in the TDB code which allowed the rating/voting abuses.
Crono wrote:maybe an extra ("official") account only for that task?
That could work but, you don't need to focus on that, this can wait. The new TDB has other priorities :)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

hat could work but, you don't need to focus on that, this can wait. The new TDB has other priorities
If you only need a "normal" account there should be no problem ;)

Cu Crono
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

If you wish you can take a look at the beta, however registration is closed at the moment.

Cu Crono
Quklis

Post by Quklis »

Looks good but is it possible to change from eg Crono to Hannu Rabina if you're uploading someone elses track? Would be better if you're restoring someone elses cars or have done the track with someone else.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's just testing uploads.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Yes, as Ivo said, its just for testing :mrgreen: Frontend is ~80% done and I am about to begin writing the backend (for moderators / administrators) - so there is still a lot to do :hammer:

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Just a question - who will be the moderators/administrators? And would you have the time to make a car database for us as well please? :)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I don´t have any moderators yet :sorry:

Car-Database would be possible, but first i have to do the trackdatabase.

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Of course, I was just seeing if you would be able to afterwards. :)
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

ahrdfkj.png
i've noticed a wrong placed image :shhh:
resir014

Post by resir014 »

I have an idea (but I think this would be a big idea). I think we could use only one master GeneRally account to access all websites of the GR network, e.g. ToM, GR homepage, TrackDatabase, etc (except the forum).

What do you guys think?
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

You don't need any account to visit alt. homepage. It's entrance only for its staff, who administrates it (Crono for tech. and me content ATM). Same with CoM (XXY and Crono).

On ToM you don't need registration to downloads etc too, just for taking part in login for ToM Compo. Even if GeorgM plays for long years with idea of a voting system directly inside the ToM interface. Otherwise its inner interface again serves to staff primarily.

TrackDatabase will request accounts only for uploading, if I understood it well.

So if I count well, you need only 2 registrations (forum, TDB), so I have doubts, if it worth. About possibility of technical solution you need to wait on opinion of Crono/GeorgM however. ;)
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

@Otto Wilson: Which browser is this oO

@Accounts: Yes, you only need 2. It would be complicated for me to link the forum account and the tdb account together. registration on tdb takes just 1 minute and without email verification. So I think you can handle that :D

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

I'm getting the same issue as Otto with Google Chrome 6.0.472.63, so that may be what he has.