To anyone who is into DS or PSP homebrew...

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Maxaxle

To anyone who is into DS or PSP homebrew...

Post by Maxaxle »

Perhaps a port of GeneRally should be made? Both have proper controls, both have decent resolution for it, and I know for a fact that both can handle GeneRally.

Yay or nay?
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: To anyone who is into DS or PSP homebrew...

Post by Herbal »

One word. No. GR source is too complex (that's why the game has some little glitches), first we'd need to sort them out, but I'd say it's totally unnecessary IMO to have the game on PSP
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

1st topic moved to correct section.

2nd IMHO great idea (why not have fun with GR on consoles, Apple machines etc?), but I'm not capable to do it. :shrug:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Lol for quite a while i imagined having a GR port for PS2 only with lots of mods to make it better. About Maxaxle's question, on a ds it would be impossible to make. The screen is too small and the graphics engine is not advanced enough. On the PSP it might be possible because it has a bigger screen, more buttons and a fully advanced accelerated 16 bit graphic system. 8 bit would probably be enough to run GR.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Herbal wrote:I'd say it's totally unnecessary IMO to have the game on PSP
I don't see why it's unnecessary. I have the game Sopwith on my DS, why not have GeneRally on it too?
Alex wrote:Lol for quite a while i imagined having a GR port for PS2 only with lots of mods to make it better. About Maxaxle's question, on a ds it would be impossible to make. The screen is too small and the graphics engine is not advanced enough. On the PSP it might be possible because it has a bigger screen, more buttons and a fully advanced accelerated 16 bit graphic system. 8 bit would probably be enough to run GR.
Don't underestimate the DS! It can play a few first-person-shooters, as well as Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars! Plus, Nintendo is constantly making newer versions of the DS with better graphics and better CPUs. And please don't make the "but Nintendo is blocking homebrew cards all the time!" argument, because all DS versions through the DSi have been unlocked (is that the right term?) for homebrew use.
Ivo Porč wrote:but I'm not capable to do it. :shrug:
This is why I posted this topic. I'm also considering making a request on some DS homebrew site for a port of GeneRally.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Don't underestimate the DS! It can play a few first-person-shooters, as well as Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars! Plus, Nintendo is constantly making newer versions of the DS with better graphics and better CPUs. And please don't make the "but Nintendo is blocking homebrew cards all the time!" argument, because all DS versions through the DSi have been unlocked (is that the right term?) for homebrew use.
Oh, ok. I thought you meant the old versions. The Dsi XL has a big enough screen and better graphics and stuff.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Alex wrote:
Oh, ok. I thought you meant the old versions. The Dsi XL has a big enough screen and better graphics and stuff.
Uhm, actually ALL DS versions can handle GeneRally AFAIK, except for only the most advanced tracks (I'm talking MASSIVE city ones).
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Considering that GeneRally's source isn't open, then a clone would have to be made, and this could easily be toned down in areas to work on either console. :hide:
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Lukeno94 wrote:Considering that GeneRally's source isn't open...
Wait, what!? Oh, man, I thought it was open-source!
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

:rofl: Why do you think that all these proposals for GR 2 have never happened? :rofl: