GeneRally TrackDatabase

General discussion about your experience with the game.
ACM

Re: GeneRally TrackDatabase

Post by ACM »

Just for the heck of it, I finaly decided to give your track database a whirl.

I noticed a problem with the license information area. Even though I set all three permission options to yes, they all still say no in the track details window.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Ops, i forgot to mention: There was an update. New Navigation bar added and the Problem with the license is now fixed.

Cu Crono
Alex

Post by Alex »

Come on everyone let's make 200! :bg:
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
egamad
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by egamad »

Just some things I noticed when browsing today:

1. When you search a blank field, it says "Keyword '' to short!". It should say too short.
2. After you edit your profile settings and click save, you get the "Settings saved!" screen and it stays there. It would be nice to be returned to the settings page after e.g. 3-5 seconds (like in GRIF after posting a comment). The same goes for login screen, logout screen and possibly some others.
3. There are currently 17 pages of tracks in the DB. When you narrow your search to e.g. 1.10 tracks only (7 pages of tracks), it still displays the 17 pages, but if you click on any page above 7, it displays "No tracks in this category!". I think that it shouldn't even show the empty pages.
4. When I limited the search to 1.10 tracks and then again to rally tracks, it displayed all rally tracks disregarding the 1.10 tag. You should be able to limit your search with multiple search options.
5. The search settings system should be changed to use the chosen search options once, instead of saving them as settings.
6. When you upload a track, you have to choose a "category" (track tag). I suggest you change the dropbox of the first (required) category to contain only the first 10 tags (cir-oth), as these are really required for a track. Other tags can additionally categorize the track, but should not be used on their own. Discussion on this point?

This is it for now. I must say I'm glad the DB is expanding the way it is, one of these days I'll find enough willpower to upload my tracks too. :)
Visit My GeneRally site!
Join the Joint Effort Tree (JET) project here!
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Great to see the second tag, i will upload my tracks soonish, this was the only thing i was hesitant about!

Just to say, any chance we can get a link added in the top of the forum or something? maybe next to the 'alternative' link?

Also i noticed that Mirabelle is the first track when sorting all tracks by 'Name' in 'Ascending order' ;)
BRIX

Post by BRIX »

I want to send my tracks there, but it still pops up the message:
Wrong screenshot format

I tried everything. I have used all possible formats. I resized picture to 500 x 313.
I tried to upload with Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Nothing works.
Areen

Post by Areen »

I tried it too. The same problem.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Thank you for the bug-reports :bg: I will soon start working on the next version.

Cu Crono
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

maybe numbers on the bar with selected page in the bottom of the page should be more distinctive, now its too light blue
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Bouncebackability wrote:Just to say, any chance we can get a link added in the top of the forum or something? maybe next to the 'alternative' link?
That would be too much stuff there for a forum menu, so I made a menu at top-right with using Crono's common icons. :)
Buka

Post by Buka »

Trigger Happy wrote:
Bouncebackability wrote:Just to say, any chance we can get a link added in the top of the forum or something? maybe next to the 'alternative' link?
That would be too much stuff there for a forum menu, so I made a menu at top-right with using Crono's common icons. :)
Very useful! Thank you. :clap:
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I have made a Update with some bugfixes:

1. When you search a blank field, it says "Keyword '' to short!". It should say too short.
- Solved

2. After you edit your profile settings and click save, you get the "Settings saved!" screen and it stays there. It would be nice to be returned to the settings page after e.g. 3-5 seconds (like in GRIF after posting a comment). The same goes for login screen, logout screen and possibly some others.
- Added automatic rediction to some pages

3. There are currently 17 pages of tracks in the DB. When you narrow your search to e.g. 1.10 tracks only (7 pages of tracks), it still displays the 17 pages, but if you click on any page above 7, it displays "No tracks in this category!". I think that it shouldn't even show the empty pages.
- Fixed

4. When I limited the search to 1.10 tracks and then again to rally tracks, it displayed all rally tracks disregarding the 1.10 tag. You should be able to limit your search with multiple search options.
- Fixed

5. The search settings system should be changed to use the chosen search options once, instead of saving them as settings.
- Its not meant to be a search - it is a system for sorting the tracks. What about adding a "display all tracks"-button?

6. When you upload a track, you have to choose a "category" (track tag). I suggest you change the dropbox of the first (required) category to contain only the first 10 tags (cir-oth), as these are really required for a track. Other tags can additionally categorize the track, but should not be used on their own. Discussion on this point?
- done

7. maybe numbers on the bar with selected page in the bottom of the page should be more distinctive, now its too light blue
- Now they are better visible than before

also changed:
- signature can be edited again
- increased the lenght of the name-field for longer names from 20 to 60

Cu Crono
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Good job. :bg:

But there's some mess with tracks labelled by stg tag - moderation should not approve circuits with stg. And same for incorrect screenshots. :scratch: However in period after uploading 'till approval I cannot see my track anywhere. Where can I edit if, if I know about a mistake? I think in ''My tracks'' would be nice place - with visible only for up-loader himself and a warning, that it's not approved yet, so nobody of public can see it.

Also I'm not sure, if the page displayed after rating of track should be under the redirecting (there are 2 options).
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

may have been mentioned, but i didn't see it.

Immediately after the upload, tracks aren't available before they've been approved. However if I search for all rwl tracks, there are the rwl tracks I have just uploaded unapproved. The same applies if i search the track name (i.e. 'Edmonton' which i have just uploaded)

If you see what I mean?

---------------

edit:

On some sub categories when searched, (e.g. rwl, roa) where it says that there are more than 12 tracks, the search results only produce one page available to look at, meaning only 12 tracks can be seen
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Yes, thank you! Another bug to fix :D

Cu Crono
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Another I thought I should mention, you cannot 'sort by comments', this produces an error page when clicking 'save'
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Bouncebackability wrote:[...]Immediately after the upload, tracks aren't available before they've been approved. However if I search for all rwl tracks, there are the rwl tracks I have just uploaded unapproved. The same applies if i search the track name (i.e. 'Edmonton' which i have just uploaded)
[...]
On some sub categories when searched, (e.g. rwl, roa) where it says that there are more than 12 tracks, the search results only produce one page available to look at, meaning only 12 tracks can be seen
Fixed :) I also made the current-page-indicator more visible.

Cu Crono
Areen

Post by Areen »

New bug - You can see that there is too many pages (30) but only 27 fits well. You can scroll the site horizontally and some parts are just bugged :P Try to make visible only some pages and one option to write a page (as it is on phpbb) or just make the site a bit wider, but this is an option for a while.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I noticed some bugs when editing a track info. When you go to the edit screen, WS and Length have switched places. Furthermore, at least the [stu] tag gets changed to [oth] when you start editing.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

I want to thank you for this trackdatabase because it's help me to find some great tracks for Generally ! I think it's a good idea but there are not many tracks ... It's just the beginning, right ?
Good work anyway, I found very useful the tracks category search ! :bg:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

I think the database needs some "marketing". People are launching new tracks on the forum but not uploading it on the database. Perhaps some sticky thread on the Track sub-forum would stimulate the track-makers to post their works on the site. Also I would like to advice Crono that the Database need more moderators. I looked in the 'users' tab and notice there is only 1 moderator, and of course the admin.

Guys, please don't let your tracks out of the Database!!! It's such a great place to filter, download tracks of you preferred kind. And the best part is that the TDB is another server to upload your tracks, so if the forums someday crash, or your pc formated and you lost those precious old tracks, they will be alive on this place.
ACM

Post by ACM »

If you think back to the track database of old(that is, if you were around during the time), what made that a booming place for trackmakers was the fact that it was part of the official website where everyone had to go to download the game. The fact that it was readily available for everyone to see, combined with being 'officially endorsed', is what made it so accessible. I think the fundemental issue facing Crono's database is it's this website that exists away from everything else. People who find this game are likely to visit this forum first, and would rather stay here because this is where all the main activity is.

Also. Why would it need moderators? Moderators are only needed if user activity grows too much for one person to manage. Chrono's database shows no sign of such activity.
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

With some marketing, the Database might have more adepts. And at least plus one or two moderators, just in case Crono and the moderator are busy...
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

ACM wrote:If you think back to the track database of old(that is, if you were around during the time), what made that a booming place for trackmakers was the fact that it was part of the official website where everyone had to go to download the game. The fact that it was readily available for everyone to see, combined with being 'officially endorsed', is what made it so accessible. I think the fundemental issue facing Crono's database is it's this website that exists away from everything else. People who find this game are likely to visit this forum first, and would rather stay here because this is where all the main activity is.

Also. Why would it need moderators? Moderators are only needed if user activity grows too much for one person to manage. Chrono's database shows no sign of such activity.
You nailed it on the head - as long as the TDB is only accessible to players through the forum and then one of several tiny, unlabeled buttons in the corner of the screen, no one is ever going to use it. Seriously, why can't this stuff be on the actual homepage? IMO having a more complete homepage with links to the TDB, GWR, ToM and CoM, etc. will give the impression of a more active game and encourage more people to download/participate...
I like short, simple signatures!
felipebart

Post by felipebart »

bduddy wrote:
ACM wrote:If you think back to the track database of old(that is, if you were around during the time), what made that a booming place for trackmakers was the fact that it was part of the official website where everyone had to go to download the game. The fact that it was readily available for everyone to see, combined with being 'officially endorsed', is what made it so accessible. I think the fundemental issue facing Crono's database is it's this website that exists away from everything else. People who find this game are likely to visit this forum first, and would rather stay here because this is where all the main activity is.

You nailed it on the head - as long as the TDB is only accessible to players through the forum and then one of several tiny, unlabeled buttons in the corner of the screen, no one is ever going to use it. Seriously, why can't this stuff be on the actual homepage? IMO having a more complete homepage with links to the TDB, GWR, ToM and CoM, etc. will give the impression of a more active game and encourage more people to download/participate...

That is the kind of marketing that i'm speaking...